Author Topic: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?  (Read 12796 times)

apalachie

Re: Anyone remember irish travellers (gypsies) from the 60's?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 08:24:42 AM »
Irishwinter, there was never a bar on the New Lodge called "The Duke Inn". They might have referred to a bar as "The Jook In" but for the life of me I don't know which one they were referring to. As for Doare's comment, there was a big encampment of travellers in the 70's who lived around Frederick St and Gt Georges St.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

parkboy

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
i believe the dukes inn was on the old lodge road

dougie boy

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
Remember a certain Rosie from around the bone area wild spirit
If this is old age I hope I die young

ladygreen

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
@irishwinter: as i explained to you in a private mail, my mother remembers a young couple(?) Rosie and Mick Donohue from belfast

Olipra

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
Hi all,
Just skimmed over this conversation and I now have very fresh insight! Just got to Belfast from Montreal and I want to write a story on the Travellers and some of the issues they face - a real portrayal, not any sensationalistic thing. I've had a hard time getting in touch with anyone from the community. Does anyone here could help me out?? You seem to have ties. Feel free to email me and we could exchange words.

Best,

Olivier

Dommo

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 06:09:14 AM »
Hi all,
Just skimmed over this conversation and I now have very fresh insight! Just got to Belfast from Montreal and I want to write a story on the Travellers and some of the issues they face - a real portrayal, not any sensationalistic thing. I've had a hard time getting in touch with anyone from the community. Does anyone here could help me out?? You seem to have ties. Feel free to email me and we could exchange words.

Best,

Olivier
you could start with Paveepoint.ie it is a travellers' Rights clearing house but they likely have information and resources. I was taught to fear and dislike them in the 60's, but now I appreciate them as a distinct and fascinating irish community. Below is some of the FAQs on their site.

Frequently Asked Questions
May 22nd, 2009
General Q&A

How many Travellers live in Ireland today?
Do Travellers speak a separate language?
Who are the Irish Travellers in the United States?
Where do Travellers come from?
They don’t travel, so how come they’re Travellers?
What kind of occupations do Travellers have today?
Do Travellers face discrimination?
Who are the Travellers?
What does “Pavee” mean?
Culture Q&A[/size]

Why do you want to be recognised as a minority ethnic group?
Why do Travellers not want to integrate?
What services/programmes do Pavee Point offer to the Traveller community?
Why do Travellers go on about their rights and ignore their responsibilities?
What languages are spoken by the Roma?
What does “Pavee” mean?
How many Travellers live in Ireland today?
Do Travellers speak a separate language?
Who are the Irish Travellers in the United States?
Where do Travellers come from?
Roma Q&A

How many Roma are there in Ireland?
Where are Roma in Ireland from and why do they come here?
Why do Roma beg? Aren’t they all on benefits?
Why don’t Roma want to mix with Irish people?
How have Roma been treated in Europe?
How have Roma fared historically?
What are the particular experiences of Roma women?
Who are the Roma?
What languages are spoken by the Roma?
Youth Q&A

Why does Pavee Point have a youth work programme?
Who do you work with?
What support can the Pavee Point Youth Programme give me?
What is of greatest concern to the youth programme in 2012?
Are young Travellers from your groups engaging with mainstream services?
Drugs Q&A

What does the Traveller Peer Support Worker do?
Do Traveller women use drugs?
Are the drug dealers members of the Traveller community?
What are the barriers to Travellers accessing services?
What drugs are most commonly used by Travellers?
Are there any barriers for Travellers when trying to access drug services?
Are young Traveller men most at risk of drug use?

if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Brown low

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 08:11:58 AM »
@irishwinter: as i explained to you in a private mail, my mother remembers a young couple(?) Rosie and Mick Donohue from belfast

Rosie and Mick also lived in Greencastle.  Rosie was very noticeable .lol

doare.

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »
Remember a certain Rosie from around the bone area wild spirit
was it rosie they called her, she was very well developed? lol, she would stride royally in front with her younger sister trailing behind her, I always thought she was called betty... :)
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
Origins.  It is difficult to identify the exact origins of Irish Travellers. Some claim they are the descendants of the dispossessed from the war with Cromwell in the seventeenthcentury or the ‘Great Famine’ in Ireland in the mid nineteenth century. However thereare some who contest such claims and propose much earlier origins. O’Riain claims there is evidence which points to the existence of nomadic groups in Ireland as earlyas the fifth century AD and by the twelth century the name Tynkler or Tynker is saidto have been given to a group of nomads who had maintained a separate identity,social organisation and dialect (O’Riain, Solidarity with Travellers, 2000, 8) .Robbie McVeigh has stated Irish Travellers have their roots in a Celtic (and possibly pre Celtic) nomadicpopulation in Ireland. They are very definitely not Roma (or Gypsies), neither areTravellers the product of ‘An Gorta Mor’ (the Great Hunger) of 1843 - 50. While theoriginal Irish nomadic population may have been supplemented at various times inIrish history by dispossessed labourers and other marginalised people, there was clearly a distinct Traveller population before the famine” (McVeigh, Third World on Our Doorstep, 1997)...http://www.irishtraveller.org.uk/images/history-culture.pdf
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

blackkettel

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
I remember the travellers from the Bone one who was called Francie who used to hang around Gracehill corner with us and play Handball at Mayfair street. I also remember a young traveller boy being taken to hospital when he blew up a tyre which exploded  at Andys garage at the top of Arydone avenue and Oldpark road also Rosie who you could write a book about a perfume queen. I remember once when they moved out that they left behind an old fashioned caravan which us kids used as a little gang/club house but the travellers returned and burnt it down. I was told then at it was tradition at the travellers never leave caravans behind when they leave.

glenb

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
Blackkettel, I remember the Gypsies on the Brickyard (Bone/Ardoyne) well. At one time in the 60's their caravans where dotted over the brickyard. Yes they burnt some, but others where burnt not by them. Went to school with a few of them, but they never lasted long. When people were being burnt out of Ardoyne they where the only ones that had significant motorized transport, so I'll never forget them helping people get their belongings. I've lots of stories about the Gypsies from that time.

doare.

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
anyone remember this song, was popular in the 60's. .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wWm9W47gV4

doare.

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »

doare.

yakkiebush

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
many a pint i had in there when i worked in the timber yards also the aero arms not far away.
Just spotted this thread yes indeed many a drink had in that bar myself,it was always yard men and coal men back in the day ,lovely meat pies,and the bookies next door didn't help out going home on friday night with night racing on.
Many a night went home broke after just been paid that day. >:D
Good thing for loan sharks thou,Continuous cycle it was.

Does any one remember the name of the bookies ,it might have been east woods not sure Joe McKees was just up the block a bit who always had better football coupons.

Yes the Aero arms was under the old bakers club ,Can you remember the name of the bar down the street from the Canberra and the bookies next door ,Mostly coal men drunk in there it had a pool table..