Author Topic: city centre bars no longer there  (Read 20218 times)

paul263

Re: city centre bars no longer there
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
the fountain bar good bar up stair in fountain st well run bar lady behind bar took no lip.cannot think off her name  ??? ???

May Donnelly

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »
IS THE MIDNIGHT LOUNGE IN ANN STSTILL THERE,   JUST PAST WHERE LITTLE WOODS WAS UP STAIR AND ONCE INSIDE YOU WHERE LUCKY SEEING THE BAR, :drinks:

Hi rolohosick I was about to ask the same! I remember the Midnight Lounge took ages to get a drink as the blue light got a lot of getting used to and if you were wearing something dark it showed up all bits of fluff and stuff lol, but great memories.

sonofshanks

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Sj, vinnym, I think you are both correct as Gilbeys rings a bell. Bit too scenty for me. Lol  ::)
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

GandT

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
There was a bar in Pottinger's Entry - other than Morning Star - Hemisphere, I think. There was also a club there - called Black's Club but it may have had another name- late night, very early morning opening. All human life was in that wee entry. Bookies, pools office, 2 pubs, one club and a series of other delights! Ah, Utopia!q

billyh

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
I remember the deers head vaguely, not sure where it was [not the old joke 4 feet from its ass] can anyone remember it.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.

GandT

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
I remember the deers head vaguely, not sure where it was [not the old joke 4 feet from its ass] can anyone remember it.
So do I and, like you, can't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere in Upper / Lower North Street at a guess?

billyh

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
So do I and, like you, can't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere in Upper / Lower North Street at a guess?
Yes i think your on the right track , was only in it once or twice  ???

sonofshanks

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »

Deers Head, corner of Garfield Street and Lower North Street, left hand side going towards Royal Avenue. A few doors up on the left was the White Cross Inn.

boxer1949

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
Deer's head cornor of Lower North St & lower Garfield St still there over a 100 years old

GandT

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
There was one called the red barn or something near donegal st or north street was drunk at the time lol.
SOS - you are a genius with the photos!
I think I remember The Red Barn. Was it in Garfield Street? I remember working night-racing in the bookies and, because the pubs were being forced to close early, heading over to the Royal Avenue Bar just across from it. Later drinking available, you see. If I recall properly that bar may have also been close to being one of the very first of the 'gay bars'. At least it was frequented by a few people [including a few punters from the bookies] who did not seem to mind being overtly effeminate etc. Have mentioned this to a few of my cronies but they seem not to recall [or perhaps don't want to be reminded of] our sojourns there. Me  - good drinking, good company and good memories of the place and no problems with any of the clientele - a contrast with all the hate and crap outside!

billyh

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
Good god, still there, thanks for the replies lads. I would say it was 30 years since i had a drink there  O0

billyh

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

Deers Head, corner of Garfield Street and Lower North Street, left hand side going towards Royal Avenue. A few doors up on the left was the White Cross Inn.
I actually did a wee plumbing and heating job in the white cross in many years ago.

sonofshanks

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
SOS - you are a genius with the photos!
I think I remember The Red Barn. Was it in Garfield Street? I remember working night-racing in the bookies and, because the pubs were being forced to close early, heading over to the Royal Avenue Bar just across from it. Later drinking available, you see. If I recall properly that bar may have also been close to being one of the very first of the 'gay bars'. At least it was frequented by a few people [including a few punters from the bookies] who did not seem to mind being overtly effeminate etc. Have mentioned this to a few of my cronies but they seem not to recall [or perhaps don't want to be reminded of] our sojourns there. Me  - good drinking, good company and good memories of the place and no problems with any of the clientele - a contrast with all the hate and crap outside!
Thanks GandT but the photo was Boxers. lol ;)  The Red Barn was in Rosemary Street across the road from the Royal Ave bar.

river rats

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
I use to work in the talk of the town. :( :(
You used to be talk of the town :D
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

GandT

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
The Red Barn was in Rosemary Street across the road from the Royal Ave bar.
Spot-on. Headed there from McAlevey's in Winetavern Street many's the night!