Author Topic: Ballyvester Caravan pk  (Read 4134 times)

SpencerBelfast

Re: Ballyvester Caravan pk
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Hi everybody ballyvester  caravan park was on the right hand side just before the ballyvester stores.  Drove up towards the cemetery two caravan sites one on the left and one on the right, both owned by orchard caravan site.  The field on the left had the park and the shop.  The shop owners were from deerpark off oldpark road.  Ours was the site on the right.  I was there from a small child right up until the site closed.  Can remember names of the families on the site.  Knowles, davidsons, bells, Stubbs, Andy and Sadie Reid. 

Clankshaft

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
I remember the Turkingtons....my aunt's caravan was mainly in Ballyvester, but it was at BallyFerris and Ballywhiskin for a few seasons. The Ballyvester Stores , owned by the Martins was opposite Waugh's farm. it is now a house...the Martin daughter was a stunner :-\
we had many holidays in this wee cottage which was just across the lane from the Ballyvester stores

Do you remember her name by any chance?
Thanks

colm54

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »

Hello, I know that this post is quite old now and I came across it when researching the Ballyvester stores.
My in laws Charlie and Shiela Walsh used to talk all the time about the Ballyvester stores. He grew up around there and he and his brother John used to collect dulse and sell it to go to the pictures and buy ice cream at the Cabin.
  Can you possibly tell me the name of the Martin's daughter? Charlie couldnít remember it at the time. We think it began with a Z. We live in Canada now but we were back there to try and piece family history together.
Thanks for all your help.
Colm

I remember the Turkingtons....my aunt's caravan was mainly in Ballyvester, but it was at BallyFerris and Ballywhiskin for a few seasons. The Ballyvester Stores , owned by the Martins was opposite Waugh's farm. it is now a house...the Martin daughter was a stunner :-\
we had many holidays in this wee cottage which was just across the lane from the Ballyvester stores

Aaron_2015

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
I lived in Stellenbosch avenue back in the 1980's.  We used to walk to a shop nearby called the Stores at the entrance to the Ballyvester road.  I walk passed it quite often.  It is now a private house and has been redesigned.  The two buildings next door were demolished last year.  Anyone have any memories of these buildings?

Next door buildings - Before and after

Blueflulew

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 10:59:04 PM »

Many a time I was in the Ballyvester stores, My Granda had a bungalow up the Craigboy road. We used to spend the summer holidays there. The bugalow was the usual wooden construction clapboard arrangement.  I was right at the top of the road/lane on a right hand bend the bungalow was called Windy Corner , there was farm just up the way owned by the Kennedy's and one down the way was owned by the Boyles. I used  to be allowed ride on the tractor with the farmer , he was the son . His name was Walker/Walky Boyle. He was drowned down a well at the bottom of the road. It was just on the other side of the main Millisle /Donagdee road. You know were the big granite stone is way out in the field(put there by the owners of the Headline Shipping company) Anyway they reckon he got got knocked down the well by a cow, others say he commited suicide.
Anyway me and my cousins were never away from the beach and always we went and got an ice cream from the Ballyvester stores, seem to remember it was Dobsons ice cream??? I am going back a few years now mind at least 60 years.
Funny as we always seemed to geta summer when we were kids.

Ambiexxx

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 12:22:06 AM »
my granny and grandad were caretakers here in the sixties

Billy Fish

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 08:14:28 PM »
Many a time I was in the Ballyvester stores, My Granda had a bungalow up the Craigboy road. We used to spend the summer holidays there. The bugalow was the usual wooden construction clapboard arrangement.  I was right at the top of the road/lane on a right hand bend the bungalow was called Windy Corner , there was farm just up the way owned by the Kennedy's and one down the way was owned by the Boyles. I used  to be allowed ride on the tractor with the farmer , he was the son . His name was Walker/Walky Boyle. He was drowned down a well at the bottom of the road. It was just on the other side of the main Millisle /Donagdee road. You know were the big granite stone is way out in the field(put there by the owners of the Headline Shipping company) Anyway they reckon he got got knocked down the well by a cow, others say he commited suicide.
Anyway me and my cousins were never away from the beach and always we went and got an ice cream from the Ballyvester stores, seem to remember it was Dobsons ice cream??? I am going back a few years now mind at least 60 years.
Funny as we always seemed to geta summer when we were kids.

The large granite monolith was built as a memorial to a member of the Heyn family, owners of the Ulster Steamship Company, commonly known in shipping circles as the 'Head Line'. They had a large house quite close by.  :)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Standing_stone_near_Millisle_-_geograph.org.uk_-_662747.jpg
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Bread Basket

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 09:03:53 AM »
The large granite monolith was built as a memorial to a member of the Heyn family, owners of the Ulster Steamship Company, commonly known in shipping circles as the 'Head Line'. They had a large house quite close by.  :)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Standing_stone_near_Millisle_-_geograph.org.uk_-_662747.jpg

One of the Dock Warehouses owned by  Heyn. .mid 60ís
Unfortunately a bit out of focus.