Author Topic: Boy,s Model...  (Read 50190 times)

quembre

Re: Boy,s Model...
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
Hi there. I'm 57 and attended the Boys Model from around 73-74 till 79-80. Not exactly sure of the years and I'd need to sit down with a pen and paper to work it out. I remember a few teachers who's names I haven't seen mentioned.

Tom McNally - art teacher,
Colin Grainger - art teacher
Victor Hughes - physics teacher
Sammy Sinclair - maths teacher
Clive Kinghan (not sure if this is spelt correctly - French teacher

I liked all these teachers with the possible exception of Mr Sinclair who caned me on many occasions however I passed my O level maths. Only maths exam I've ever passed so maybe he "motivated" me. Haha.

Tom McNally and Colin Grainger were particularly good teachers I felt and I've only good memories of them. I heard about 10 years ago that Mr McNally had died. Not sure when.

Mr Kinghan was a very nervous man who was mercilessly tormented in class and I'm sure he dreaded his time in the two language classrooms behind the old main building.

unrecog

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »
I will never forget my time at that place. Ernie never bothered me for some reason - I do not think he and I ever exchanged a cross word, but Andy McMoran? He should have been jailed, in my opinion.

Billy Sharpe (Physics) was the best teacher in the school.

Mrs Fowler - always seemed to be perpetually annoyed that she was not born English

Mr Cameron (Maths) give Billy Sharpe a close run for best teacher

The rest were mediocrities. I never did find out if Jason had a purpose in life other than just mooching about smoking cigars that smelled like Francey's breath.

Lost Login

« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
I will never forget my time at that place. Ernie never bothered me for some reason - I do not think he and I ever exchanged a cross word, but Andy McMoran? He should have been jailed, in my opinion.

Mrs Fowler - always seemed to be perpetually annoyed that she was not born English

The rest were mediocrities. I never did find out if Jason had a purpose in life other than just mooching about smoking cigars that smelled like Francey's breath.

Welcome to the forum. I think I found out what Jason McCord's purpose in life was - if you flick back to post 35, hopefully that should answer a few questions.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

unrecog

« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I think I found out what Jason McCord's purpose in life was - if you flick back to post 35, hopefully that should answer a few questions.

I did read some of the posts. I never had Jason for Art and I could not tell you who I did have teaching me Art. I hated it, probably because I was no good at it. It was like RE, utterly pointless.

Your posts - especially the big long one - made me laugh. Given the subject, I probably should have shed tears. [Edit: on second thoughts, I shed enough tears whilst I was there]

Jc65

« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
I attended the Boys Model from 1977-1982 and can honestly say I hated every minute of it.

Reading through the posts reminded me of some of the things that happened, I thought I was the only one who hated it so much, now I see I’m not alone ! I was in the “B” class from 1st to 5th year and by 3rd year I hated going so much I “beaked off” more times than I can remember. I eventually walked out of school halfway through 5th year missing out on doing “O” levels after numerous run ins with the deputy head, Mr Fowler I think ? About my school work and attitude,  and after he had caned me once again at the age of 16 I realised that I could legally leave school, which I did that afternoon and never returned. I had wanted to drop out of doing two o levels that I was rubbish at and would never had got a pass grade, and concentrate on what subjects I was good at so as to get a good grade. His answer was, and I still remember his words to this day “you do them all, or you do none”. My answer to him did not please him to say the least, as he reached for his cane to give me my last ever caning at that school. I was stubborn at that age, still am to a degree, and after asking him for help and career guidance got that answer, I walked out that afternoon.

I agree with many who say that kids got beaten quite often, as did I , nothing more than the average back in the day at the Model, but looking back a lot of it was unnecessary and put many off education for life.

I had some great teachers, Mr McKendry (Milky Bar Kid) two maths teachers that I can’t remember their names, one was Scottish, small guy with a beard who used to ask you a question, if you got it wrong would say “guff laddie” in a real broad Scottish accent, other maths teacher was a young English guy, probably mid twenties then, who was brilliant and was very disappointed when I went to him on my last day to tell him I wasn’t coming back and handed him back my books, I think he knew the reasons and understood even though he knew I would have got an A  in maths.

Then there were the bad teachers, RE teacher Miss Vaughan, hated by many, including me, caned boys without mercy for very little, came out of her class once with bleeding fingers after forgetting my homework once. Ernie did scare the hell out of me, flew into a rage like the flick of a switch, and some teachers who could only teach with the use of fear and bullying.

I hear now, however, that it is a different school since my days, which I was pleased to hear.

Lost Login

« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »

Then there were the bad teachers, RE teacher Miss Vaughan, hated by many, including me, caned boys without mercy for very little, came out of her class once with bleeding fingers after forgetting my homework once. Ernie did scare the hell out of me, flew into a rage like the flick of a switch, and some teachers who could only teach with the use of fear and bullying.

