Author Topic: thorndale house belfast  (Read 11656 times)

Lilyrose

Re: thorndale house belfast
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »

If you contact them I'm sure they will be able to give you all information you require from there records.Good luck!

http://www2.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/www_uki.nsf/vw-sublinks/F2187901E93AAF2D80256F94003AFE17?openDocument
DILLIGAF!

Zan de Man

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
That's good advice.  My grandmother was ex Salvation Army and she had a friend who worked in Thorndale.  Her name was Tilly Monteith, but I doubt if she's still in this earthly realm.

Annebev

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
My brothers and myself were here in the early 70s with the Kerr family and the ellisons. Would like to hear from Jacqueline Kerr or Karl, mark, or Terence anyone know anything?

Sarah Christine

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
My family belonged to York Roas Salvation Arm up until early 60s. Thornadale Was run by the Salvation Army .The Officers and some of the 'girls' would come to our coro services. Yearly they held a garden party cake stalls, bric a brac ,gold fish etc it was well  supported by our corp and some of the local community's funds were for the Home residents.Clothes for the babies and the girls, toys were always needed . I did tour the home the girls rooms , were the cots were and nursery.The laundry was big .I was glad Thorndale House existed somewhere for the girls who were pregnant to go to be safe . My mum and Dad having had us three girls and our brother were saddened by local opinions and lack of support for Thorndale. I hope your mum felt she had good treatment.
Some of the girls families had thrown them out ,they stayed in Thorndale until they had their babies .After the  birth  they were supported by the Army and eventually moved out .A girl my sister was close to had a lovely bed sit? Near Queens University she had a baby girl . We visited often as she had no family support.
If you need to know more details contact the Army Officers of York Road or Thorndale direct. The Salvation Army call this section the Social Section .Those Salvation Army officers in Corps are referred to in the 'Field'. Salvation Army Head quarters  is listed and I would hope the Commanding Officer / General would speak with you .
God Bless

peacewalker

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
I was born on Thorndale House on the 31st July. I believe I am a twin but I have lost her. Winifred Simpson was my mother

McGurggle

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
Thorndale also had a private wing for paying patients. I was born there in 1948. My mum & dad had been married for 4 years and my sister was 2 at the time. Whenever the conversation pops up about where you were born, I avoid saying Thorndale as it avoids a lot of snide remarks about my late mother. You'd think people would be more tolerant to the subject these days as there are so many in the same boat ! There shouldn't be any stigma attached to unmarried motherhood today, but it still exists, mores the pity.

Gaye

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
I was born at Thorndale house in Belfast . Thank goodness for the S.A. My brother was also born there. I was born in 1040's and mother was married, not all were unwed.

McNamee

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gaye,   boy you are a brave age.... ;) ;)

Moondog40

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »
At least  she tells hers  :D

cyprus girl

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 06:30:23 AM »
I was born at Thorndale house in Belfast . Thank goodness for the S.A. My brother was also born there. I was born in 1040's and mother was married, not all were unwed.
Welcome to the forum Gaye,   boy you are a brave age.... ;) ;)
At least  she tells hers  :D
She certainly is McNamee, and Moondog just ask and you will be given.  and you know the rest :-*
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

