Author Topic: Boy,s Model...  (Read 43147 times)

collywobble

Boy,s Model...
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »
Anyone  attend this glorious institution from 76- 81?

stewie

Re: Boy,s Model...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »
 :) i  was a Ballygo Boy :) but my son attends the Model ;) great School :) he,s done really well at it ;) of to Uni when he Finish,s this year :)

Lost Login

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
I used to go to the Model between 76 and 81.  I'l be back to post something when I'm over the PTSD and flashbacks.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

Sachs

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:11:53 AM »
I attended the Model 1969-74.

Must say I have mixed feelings about my time there.

collywobble

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:10 PM »
The teachers i rem were, Andy McMorran, one of the more decent critters, don,t think i was on the rec end of a caning from him, though he had the pleasure of launching a metre rule at my head, i think it haunts him to this day he missed :) ! Mrs Warnock, french teacher, who,s body, even in 70,s tweed skirt and jumper, made me all of a sudden interested in all things gallic, my pre pubescent dreams coming to an abrupt halt when she married B.B.C,S Gavin Esler, and left the school..to be replaced in the "french huts by the nearest thing to Mr Bean- Mr William Albert Brodie, or WAB. I learnt one thing in his class- as you jump out the huts windows, bend your knees and roll!               Other teachers i rem were Sasquatch, [ mc clenaghan, geog,] Paul Mc Clenaghan, eng, lived round the corner, sometimes gave me lift, drove a citroen 2cv i think? Mr Lunney, anyone for saaacher! Jim Kieth, all i rem is his perm...even now, he,s kevin keegan or doyle from the professionals...don,t even mention Ernie, thats a topic all on it,s own! :o

oilyrag

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
The Boys' Model in the 60s was divided into 4 'Houses'. Harbison , Haslet , Squires and Moore . (spelling might be a bit iffy) You wore a coloured flash above the school badge depicting what House you were in .Red , green , yellow or blue. Once a year there'd be a sports competition for a trophy.
Teachers names :
Little Joe, Cowan ...French
Jonty ,Johnson. .Maths
Cheyene.  .English
King.   .Geography
Lock.   .Metal work
Dobson and Trevorer.Woodwork
Irvine.   .Mech drawing / art
Fitz.   .German
Ernie Davis.  .Deputy head
The Mad screaming skull. .McNeilly ...The boss

There was one science teacher , a real nutter , think his name was Dr Brackey , if you missed behaved he'd get you to write out 100 times  .Peace , Quite , Calm , Serenity , Tranquility ,Equanimity.
We'd turn the gas burners on when the move around bell sounded.

and a cluster of other phyopaths that would have giving you a belt around the head just for being there.

Me mum used to say "school days are the happiest days of your life "   don't think so some how.

so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

tboy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
I remember Ernie Davis, Irvine and major Paloo  just from listening to my prod mates in the early sixties :) BTW all my my mates were in the G stream ;)

collywobble

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
They named a house McNeilly hse, after the head who was there in the 60,s, interesting that Ernie was only a deputy then, was there any hint of the monster inside, biding his time, ready to take the reins of power and unleash his fury on any pupil who dared have the courage to challenge his authority?  In my opinion the saddest day of his life was when corporal punishment was banned, i,m sure his world collapsed :)

Lost Login

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
They named a house McNeilly hse, after the head who was there in the 60,s, interesting that Ernie was only a deputy then, was there any hint of the monster inside, biding his time, ready to take the reins of power and unleash his fury on any pupil who dared have the courage to challenge his authority?  In my opinion the saddest day of his life was when corporal punishment was banned, i,m sure his world collapsed :)

If you look at the Boys Model message boards on Friends Reunited, that should answer your question.

I remember having a new Parka jacket stolen from me.  I went straight into Ernie's office to report the theft and without a word of a lie, there were two other senior members of staff there and what was on Ernie's desk? Three bottles of Bell's Scotch whisky.

What was his response to my report of the theft? "Well, you'll just have to look for it yourself, son!"

Cheers, Ern. Thanks a lot.

Sachs

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:34:50 AM »
During my time at the Model I was given an awful time by Ernie.
The reason was because I wanted to play football for the school and he insisted he wanted me to play rugby.

Now as an older man I wonder what kind of buzz he got from bullying a 12 year old.

I'm sure if my father had  any inkling of what was going on my problem would have been sorted out quickly in the
 Lounge of Crangles.

Sounds bitter? But there you go. 

Lost Login

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
I was in first year for no more than a few weeks when there were problems with the special bus service from the Ballygomartin up through Twaddell Avenue.  It failed to stop to pick us up so we had to get a later bus.

Of course, this would make us late for school and the latecomers were lined up outside room 3 and questioned by Ivan Black. "Why are you late?!"  The bus didn't stop, Sir!"  "NONSENSE, LIAR, RUBBISH. GET UP EARLIER IN THE MORNING!" He shouted as went down the line and caned us all.  Inside of a week, we'd had enough and we decided to go home and tell our folks what was going on. One boy, Mark Younger, threatened to get the police to them. 

The Boys Model found itself on the wrong end of a parental rebellion. "If my son says the bus didn't stop, that's the truth. Cane him again and you are up in court.

It worked. That never happened again.

Then there was this Maths teacher called Mr. Shufflebottom. He thought it would be a good idea if I was to walk to school every morning.  I said, "No, I will not."

"And...why...not?" He asked.

"I'm not walking past Ardoyne."

That shut him up big time.

dougie boy

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
Hi toadstool yes Alex the ballex ,Jotters pencils and arithmetic books  boys,he would spray
If this is old age I hope I die young

Lost Login

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
I'm not criticising anyone who has posted their bad memories here, but since 1981, I always thought it was just me and no-one else who hs been traumatised by attending that pathetic excuse for a school. With the internet, along came Friends Reunited, Ratemyteachers.com and now this.  It's really gratifying to feel that I'm not alone.

I regularly watched the demolition of the old school in July & August 2010 and I wished I could've had a job as one of the 'dozer drivers.  I would've had one hell of a sadistic pleasure reducing that school to rubble. Everytime I went past that school, I did nothing but curse it - and still do.

No son of mine will ever attend that school. That's a promise!

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
Does anybody remember Willy Trimble who was there in the late 50s/early 60s? Good friend of mine who overcame the odds  and went on to become head of the NI tourist Board in Scotland, Marketing Manager for Bushmills Whiskey  and then founded his own advertising agency
Bord na Móna

toadstool999

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
What's the Model like today? I'm sure they don't still use the cane, do they?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity