Author Topic: Glenfield Place and Lonsdale Street  (Read 2228 times)

carol69

Glenfield Place and Lonsdale Street
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
Hello

Does anyone know where Glenfield Place and Lonsdale Street were situated in 1870s Belfast?  I'm trying to locate exactly where in Belfast my ancestor lived at that time.

Thank you
Carol

CMcG

Re: Glenfield Place and Lonsdale Street
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Hello

Does anyone know where Glenfield Place and Lonsdale Street were situated in 1870s Belfast?  I'm trying to locate exactly where in Belfast my ancestor lived at that time.

Thank you
Carol

The 1877 street directory on the Lennon Wylie website describes Lonsdale Street as "Crumlin Road to Old Lodge Road".

The same street directory shows Glenfield Place being off the Ormeau Road:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/nopqcomplete1877.htm

Interestingly, a Francis Glenfield is listed as a resident, but that's one for another day.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
Hello Carol, here's a useful tool, Lonsdale is off Old Lodge Road & Crumlin Road.  Its 1861 I know, but it hadn't moved before 1870's as far as I know  ;)   Glenfield Place is south off Donefall Pass but, doesn't show on this map.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jeanmccarthy36/1861_map_of_belfast.htm

carol69

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
Hello CMcG and 17124

Many thanks for your replies to my query about Lonsdale and Glenfield street locations, which have helped me trace where they are.  The 1861 map proved useful in also pinpointing the church where the ancestor I am researching, my great grandmother, married in 1876, which was Mary Magdalene Church on Donegall Pass.  The 1861 map shows an Asylum Church on this road and I am presuming this would be the same church in 1876 but with a different name.

Thanks again
Carol

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

Carol69, it's one and the same, have a look at this link:

http://www.iguidez.com/video/guides/belfast/st-mary-magdalene-church/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

carol69

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
Hello CMcG

Thanks for providing the link to the Mary Magdalene Church.  I have read the interesting information about it - it's a lovely church with a beautiful interior and stained glass windows. Hoping to visit it when next in Belfast.  Would you know if the Church is open to the public during the week?

Carol

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

I don't Carol69, but there's an enquiry page in the following link to their website which will enable you to email them...

http://www.st-marymagdalene.org.uk/index.html

carol69

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
Hello CMcG

Thanks for all your helpful replies to my post.  I shall contact the Church before my next visit to Belfast.

Carol

Morn

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
Glenfield Place is part of Ormeau Road, it runs from 121 Ormeau Road as far as University Street. The details are in the Belfast Street Directories on the Lennon Wylie website, look up ‘Ormeau Road’