Author Topic: Dargle Street - Campbell Family  (Read 6729 times)

mdexterlilly

Dargle Street - Campbell Family
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
I am researching my mother's family - she was born in Dargle Street in 1922, and her aunt lived in the same house until the 70s.  Does anyone have any photos or memories of this road particularly please?  I would be very grateful.  The family name was Campbell - and my great aunt was Miss Agnes Campbell - thanks

May Donnelly

Re: Dargle Street - Campbell Family
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
  Hello I lived in Dargle St frommid 50tees -1967.I vaguely remember Mrs Campbell she lived further up the road we lived at 5 think she lived beside Mrs Anderson. My Daddy was a keen
photographer and took many photos of us playing ,but the house was burnt down during the 70 tees. I had married and moved out,all his equipment and work was destroyed.If I find any I will post them to you.
                              If it was your Great Aunt she could be cross sometimes especially when we would play skipping outside her house as the lampost made it easier to see during the "dark nights"but then sometimes she would be so kindly buying ballots of us for the school.Dargle St I remember with great fondness,Ruby Murrys sister lived at the bottom of the street with her husband.There were loads of characters and many good friends. Perhaps Belfast Papers archives could give you more info they did a story about my Daddys house. Hope this helps a bit take care

dougie boy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
Hello May I probably mentioned before that I knew your brother Tony great lad lots of fun .rem Ruby Murray's family on the corner . the mc kenna's annalea st and many more who played football up the bone on a sunday.I understand not all of my neighbours   from the area turned out to be good uns. Do you rem old Bobby the paper man with his bike and bad leg used to deliver the Belfast  Telegraph to your street
If this is old age I hope I die young

floral

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
Hello May I probably mentioned before that I knew your brother Tony great lad lots of fun .rem Ruby Murray's family on the corner . the mc kenna's annalea st and many more who played football up the bone on a sunday.I understand not all of my neighbours   from the area turned out to be good uns. Do you rem old Bobby the paper man with his bike and bad leg used to deliver the Belfast  Telegraph to your street

Do you remember a Mrs. Delaney who lived in Dargle Street, she used to work with my late Mum.

May Donnelly

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Hello dougie boy nice to hear from you again .I vaguely remember the guy on the bike.Last time I saw my brother was in the late 80s he lives in Birmingham with wife and 3 kids.Can you recall the name of the shop next door to the bakery at the top of Dargle St and the sons name he used to bring all manner of toys to play with my bro ?
     Yes the McKennas Sean Gerald and Liam last I saw Liam he and Bro were ushers at 1 of my sisters wedding mid 70s.I could not believe Manor St indeed the whole area, how different it looks.No Boys Club and no exit to Cliftonville Rd!!! I do have fond memories of faces but names escape me.There was a shop in the next St to Dargle can you remember and 1 in Summer St if my memory serves right. Till I hear from you take care .

dougie boy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Hello May remember the bakers and the sweet shop along from it but no names ,Alloa st had a wee shop called Boyds,Summer st had Lowrey's corner of Shannon st and Jones bottom end  summer st later owned by John Porter.I was over there a week ago what a mess,nothing left from our time there. remember a June mc Neil and brother Malachy from C

dougie boy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
Posted that before I'd finished , McNeils of Cliftonpark,Mcauleys Manor St.regards

mdexterlilly

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
Thank you, May, for taking the trouble to reply.  If you had photos of Dargle St any time up until the 1970s I would really like to see them.  Do you remember what the local schools were called?  If I knew which school my mum and her brothers attended I could do some more research.  Thanks.

May Donnelly

Re: Dargle Street - Campbell Family #7
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
 Hello think that it would depend what religion your family were.I attended both Convent of Mercy (Crumlin Road) and Sacred Heart (Oldpark Road),both R. C. . Know that 1 of my nieghbours went to the Girls Model think that it was on Cliftonville Road. Perhaps Dougieboy could help he seemed to be more aware then than I was.When I thought more about your Great Aunt she was very kind she always gave me an orange for little things that any of my family did for her like posting a letter. Soz not much help,and will see if there are any photos in the family. Take care

May Donnelly

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
 Hi dougieboy know that your right the area that I knew has gone,have not been back since early 70tees.My son showed me how to use Google Maps and I could not get over the change. At least the Waterworks still in tact! Did June live left of Dargle St the other side of Cliftonpark Ave? McCaulies cant recall but will sleep on it.Thankyou for the memories I used the bottom shop on Summer St Daddy did not allow us near the River Sts lol.Remember the bikers at the Oldpark end of Manor St one guy was called Satch they were all nice but my grassing big sister told my Daddy . We were only talking to them but in those days the victorian attitudes were rife lol .Got another name Terry Trainnor a very clever fellow he was at the same school as the McKennas. Laters

dougie boy

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »
Hi May  yeah Terry Trainner poss bottom of Avonbeg st  part of the sunday football tribe , big satch Foyle st ,so you used Jones shop bottom of summer st ,but stayed clear of the river streets ,don't know what you missed  ha ha . I'm from Avoca st and had friends from bottom to top of Oldpark to  and Ardoyne  oh and a few not so friendly

dougie boy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
june and malachy mc neil  dargle st side cliftonpark between avonbeg and annalea

dougie boy

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:48:18 PM »
anyone remember Jerrys  shop mannor st ,it was the first shop to open all hours seven days a week,what a blessing in the days when all shops closed on sundays and even the parks locked the swings up. It was bottom of Newport st or  Groomesport st

May Donnelly

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »
 Hello again dougieboy gosh but wish I had your memory! I remember Malachy McNeil his sister was more in line with my sis and her friends.As for the shop Groomsport Street well cant remember a man in it just an elderly lady but could have been my bias for all who were over 20.Must thank you for all the headaches that has led to a flood of memories so Cheers. Take care

May Donnelly

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
 Soz forgot to ask for Mdexterlilly what were the Prodestant schools around the area?