Author Topic: Shankill tartan and the Ulster boot boys  (Read 21463 times)

stewie

Re: Shankill tartan and the Ulster boot boys
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
I was a member of the Ulster Boot Boys, we wore a brown Ulster tartan scarf, membership was drawn from the Highfield, Springmartin , Woodvale areas, Scoop, twister, Aikey, Jamsie Montgomery, Mearnsy were some of the others, Woodstock tartan was white and Shankill Tartan was red Royal Stewart, the millies wore monkey boots and harrington bomber jackets with no tartan.
twister,mearnsy are still kicking about :)

St.Anthony

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
The tartan gangs were mimicked on the nationalist side as well.  In Unity Flats we had the UFD (Unity Flats Defenders) There were probably more in the gang from outside the area as to actually lived there.  Some but not all wore the tartan (with Green in it) on our shoulders, pockets and elbows. I think it was the Flower of Scotland Tartan.   Saturday afternoons saw running battles in the Smithfield area as well as the bottom of Castle Street and around the Black Man. Sometimes there would be upwards of 100 on either side. I can't remember anyone actually getting a beating on either side as it was usually one big gang of yellow B's chasing another big gang of equally yellow B's. Depending on who had the most men on the day done the chasing.  The sanctuaries were Peter's Hill/Gardiner Street when loyalists got chased and Castle Street when it was the other way round.

river rats

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
Stewie
I remember the tartan starting up and kens the news agent selling the scarf's he never missed a trick. Always had wee girls working for him.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

olelad

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
The tartan gangs were mimicked on the nationalist side as well.  In Unity Flats we had the UFD (Unity Flats Defenders) There were probably more in the gang from outside the area as to actually lived there.  Some but not all wore the tartan (with Green in it) on our shoulders, pockets and elbows. I think it was the Flower of Scotland Tartan.   Saturday afternoons saw running battles in the Smithfield area as well as the bottom of Castle Street and around the Black Man. Sometimes there would be upwards of 100 on either side. I can't remember anyone actually getting a beating on either side as it was usually one big gang of yellow B's chasing another big gang of equally yellow B's. Depending on who had the most men on the day done the chasing.  The sanctuaries were Peter's Hill/Gardiner Street when loyalists got chased and Castle Street when it was the other way round.

agroup of them pulled me of a bike in the loopland area and give me a right beating. one tried to drag me down a entry but luckly afew of his mates pulled him of saying hes had enough ! smashed every window in our house as well. july 72 saw most of the catholics in our parish put out mainly by local tartans something which happened all over.

melv

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
 The other song which was sung went something like, come and see, come and see, come and see, the U.B.B ./?

Does anyone remember the boot stomping and hand clapping that was done to a tune?   sam.
C.O.Y.S.

river rats

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
Did the tartan guys wear Crombie coats?

stewie

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
Stewie
I remember the tartan starting up and kens the news agent selling the scarf's he never missed a trick. Always had wee girls working for him.
:D Ken is still the same rr :D anthing for a few quid ;)

stewie

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
Did the tartan guys wear Crombie coats?
??? i dont think they did mate ???

Giannineo

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:25 PM »
I was a member of the Ulster Boot Boys, we wore a brown Ulster tartan scarf, membership was drawn from the Highfield, Springmartin , Woodvale areas, Scoop, twister, Aikey, Jamsie Montgomery, Mearnsy were some of the others, Woodstock tartan was white and Shankill Tartan was red Royal Stewart, the millies wore monkey boots and harrington bomber jackets with no tartan.
"monkey boots and harrington jackets"....that all? nae knickers? ??? :D

river rats

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »
Was that Jim Montgomery from Dewey street

Giannineo

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:53 PM »
Was that Jim Montgomery from Dewey street
anyone know a Tom Montgomery from Langford Street?

Desmond Harris

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
Hair cut number one. Knee length black coat with breast pocket silk liner pulled out in a neat red flush . Parallels and polished black Doc Martins. Hands in pockets. 1974 Andytown.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »

Was that the guys, or the wimmin... :D
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

You can speak it, but God help you if someone doesn't agree with you

jmac

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
We used to get the material for our tartan scarves in the Spinning Mill, I think it was at the junction of Fisherwick Place & Wellington Place in them days

The UBB wore the Ulster tartan

Shankill tartan was the Royal Stewart
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

roy231

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
ANYONE REMEMBER THE PYT PASS YOUNG TARTAN