Author Topic: Any old photos  (Read 569318 times)

joebhoy

Any old photos
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:19:25 PM »
anybody got some old photo's that they would like to share with the forum? i would be pretty keen in seeing streets of belfast, old and new

Christopher

Re: Any old photos
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:25:37 AM »
I hope websites are accepted too. I have found a few interesting ones. http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/photos/belfast/falls/cupar1.htm I like the photos in this next
site www.pbase.com/billzbeez/belfast and some views of North Street Arcade after it was
damaged by fire a few years ago http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/160072620

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:51:12 AM »
I have a few Ioe
Back to my gang on the Falls.  ( Gang  ie  All innocent stuff )
Amazing that some of them in the photo ended up in different stations of life.  Fron alcho;ics to Jesuits m lLaborers,  Teachers,military, gangsters Professors, etc etc

teap

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »
Heres one you will like Joe its of the Mill in Ardoyne

joebhoy

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »
i am so pleased i asked for photo's, colette that is a wonderful photo thank you, is there more? wonderful links christopher, you can learn a lot just by looking at photographs, not only does it help those people who do not live in belfast to get a feel for it, it also helps brings back some good memories for those living in belfast, more links christopher please

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »
If you Google "Old Belfast" then select "Images", you will have hundreds, if not thousands,  to browse through.   :)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

joebhoy

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 01:13:17 PM »
thanks for that les, viewed lots of photo's but it is not want i am really looking for, i am looking for members of the forum to share their street photo's with me/us on the forum

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 02:08:49 PM »
Aye Joe, I understand what you would like to see. You want photos of kids playing Footie in the street, you want to see the types of houses in which the people lived. I am sure like myself and others you are reading the street names and wondering to yourself "What does that street look like" I have not visited all the wee streets in Belfast. I've a rough idea about the main roads but once loads of wee streets are mentioned I'm lost.

Why stop at streets, Joe, what about the old schools photos too and pics of people on holiday. I'll start with a picture of my sister and myself rowing a boat on the Mooragh Park in Ramsey, IoM. Sorry about my hairstyle. I was mistaken about Babara rowing I was doing the rowing by myself. 

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »
That's the ring road round the city. The road going across from the left to right of the picture is the Castlereagh Road and Ballygowan Road. That buildin top left hand corner is a block of shops. Derek Marsden (pianist and organist) and his wife Irene (nee Sandford) owned one of those shops. Irene was well known in musical circles as a singer. Derek had an afternoon request programme on Downtown Radio on Sunday afternoons. When Derek died in 1998 his daughter Karen took his place on the programme 

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
"The road going across from the left to right of the picture is the Castlereagh Road and Ballygowan Road."

Sorry Chris, but it is not the Castlereagh Road.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 03:51:29 PM »
OK What road is it then Les ???
Is that not the Castledillon estate facing that shop on the corner ???

joebhoy

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
wonderful stuff christopher, great photo of you and your sister, yes i do agree with all types of photo's, the patter is also good between you and les, thanks les for your photo too, is that a more modern one?

EllCee

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
"OK What road is it then Les
Is that not the Castledillon estate facing that shop on the corner"

It is the Knock dual carriageway at Forestside/Sainsbury's/Upper Galwally/Foster Green Hospital and Glencregagh.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 04:45:05 PM »
Sandy and Gillian lived around that area in  the latter part of the sixties didnt they Les.

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »
What is the building at the top left of the picture Les ??? This aerial picture has me confused. If you could say which road is which I might understand. When I go into town next time maybe I should get off the bus for a look. I am surprised the big cemetery can not be seen in that picture. Would it appear in the aerial shot that would appear below this one?