Author Topic: Dargle Street - Campbell Family  (Read 6705 times)

dimples45

Re: Dargle Street - Campbell Family
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
hi may ,the local schools were  the lynn memorable primary school , finiston primary,both on oldpark road...cliftonville primary school,on the cliftonville road...these were the closest to dargle street...dimples

May Donnelly

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
 Thankyou Dimples45 it might help Mdexterlilly in her search for info for her family. Thanks again

river rats

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
My Aunt and Uncle Dawson and Meg Preston lived in Dargel street for many years don remember the number
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Ulster1922

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
Hi Dougie. If my memory serves me right, the shop was on the corner of Groomsport St. There was also a grocery store on Manor St., called Cruise. They had a daughter called Deidre. There was also another grocery store called Davies on the corner of Bandon St., and a Tobacco/candy sop called Barnes, then later called Knowles. Knowles had a daughter called Linda. Do you remember any of these shops? .Billy Scott...Manor St until Nov. 1961..
anyone remember Jerrys  shop mannor st ,it was the first shop to open all hours seven days a week,what a blessing in the days when all shops closed on sundays and even the parks locked the swings up. It was bottom of Newport st or  Groomesport st
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

dougie boy

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
Hi again May  Jerry's shop manor st  opened about 1963 I was guessing Groomsport st  it was one st down from dargle st on the opposite side open all houres. Did you know the Boyds Alloa st?
If this is old age I hope I die young

dougie boy

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
Hello Billy yes i remember all the said shops and a few more  and that big wooden gate opposite your house by the bus stop , the Derg st Mission Hall which is still standing , what about Murrays on the oldpark ,top of Mountview st, anyone remember the Vinegar Factory Roe St,otherwise known as Martin Manufactoring Co

jmac

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »
Wasn't there a British Legion club in Roe St at one time?
 down a wee entry?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

dougie boy

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »
Yes Jmac british legion, Roe st entry behind Manor st boys club and adjoining the brickyard  or council yard as they say these days

May Donnelly

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
There you go again blasted headache ! Yes I remember the vinegar factory and the club behind Manor St boys club. The days of entries a straight run from Roe St to Dargle St (short cut home).Cant remember the family from Avoca but can you remember the Rossi family lived Cliftonpark Ave Itallian photographer?

dougie boy

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
the only Italians I can remember from Cliftonpark ave were the Scappaticci family late 1950's,knew a rossi Baltic ave wine shop

Ulster1922

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:41 AM »
Hi Dougie. How are ye doing? Hope all is well with you.
How do you remember all the thing's you do? I have CRS disease....Can't remember [censored]..lol
Do you remember McGrands on the Oldpark Rd? If I remember correctly, they sold newspapers & comics. And wasn't there another shop that sold comics across from the Catholic church on the Oldpark also? (Between the Bally St's.) The bicycle shop & Jeans chippy at the top of Beechpark/ Oldpark Rd. I'm just trying to remember the shops I frequented during my childhood.
Can you still get the Dandy, Beano, Beezer, Topper & Hotspur comics? I still have the ones I brought over when I came to the States.
Take Care. .Billy.  :)

Hello Billy yes i remember all the said shops and a few more  and that big wooden gate opposite your house by the bus stop , the Derg st Mission Hall which is still standing , what about Murrays on the oldpark ,top of Mountview st, anyone remember the Vinegar Factory Roe St,otherwise known as Martin Manufactoring Co

Ulster1922

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
I lived across from that big wooden gate for 17 years & never seen inside it. Often wondered what was in there, but never looked.
It is nice to hear Derg St. mission is still standing. Went there on Friday nights & really enjoyed it. Also went to Sunday School at Ebenezer. Great times. .Billy

May Donnelly

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
Hi I totally agree how does Dougie remember all those people places and facts? Do you think that he has Street Directories and old Newspapers at his side? He has helped my memory very much but with headaches lol. Cant remember the gate on Manor Street ,where was it? Cheers

Hi Dougie. How are ye doing? Hope all is well with you.
How do you remember all the thing's you do? I have CRS disease....Can't remember [censored]..lol
Do you remember McGrands on the Oldpark Rd? If I remember correctly, they sold newspapers & comics. And wasn't there another shop that sold comics across from the Catholic church on the Oldpark also? (Between the Bally St's.) The bicycle shop & Jeans chippy at the top of Beechpark/ Oldpark Rd. I'm just trying to remember the shops I frequented during my childhood.
Can you still get the Dandy, Beano, Beezer, Topper & Hotspur comics? I still have the ones I brought over when I came to the States.
Take Care. .Billy.  :)

Ulster1922

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
Hi May, the gate was between Bandon St & Derg St. Look at Billy Scotts photos & you will see a photo of it.....Billy
Hi I totally agree how does Dougie remember all those people places and facts? Do you think that he has Street Directories and old Newspapers at his side? He has helped my memory very much but with headaches lol. Cant remember the gate on Manor Street ,where was it? Cheers

dougie boy

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
Hi Billy re Derg st mission ,I emailed you a photo of the mission a few months back ,did so because I have no idea how to post photos on here, hope you got it.Behind the gate was just space for the top three houses of Derg and Bandon st to put their bins ,you are right about the shops opposite the chapel with the pawn shop on the corner with it's little side door in ballymeana st meant to afford a bit of privacy to those pledging their goods