Author Topic: Old Belfast Workhouse on Lisburn Rd,Belfast  (Read 2561 times)

geordy

Old Belfast Workhouse on Lisburn Rd,Belfast
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »
Can anyone please tell me was there a cemetery attached to the Old Belfast Workhouse and did people who died at the hospital be interred in it.Im trying to find out if a man who died there in 1905 could have been buried there.I believe it was also used as a hospital in 1905 and the City Hospital was later built on part of it thanks you

Tischris

Re: Old Belfast Workhouse on Lisburn Rd,Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
Hi, I don't think there was a graveyard there. If you search the usual graveyard burial grounds, deaths that occurred in Union Workhouses were buried in the Poor Ground of the larger Graveyards ie; Belfast City, Roselawn & Dundonald see here:http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cemeteries/index.asp.
Other Graveyards include

allymac

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
Can anyone please tell me was there a cemetery attached to the Old Belfast Workhouse and did people who died at the hospital be interred in it.Im trying to find out if a man who died there in 1905 could have been buried there.I believe it was also used as a hospital in 1905 and the City Hospital was later built on part of it thanks you
As far as I know there was a graveyard in the grounds.When the new hospital was being built in the 70's there were bodies uncovered which were taken away and reburied elsewhere.There was a thread about this subject on before and if you search back it might help you.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

allymac

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
Just found the thread.It was first posted on June 16 2011 and it's about Abingdon Street.Go to page 26 on this board.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Erincyprus

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »

It's possible that he is buried in Milltown RC Cemetery possibly the Upper Poor Grounds where a lot of people who died in the Workhouse ended up irrespective of Religion.

If you like I will have a look in the burial records for you?  Pm details.

Erin 
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

deirdre

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »
As far as I know there was a graveyard in the grounds.When the new hospital was being built in the 70's there were bodies uncovered which were taken away and reburied elsewhere.There was a thread about this subject on before and if you search back it might help you.
...i have family buried in the poorhouse grave yard lisburn rd...i was told its now under the lisburn rd right where the wee playground is

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:39 PM »
There was definitely a graveyard nearby; there is a remaining part of the graveyard wall nearby, on the opposite side of the Donegall Road to where the Union Workhouse was. It is opposite Pandora Street and there is a statue of a cat on it. You can see it on Google Maps. It was pointed out on a bus tour to us, but did didn't say where the bodies where moved to.

poacher

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 10:46:22 PM »
My Grandmother Mary Campbell died in this poor house and is buried in knockbredda cametry in 1943.
Took me 30 years to find her I now have a photo of her I got from my cousins in Austrailia

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
My Grandmother Mary Campbell died in this poor house and is buried in knockbredda cametry in 1943.
Took me 30 years to find her I now have a photo of her I got from my cousins in Austrailia

How lovely to get the photograph! Apparently the hospital was state of the art at the Union Workhouse. I had found the record of a relative's will in the Will Calendars on the PRONI website. Confused me somewhat as she’d passed away in the Union Workhouse hospital - how could she have left a will with assets? Presumably she was admitted to the hospital as a patient, rather than having been in The Workhouse.