Author Topic: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?  (Read 12797 times)

ladygreen

Re: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »
yes a lot of it is real, travellers are such a close bonded family that they splash the cash for big days

moondog2

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »
often wonder where they get the cash from, just wondering  ::)

db

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »
MOONDOG.    .    db

doare.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
they like a wee bit of show , where my mother is buried in dungannon there is a travellers child interred close by her grave, it has a huge slab of marble and these marble horses on it it looks great O0 O0
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

johnmc

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
 :hi: hello moondog    the mob i worked for used to service one of the traveller,s trucks, but this bloke used it like a private car  and treated it likewise.When he had it hooked up with his bits and pieces it was like an Aussie road train
           Have to say he paid his bill, cash.And from a roll ,as the saying goes, that would have choked a donkey.
                Where did he get that dosh? Who knows.But no quibbles on the bill
                                             johnmc

kate.o

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »

I take it, that it was before you were born.... ;)
no love it was before you were born

IrishWinter

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

He used to camp around beechmount. He was a wagon builder, he knew Henry Kane and the Murdoch's. He was a carpenter by trade. He was killed in 1953, in Musgrave police station. A man named Billy Platt used to stay in the camp every now and again.

The donohue's were a big traveller family that stayed around Belfast areas during the 50's and 60's.

Redkate

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:24 AM »
I remembered the travelling people who lived at the top of Beechmount - we used to call it 'up the fields'. .  They would stay around mostly in the winter.  I can recall them walking down our street one day en masse, they were going to celebrate a wedding, one of them was getting married.  They would come into our house and my mother would give them shoes us kids  had outgrown.  They had an encampment and some horses or donkeys and they would let us kids feet the animals with stale bread.  It was a hard life especially for the women.

glenb

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
In the sixties the Gypsies had a large encampment on the brickyard (between Ardoyne and the Bone). In general kept to themselves. But I remember when Hooker St and Brookfield st was burned out that the Gypsies arrived with some of the only transportation around to move the people.

If you want photographs you may want to search the Irish News and Belfast Telegraph Archives for Ardoyne August 1969, there's probably photos of the Gypsies and their lorries moving people

philfluter

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
Hi Irishwinter
family i particularly remember from the 60s/70s were the Dundons
they are still a big traveller family
they were mainly scrap dealers
the dad and sons used to sell scrap at the scrap quays on the east side of the queens bridge
i worked in the Canberra bar and they came in to cash their cheques of which we took 5%
the sons were only in their early teens at most but they were making sam emoney as i was making working in bar
dad was a good drinker - guinness and drambuie - who would take a substantial carryout away with him - 4 dozen guinness and a couple of bottles
very hard working people

philfluter

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 12:24:11 AM »
Queen's Quay scrapyard, Belfast

philfluter

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
i shoul dhave attributed that picture to Geograph project collection. See this photograph's page on the Geograph website for the photographer's contact details. The copyright on this image is owned by Albert Bridge

philfluter

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »
Weir and cross-harbour bridges, Belfast (52)

canberra bar being demolished as part of the redevelopment of that area

IrishWinter

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »
Wonderful photos.

Maybe if i submit the following information it may help me in my search.

John Donohue (my grandfather) had many sons who were well known around Belfast during the 60's. Tommy Donohue was his son and was well known around Belfast. He used to live around Ardoyne, The Bully Bars and Greencastle. He used to hang around with his other brothers, Paddy and Mick Donohue.

'The Duke Inn' bar was a place they used to drink in on the Newlodge road. Sean Mccormack owned the place with his mother. They also used to go 'The Top Hat' in Lisburn and other dance halls in the 60's.

Hope this helps.

Regards

doare.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
Weir and cross-harbour bridges, Belfast (52)

canberra bar being demolished as part of the redevelopment of that area
many a pint i had in there when i worked in the timber yards also the aero arms not far away.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..