Author Topic: Dargle Street - Campbell Family  (Read 6724 times)

dougie boy

Re: Dargle Street - Campbell Family
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »
Hi Billy Beechpark st had three shops plus the cycle shop at the top ,one opposite the Manor bar ,another corner of Conisby st the third just below Connisby st , Jeans chippy became Fusco's and had a great Juke box and one of those primitive game machines where you fired ball bearings around a board  trying to land them down various tubes to win a couple of pennies
If this is old age I hope I die young

dougie boy

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
Hello May ,no street directory or papers ,just shows what a great place it was to grow up in with great people ,can't remember sod all about the place I live in now . You made my wife laugh as it's'' where's this,where's that ,where's my glasses can't remember a thing

dimples45

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
hi ernie, yes it was a great place to grow up in  always something to do and as you say great people..by the way how is that wee grand-daughter of yours doing...dimples

dougie boy

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
Hi Dimples granddaughter Eleanor doing fine as is Olivia ,and by my other boy a grandson Finley . Was over a few weeks ago ,Betty tells me you met in town,great stuff

dimples45

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
yes ernie it was great to see her and she hasnt changed much not a wrinkle unlike me lol.  dimples

dougie boy

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Allways had nice things to say about you Dimples

Tireman

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
Hi Dougie Boy

I found an old posting about the british legion club adjoining the council yard at the rear of Manor street boys club.  That club was built by Manor St Old Boys who got permission from city hall .  They built and decorated the club on their own time and it was only a  quiet retreat ,I don't think there was any alcohol involved but I was too young for that .  Going back to the early 1940 s I can still remember the wardens name an English man named Mr Afleck .     yours    Tireman
was
Yes Jmac british legion, Roe st entry behind Manor st boys club and adjoining the brickyard  or council yard as they say these days

RF6

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »
Anyone here remember the the Dorris family who lived at bottom of Dargle Street. Ellen Dorris was my granny.

CMcG

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »

Anyone here remember the the Dorris family who lived at bottom of Dargle Street. Ellen Dorris was my granny.

I don't know the family but I noticed this touching letter from Ellen (Carrick) Dorris in the Belfast Telegraph of Christmas Eve 1965:

Ellen's husband Charles Dorris:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2058985/dorris,-charles/

Charles' older brother Henry Dorris was killed in the previous war:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1630265/dorris,-henry/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.