Author Topic: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?  (Read 12754 times)

IrishWinter

Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
I am hoping to find out information or find out about some irish traveller's from belfast during the 60's.

Some of these travellers were friends with silver mckee. John donohue was a traveller and was a friend of silver mckee, during the 50's.

any more information then please let me know.

Kateme

Re: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
I wish I could help you. My mother (RIP) mentioned Silver McKee many times in the past.  I'll ask around!

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

IrishWinter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
Kate,
hello and thank you for the reply. I don't need information about silver mckee, i was just letting people know that my grandfather who is a traveller knew silver mckee.
i am hoping to find some information about some of the donohue's (travellers) the used to live near the bone and bog meadows during the 60's they also lived in greencastle. these are my uncles and aunts. i know quite abit baout them so far as i am related ro them, but i would like to know more about them, maybe from people who met them or perhaps may have some photo's of travellers in belfast during the 60's and 70's.
cheers

river rats

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51:59 PM »
if you find out let me know my mother bought some lucky heather off one and never had a days luck since looking a refund now think it was sixpence :D
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:51 AM »
if you find out let me know my mother bought some lucky heather off one and never had a days luck since looking a refund now think it was sixpence :D

I take it, that it was before you were born.... ;)
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Boo

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
They used to come every year and stay in fields which is now Springmartin EstatexThey had the real caravans pulled by horsesxI was just a young kid but i still remember them coming every year we used to give them sugar and waterxIt must have been very hard for them in thoe days although they never complainedx

machinehead

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Not directly related to the question but I do remember a traveller family staying at Millars Lane in Dundonald.  I think it was in the 60s.

They had the traditional horse-drawn caravan.  There was just the father and son - I don't remember there being a woman.

Their horse was staked to feed near a steep bank.  it slipped over the bank and hanged itself.  Must have been a disaster for the family.

Their name was Price.  The son would be in his 50s now.  I've often wondered where they are and what they are doing nowadays.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knew or knows them.

doare.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:35 AM »
the 2 biggest camps i remember was in north belfast and one in andytown rd, they were being domesticated then, there was a large family in boomer st called the berries, i remember getting into a fistfight with a large group of traveller women and a fellow worker as we delivered booze to an off license near duncairn gardens, they did not like the way my mate was googling them and they went for him with fists flying lol, so there must have been a camp near hand somewhere.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

river rats

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
the 2 biggest camps i remember was in north belfast and one in andytown rd, they were being domesticated then, there was a large family in boomer st called the berries, i remember getting into a fistfight with a large group of traveller women and a fellow worker as we delivered booze to an off license near duncairn gardens, they did not like the way my mate was googling them and they went for him with fists flying lol, so there must have been a camp near hand somewhere.
what to buy my lucky heather in case it happens again ill take 3d for it ;) [size=78%] [/size]
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

kate.o

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:42 AM »
met some walking home up the springfield road,
in caravan it was horse drawn, the women asked me to cross
her palm with silver and she would read my future, I did for a
laugh, she said  I would rock the cradle, her words, I had four
allready so I didn't know either laugh or cry, I went on and had
 three more, I am happy today I did :-* :-*

tboy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »
They might have had more manners in the early sixties in Belfast with all the 'straight' hardmen around . Nowdays they are just knackers ;)

mrsh

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
hello irishwinter I must say sorry to you for the replies you have received from some of these people on this thread :)hope you get better results and hopefully some photos there is a man on here by the name of boxer who may to be able to help  if you go on every black and white photo tells a story you may get help there good luck with your seach.
Show me the man who does not love the land where he was born

mrsh

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
hello irishwinter I must say sorry to you for the replies you have received from some of these people on this thread :)hope you get better results and hopefully some photos there is a man on here by the name of boxer who may to be able to help  if you go on every black and white photo tells a story you may get help there good luck with your seach.
[/quoute every man is equal.
Show me the man who does not love the land where he was born

ladygreen

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
hi, i happen to know quiet a bit about travellers through my mother, would the John Donohue you be speaking about is John the chimney sweep, i was told he spent a lot of time in Austrailia and came home to belfast with a new gold chain watch... more to the story and more stories if this is the man... :)

db

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »
Hi
 l watch a tv show here in Canada all about the Travelers of England and Ireland its called My Big fat Gypsy wedding are they as extravagant as they come across the dresses are out of this world, and the First Communion Dress are even more so and the kids are made up so ,is this real  or is this just for the  TV show,?  just wondering   db