Author Topic: Ballyvester Caravan pk  (Read 4133 times)

collywobble

Ballyvester Caravan pk
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
Anyone rem the caravan site?                                                                                     

speedwobble

Re: Ballyvester Caravan pk
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
We were in Ballyferris, it was class.

Giannineo

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
yip. was it up the hill near a cemetery?  My Aunt had her caravan at the "Vester"-at first it was all alone in a field near the beach, across the road from the road which went up to the caravan site---there was a wee steam running along the back of the site. frogs and sticklebacks..great fun making a dam  ::)    a bloke went to empty his portaloo into the septic tank and fell in...he was there for some time until the next jobby wheeker came along to empty his potty and rescued him  :o

harrydunn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
wifes Aunt had a caravan there Wife and I stayed in a few times there was a wee shop just across the main  road from the site used to get our
food in there.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:33 AM »
Was that the caravan park on the  left hand side as you drove from  Millisle towards  Ballywalter.?

harrydunn

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
I f memory serves me right it was just on the outskirts of Donaghadee on the road to Millisle off the main road on right hand side.

Giannineo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »
Was that the caravan park on the  left hand side as you drove from  Millisle towards  Ballywalter.?
I think that was Ballyferris ::)

harrydunn

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
 "G" Ballyferris is way out thru Ballywalter on what was once an old wartime airfield owned by Turkington's who also owned Sandycove both are still in operation but are no longer owned by the Turkington family.

Rosielee

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »
Ballyferris is past Millisle and before Ballywalter, we had a static van for years in the 70's and have brought our tourer there for holidays. :)

Giannineo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:05:28 AM »
"G" Ballyferris is way out thru Ballywalter on what was once an old wartime airfield owned by Turkington's who also owned Sandycove both are still in operation but are no longer owned by the Turkington family.
I remember the Turkingtons....my aunt's caravan was mainly in Ballyvester, but it was at BallyFerris and Ballywhiskin for a few seasons. The Ballyvester Stores , owned by the Martins was opposite Waugh's farm. it is now a house...the Martin daughter was a stunner :-\
we had many holidays in this wee cottage which was just across the lane from the Ballyvester stores

harrydunn

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:09:15 PM »
I know Tom Turkington well as my Brother Jim managed Sandycove for many years my nephew ran the shop and later was Salesman for Tom, A real Gentleman.

db

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »
we did.nt have a caravan but we did rent a country house in Ballyvester in between Donaghadee and Millisle we use to walk through the commons as we called them  to go to the carnaval in Donaghadee
on the weekend, we always got away for a month every year my Dad seen to that   db

moondog2

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
YIS WERE  RICH  :-*

collywobble

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
The park was up a lane just past stellenbosche ave, on right hand side as you head to Millise. There was a cemetery at the opening to the lane, there were two fields, one was called the farmers, we were on the other one, opposite the toilet/ shower block. It was pretty basic, no running water, no electric, slop buckets, gas mantles, a shilling for the geyser in the shower block, but as a 10 yr old it was magic, seemed like a million miles from Belfast, we were there from 76 - 80, friends from the site i rem were, the Reids, Alan McBride, "LINTO" Lorna Dunn, wee Johnny, Heather McClelland, there were a few girls lived near the site, used to come round, kathryn, lived stellenbosche, Jane MOffat, and Maxine,.we used to dander thru the commons there were sheltered benches there we would hang around, then head to the blue lamp disco at the wee paddling pool D,dee.. :) 

db

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
YIS WERE  RICH  :-*
yes rich in love