Author Topic: city centre bars no longer there  (Read 15669 times)

Mills and Boon

Re: city centre bars no longer there
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »
Before the Beaten Docket  the Adelphi Bar. Hamill Hotel was upstairs. Last pint of single was sold there in the late sixties.

manu4life

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »
Hooters bar or also called outer limits.  Ann street. Now that was a bar with a great view. Anyone who ever drank in there will know what I mean ;-)

syriana

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
Does any one know what the beaten docket was call before it was the beaten docket?

Hamills Hotel in the 1960's.  It was a place to go if you wanted a drink in the wee small hours.  You rang the front door bell and if Paddy the night duty man knew you he would let you in.  Cormac Hamill, the owner was a nice man, his sister had a bar in Newtownards called Roma Hamill's.  It's still trading - I'm not sure who the present owner is.
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

Donovan

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Remember the Deers Head very well used to drink in the upstairs lounge which was much plusher than downstairs it was called The New Cosmo if my memory serves me correct.
In the same area I remember an Off Licence in Lower North Street almost facing the entrance into the Arcade, it had a bar in the back and had loads of Music Hall and Theatre memorabilia on the walls, anyone remember it?
Was the Cosmo namesd after the "The Cosmo Cafe" This was one of the classiest resturants in Belfast.The Cosmo  Cafe was were most of the well known personalities would go to dine and the White Cross Inn was were most of them drank.I suppose their proximinity to the Royal Avenue hotel may have factored into their selection .Of course this was in the 40's and 50's.

staike

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
Is the Garfield bar still going? Other ones gone are the Mermaid the Alhambra and the Bailey bar

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »
Is the Garfield bar still going? Other ones gone are the Mermaid the Alhambra and the Bailey bar

The Mermaid is still going strong staike, I had a two lovely cold pints of Bass in it last week....BLISS!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Highway66

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »

Billy Fish

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »
The Viking bar in Church Lane. Long gone. Great spot upstairs, for live Rock music in the late 1960's.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.