Author Topic: Mersey street primary school who went?  (Read 8214 times)

bjay

Re: Mersey street primary school who went?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »
Sammy McIlroy went to the school, as did Benny Ross the famous Belfast bicycle street character.        Alice Simms from Meekon Street was awarded an MBE in the last Queen's honours list.
I believe all went on to to Ashfield.

richard mccann

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 05:11:15 AM »
bjay-Another few names you may recognise Derek Dougan,Sammy McMillan,and Roy Bourne all went to Mersey St in the 40s/50s all good Footballers. I remember a lad called Harry Simms he was in my class he lived opposite the school could be related to Alice Simms . Rmc

richard mccann

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 05:15:14 AM »
charlesworth- I always thought Mr Stitt was from Belfast you didnt mention whose class you were in at Mersey St and which years you attended. Rmc

Jeanmcgreevy

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 01:04:37 AM »
Hi
I went to Mersey st primary 1958-1964 , we lived in 46 Mersey st facing the wee Presbyterian church . My brother and sisters went too . Drew, Ellen, Sharon and MARIE McAllister . Does anyone remember us ?

richard mccann

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 04:45:50 AM »
Jeanmcgreevy- I remember a Mc Allister family but they lived at the bottom of Redcliffe Drive they were still there when I left for Australia in 1961.You would have been facing Mc Curdys shop.  All the following names are of people who lived in Mersey St, Carlile,Matthews, Bell,Henderson,Potter,Maxwell,Docherty, Dickey, do you recall any of those names ?I know its along time ago but you never know all the best/ Rmc.

jrjr

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:44:51 PM »
My brother David Huntet was friends with Sammy McIlroy

alex9467

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
That was my first school in1935. I was in Miss Phoenix class and all I remember she was a lovely lady!  Moved on the following year to Memel St School and except for Miss Phoenix I can remember no-one From Mersey St , We lived in 133 Mersey St and were there when all the 'new houses'were being built opposite!
x

richard mccann

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 04:07:10 AM »
alex 9467-- I also remember miss phoenix she was indeed a kind lady .I always remember her giving me chocolate finger biscuits must have been her pet.There were a few sadists in that school no names no pack drill. I attended there from 46/to52 then moved to ashfield for two years before retiring my education at 14 yrs of age to begin work. I  l ived at Harkness Pde which was off Armitage St which was offf MerseySt All those old streets are gone now./ R mc

richard mccann

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
These names are from 64 yrs ago all went to Mersey Street Primary class of 1952 Mr Stitts class anybody recognise any of these surnames Moffatt,Noore, McKensie, Dinely, Lowey,White,Simpson,Watton,Collins,Bennett,Leeman, Mc Connell, Richardson, Crothers,Jeffries. they are all girls.  I know their christian names It would be great to get some response. Rmc

Gary sloane

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
I went to msps in the 80s
With leeman and Elliott

maggiebailey

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Margaret Warden and I went to Mersery Street, here are a few more names you might remember, Sally Wilton, Audrey Atkinson (sadly died very young) Francis and Roy Lowry, Ronnie Bishop, Elizabeth Brown and Madeline Mcree.   I lived in Parkgate Parade until my early teens and my first job was in the shipyard.  Looking forward to hearing from anyone who remembers me.

maggiebailey

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Sorry got one of the names wrong should have been Audrey McGee.

Sonia marshall

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 06:51:04 PM »
I am trying to find Mary mccausland who went to mersy Street, with my mum violet Walsh, roughly from 1950 to 1955. Any information would be great, many thanks

Alan Cathcart

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 06:34:33 AM »
I went to Mersey St for a short time in 1958 and then we moved to Newtownabbey.  My ma lived in Parkgate Cres for years.  Her name was Mary ( Molly Moore ) and then Cathcart after she got married.

tom154

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 04:05:10 AM »
Classmates from 1946/52 Mersey St Primary. Mary Mc Connell,  Serena Simpson , Wilma Moffatt, Esther Lowey, Margaret Moore, Valerie Collins, Brenda Richardson , Jean Watton, Margaret Mc Kensie, Margaret White, Lily Dinley ,Evelyn Jeffries. Freddy Patterson , Brian Bennett, Billy Holland  , John  Whitley, Jim Andrews,  Davy Maxwell , Brian Mc Ilroy  Dennis Quinn, David Carlisle. Hope I havent forgotten  anybody/ cheers Rmc

My Mum Molly Todd (now Elwood) remembers so many of those names and was quite emotional hearing them as i read them out.. she remembers her schooldays at Mersey Street from around 1944-1952 when they moved to the Cregagh.  Her favourite teacher was a Mr Begley. Mum lived with her six brothers and six sisters on Parkgate Parade..