Welcome to the forum. I'm another victim of Miss Vaughan. What I previously said -  "Miss Vaughan (Mrs. Ellingsen) - R.E.  Once denounced my class as "A bunch of stupid thickos" . After two years she said she wouldn't take us through the R.E. exam".  She mustn't have thought we were good enough.  Learning's a lifelong process. Somewhat like you, the bad experiences I had in that dump put me off education. But in my early thirties, I found my way into adult further education and for twelve years after, you couldn't have beaten me out of it. I gained more out of further education in one year that I ever did in five years at that so-called "school".

unrecog

« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm another victim of Miss Vaughan. What I previously said -  "Miss Vaughan (Mrs. Ellingsen) - R.E.  Once denounced my class as "A bunch of stupid thickos" . After two years she said she wouldn't take us through the R.E. exam".  She mustn't have thought we were good enough.  Learning's a lifelong process. Somewhat like you, the bad experiences I had in that dump put me off education. But in my early thirties, I found my way into adult further education and for twelve years after, you couldn't have beaten me out of it. I gained more out of further education in one year that I ever did in five years at that so-called "school".

Miss Vaughan? I left in '81 and I have no recollection of her at all. Having said that I did not have much use for R.E. back in those days (start of a lifelong trend for me)

What did she look like?

Jc65

« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
Miss Vaughan? I left in '81 and I have no recollection of her at all. Having said that I did not have much use for R.E. back in those days (start of a lifelong trend for me)

What did she look like?

She “taught” RE in room 1, the classroom on the ground floor just as you came in from the playground, the toilets and cloakrooms were to the right and stairs straight ahead, strange how you remember these things. She was a thin ugly woman with long fingers, I was slapped across the face by them a few times, had a cut on my face from her long nails once. Used to be referred to as “the witch” and a voice that would cut steel !

Lost Login

« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
She “taught” RE in room 1, the classroom on the ground floor just as you came in from the playground, the toilets and cloakrooms were to the right and stairs straight ahead, strange how you remember these things. She was a thin ugly woman with long fingers, I was slapped across the face by them a few times, had a cut on my face from her long nails once. Used to be referred to as “the witch” and a voice that would cut steel !

I remember that place. It was originally part of one of the cloakrooms. I remember her. I also remember going on the beak from one of her Monday afternoon RE classes in November 1978. If she'd beaten or slapped me in such a way that it drew blood, she'd have found herself on the wrong end of some parental enmity.

Jc65

« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »
Another member mentioned Andy McMoran, most of us avoided that guy having witnessed what he could do to you.
If you were a rugby player you were safe, could do or say anything, if not, keep well clear.

Strange after reading through this post the things about that place that you had forgotten about.

Anyone remember round the side of the main building overlooking the glen, where all the smokers were? Looking back on it, the number of times they were caught there would make you think they would have found somewhere better to hide 😂

Lost Login

« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
An actual review found on Google Maps.

Matt Van
1 review

a year ago
The school building on the outside looks good, but the inside is an absolute pigsty. Mess is everywhere, the staff are too bloody lazy to get at the pupils, who are mostly little brats with no respect. And some of the teachers just care about the money and nothing else, putting the pupils future at risk. Of course, there are some really good teaching staff, who actually care. But don't fall for their lies, saying its one of the best schools in Belfast. Whatever you do, do not send your son to this sad excuse for a school, find somewhere good.

unrecog

« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »

Hmm... I just cannot picture her. Oh well, no loss probably  :)

I do remember doing "Music" in one of those little rooms under the Central Hall (The one on the right as you go in to the rooms). The teacher taught us to mangle "Ode to joy" on recorders. That was as far as I got

unrecog

« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Another member mentioned Andy McMoran, most of us avoided that guy having witnessed what he could do to you.
If you were a rugby player you were safe, could do or say anything, if not, keep well clear.

Strange after reading through this post the things about that place that you had forgotten about.

Anyone remember round the side of the main building overlooking the glen, where all the smokers were? Looking back on it, the number of times they were caught there would make you think they would have found somewhere better to hide 😂

McMoran turned up when I was in 2nd year and taught us Geography right through to 5th year. He and I struck up an instant relationship based on mutual loathing. Frankly, I am amazed he is still in teaching rather than in prison. There is a clip of him on Youtube getting a doctorate - 30 seconds of McMoran-speak.

Mr Ward (Maths) was another g*t. He walloped me in my first ever Maths lesson in the BM over in Hut 7 which became the 6th form centre eventually. An introduction to Set Theory and physical assault on day one.

James James

« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2020, 12:46:39 AM »
I will never forget my time at that place. Ernie never bothered me for some reason - I do not think he and I ever exchanged a cross word, but Andy McMoran ?       He should have been jailed, in my opinion.

Maybe the same,... "guy" ...??? ?! ,... perhaps a tad scary for old acquaintances !, ... contains a picture. !

"Feb 18, 2015"

https://uup.org/news/3384/Ulster-Unionist-Party-nominates-Andy-McMorran-to-the-Education-Authority#.XgvqCbr7S00