JM BOY

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:06 PM »
My sister was a chronic alcoholic as a result of her marriage turning violent after two weeks. She ended up in a housing residence for recovering alcoholics and the like  in Cliftonpark Avenue, because she had been ostracised by her husband and six children. Six years ago, at the age of 64, she was raped in her flat by two guys from a druggy party in another flat. (To be precise, one raped her while the other "pleasured" himself watching). As her next of kin I had her live with my wife and myself, because I didn't want her to go back to that flat. In order to find somewhere else, she had to declare herself homeless and as a result, she was placed in Thorndale House. I personally felt that the lady in charge was one of these sanctimonious phoneys, because when I told her what my sister had been through, (the rape, the violent marriage,  and the suicide of one of her children) the lady exclaimed "My goodness! I think that I might well turn to drink myself, if any of that had happened to me". My sister did her best to stick to the rules, but with flashbacks of the attack and initially no sign of anywhere to go, she started to drink heavily and unfortunately started to bring the drink to her room (an absolute no - no). This is when I will never forget the real Christian approach of one of the young volunteer staff there. Most of them were very supportive of my sister and this one approached me and said that she was going to do something that was never done before in the history of the place. She explained that the smell of drink from my sister's room was very noticeable and if any was found in the room, my sister would be evicted immediately. "What I want you to do", she explained, "is to go to your sister's room" (totally against the rules) "and remove any traces of drink from there. I will then go in and do a search - and should find nothing - can you see where I'm coming from?" I most certainly did and I went to the room, where I found quite a few empty drink bottles, which I put into a polythene bag, but couldn't see any where to dump it. Another male volunteer offered to get rid of them for me, which, unfortunately, I agreed to (I'll explain shortly). I received a call the following morning from another supervisor, who explained to me that my sister had technically broken the terms of her tenancy and it was to be terminated. However, he was very empathetic and said that he was not going to serve the terminating order on her for a couple of weeks, by which time she would hopefully have been allocated another home. He also said that he was going to summon my sister to his office and in my presence, "read the riot act" to her with a warning that even if she had drink on her breath in future, she would be put out immediately. I actually thought that this was a more than fair approach. In the middle of this procedure, in marched the male volunteer, with the polythene bag of bottles, plonked it in the middle of the table and pompously announced "and here's the evidence". Anyway, my sister took the talking to "on the chin" and promised to behave. It was Easter weekend and on the Sunday my wife and I took her to lunch. I went to visit, as usual, on the Monday evening, only to find that she was completely distressed and yes - very drunk - because the lady in charge had served her with the eviction notice on her return from Easter lunch with us. I contacted the other supervisor, who had hoped to let her stay and was told that they had been called to a meeting and as is the case on the occasions, he was out voted on the issue of my sister's eviction. I tried constantly for two days to contact the lady in charge, to appeal to her and remind her of her own words when we met, but each time - no matter when - I was told that she was "in prayer" and couldn't be disturbed. Sorry for the epistle, but I am always anxious to let people know of my experience of Thorndale. Like everywhere else - some great, supportive, sincere volunteers and as always, there's the rest of them. 

McNamee

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
How sad JMBoy, some people have terrible lives, and I suppose we do not know the half of it....Very worrying for you, I am sure you worry about her all the time.

How is she doing now...I really hope she is doing well.. :-* :-* She is lucky to have a brother like you..

We never know how we will end up.  Take care.

Nick Keene

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
I'm very glad a few contributors have made reference to the fact that contrary to it being widely accepted and rumoured only to have been for unwed mothers it indeed was not. As I attempt to trace my family tree I discovered my grandmother had a sister who had been a tenant in Thorndale House, I had never knew of her existence nor that of Thorndale.

I proceeded to question my nearly 86 yr old mum who shrivelled at the thought of it being labelled a home for unwed mothers. She can remember being taken to visit her Aunt Charlotte Wright by her mother and remembers what she believed to have been whats called today, "mental health issues". Sadly hers was to be a short life for at 43 yrs old she died in 1950.

Her last place of residence was noted on cemetery records as "Lisburn Hospital Thorndale House, Duncairn Ave, Antrim Rd (workhouse[/font][/size][size=78%] [/size][/u])". I'm sorry to say at present I know nothing else unless someone here can fill any blanks, thanks.[/font][/size]

eros

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
JM BOY ,what a heart rendering series of events for you and your sister my heart goes out to you for telling us your plight ,that was very brave  God bless Eros :(
Lest we Forget

JM BOY

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 01:25:41 AM »
How sad JMBoy, some people have terrible lives, and I suppose we do not know the half of it....Very worrying for you, I am sure you worry about her all the time.

How is she doing now...I really hope she is doing well.. :-* :-* She is lucky to have a brother like you..

We never know how we will end up.  Take care.
[/qu

Thanks McNamee, It was a terrible life for her, especially as she was so good to me. ( I was the baby of the family and in that generation girls, like my sister always had to "take the child" with her when she was going out anywhere). They caught the rapist almost a year later from DNA on another of his escapades. It was a "landmark" sentencing, in that he got life - but as usual - didn't serve much of it and managed to escape from the open prison at one stage, but thanks to the Sunday World, was caught again. I was able to acquire a Fold Housing flat for my sister and they were absolutely brilliant with her. I reconciled her with her second youngest daughter, who had just had a child and she invited my sister to the christening. It was superb motivation for my sister to go off the drink for well over two months leading up to the christening and everyone in the Fold housing site was commenting on the tremendous change in her and how she was so proud of her new grandchild. The night before the christening, she must have taken ill and was rushing either for the Fold red communication cord or the telephone to contact me - and she slipped on the hard flooring, fell backwards and died from a resulting brain haemorrhage. It was a hell of a shock for me as I was just about to leave on the following morning to collect her for the christening, when the police car arrived at my door with the news. It would make a great Danielle Steel novel, wouldn't it?? Anyway, I really believe that my sister's task in this life was to test the tolerance and forgiveness of the so called Christians on this earth and after the hard work that she has done, there's no doubt that she was raised up on eagles wings as the psalm goes.