Author Topic: Any old photos  (Read 562374 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: Any old photos
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »
Les

You won't have seen me on my bike too often from the side.  You will have been more used to seeing just my back and the tail light     ...     

That's true, you always cried if I didn't give you a 1/2 mile start. ;D ;D ;D :-* :-*
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

EllCee

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »
If you had ever given me a half mile start, you could never have found your way home.  8)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 07:34:28 PM »
Les

Oh, you are a cad. ??? ::) ;D

cad    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kd)
n.
A man whose behavior is unprincipled or dishonorable

Christopher

Is that grounds for having Les BANNED  :-\ ;D

EllCee

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2006, 08:03:07 PM »
My goodness. Talk about an abject surrender!  You are really clutching at any straws that just happen to be blowing in the wind.

;D   

And the grammar?  Ugh.  :o
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
A big Raspberry to you. 8)

EllCee

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2006, 08:24:04 PM »
Don't need it.  There are lots outside.  There are so many we leave them for the Magpies.

Yahboo  :P

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2006, 09:16:12 PM »
What is happening to these photographs ??? Do you think Val Poole would mind if I posted one of hers?
I suppose Addy would complain if I posted one of them.

Bloomfield I only post messages here. You will have to ask Chris the Admin about "banning" Les.

Les, sorry, Michael does not remember Jackie. He told me there was a Jacqueline who worked in the office but she married and moved to England. Possibly he was not in remembering mode when I phoned as he was watching the football. Was the filling station the city side or the far side of the Shore Road police station? I presume it was the Maxol station although there was an all night Texaco one on the other side of the road. I think there may have been one when you go under the M2 bridge after the police station.  Michael told me a funny story about the petrol tanks at the Maxol Shore Road site. When they built the site there the tanks were concreted into position. The tide was able to move the tanks backwards and forwards.

EllCee

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »
Just ignore Trev's ramblings.  He's slipping into dotage.  It's a shame, really.

The Brown's filling station was on the city side.  It was the Texaco one after the Limestone Rd, heading out of town.

The oil tanks at the BP refinery were built on concrete piles and rafts. Because the surrounding ground had been reclaimed it sank, but the piles, on bed rock, stayed at a fixed height.  As a result, you could see underneath the oil tanks.  I didn't try crawling though.

teap

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »
Here is an old photo of my granda Thomas Doyle holding my Older brother Jim, and beside them is my uncle Peter Doyle at the back of their house in Fort street which was at the bottom of Springfield ave, it must be about 1958 my brother was born in 57 and granda died in december 59 i never got to meet him  :'(
Dont know who owned the horse or its name lol.

colette

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »
That's a lovely picture Colette. Your Uncle Peter looks extremely well dressed. A long jacket, white shirt and waistcoat to pat a horse!

EllCee

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »
Colette, I wanted a suit like that in 1958, but my folks said "no", I couldn't grow the sideburns to go with one!

Great photo.

Not enough of us just took "snaps".  I hope the advent of digital cameras will encourage more snapping.  Though I have read that the professional photographers and historians are concerned that the digital media, hard drives and CDs, will not be preserved as the old photographs were.  That is, there will not be shoe boxes and albums filled with hard copy prints.

teap

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2006, 10:25:35 PM »
lol i think the fellas in the back ground were better dressed i think my uncle peter was about 17 in that pic lemme think.  he was born in 1941 so that would be about right. heres another of my mum and dad in Birmingham must be about 1955-6

EllCee

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 10:30:23 PM »
Your Mum's hair is extremely up to date   ;) 

Some of the TV presenters must have seen this photo    :)

teap

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 10:31:07 PM »
And while im at it here is one of my Aunt mary Doyle aunt Olive Doyle and my mum Gemma Doyle later to become Mary McGrady Olive Oniell and Gemma Mullan

Colette

joebhoy

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2006, 01:35:02 AM »
thank you colette for sharing those photo's with us, they are lovely, the crack on this thread is lovely too!!! more photo's please????