Author Topic: old barbers  (Read 47748 times)

sweenytodd

old barbers
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
Hi all any  old Belfast Barbers on the forum would love to hear some off there old stories  trying to put a little collection together have gathered a few old bits and pieces would like to know if anybody else is intrested

tboy

Re: old barbers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
would Rab Maguire qualify? :)

sweenytodd

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
off Course Rab probaley one off the best known barbers in belfast made the flat top orr Bee Bop as it was known famous also the da {ducks ass ] great barber his son worked with me for short time in Church Lane about 1968/ 70

Wasup

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »

Remember Rab very well. Its where I got my first flat-top or Bee-Bop as we called it. It was the first step to getting a Tony Curtis!  Rab would singe the top using a lighted taper which made the ends of the hair turn over.  If you went back a few weeks later and he found out that you had used brylcream or the like,he would fine you!!!  Great barber though.

sweenytodd

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
anyone rememder  the Waldorf at carlisle circus

shamrock249

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
Used to get my hair cut sometimes in O'Kane’s on the Falls Rd across from the brothers house. More often than not I also had a haircut in 'Ernie’s" [/font]in Clonard Street. I did go to Rab Maguire’s only once to get a Bee Bop though.
 I wish I could do that today but alas, time has taken it's toll,
 there’s not enough left on top to do it.     :) :haha:
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

sweenytodd

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
thi shamrock thought there would have been a lot off people with names off old barbers shops  to talk about as there always were great old stories around then have been talking to sj think you went to barney same time as him are you from new lodge  i lived on the road until !972 did a barber from beachmount cut your hair in Ernies  old friend off mine used to work now lives usa

shamrock249

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
Hi sweenytodd, No I always lived on the Falls Rd, Cape St actually. As regards Ernies in Clonard St it was always Ernie who cut my hair ... with his hand clippers ... now that's going back some ... I only ever remember him there and no-one else.

sweenytodd

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
Shamrock did you go to barney  are you still in belfast i moved south

shamrock249

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »
Hi sweenytodd, Sorry, I don't know this 'Barney'   no longer in Belfast ... moved to Canada in '70. I try to get home once or twice a year. I am considering heading back perhaps next week .. I need to restock my supplies/fixes, Cadburys, Potato bread and so on.

sweenytodd

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Hi Shamrock All the things a man needs to keep body and soul together  hope weather is good for you , but i dont think anybody goes to the Costa Belfast for the sun enjoy your trip

normality

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »
My granda - Robert Sterling [Bob} was one of the old-fashioned barbers - a short back and sides man.  He used a cut throat razor and a big leather strop.  His shop was a haven for all the old cronies of Strandtown - to read back numbers of National Geographic magazine, smoke Woodbines and talk about boxing and the exploits of Glentoran and Dundela football clubs.  He had budgies and canaries suspoended in their cages from the ceiling.  I often wondered how they survived all the cigarette and pipe smoke.  He also did house calls to housebound men in nursing homes carrying his equipment in a little brown leather suitcase.

rathlin

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
Joseph Totten at work.

Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

BBJ

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
I went to school with one of JoeTotten's sons. He (Joe) was a great man for the chat. I always remember one story he told about Joe Raffo. A fellow came in one night, flootered, and ordered hot peas. When he got the peas, he poured them into the horn of an old fashioned gramophone (sp?) in the shop. The enraged Mr Raffo remonstrated along the following lines - "What afor you throw da hot peas down my gramatraphone? You think I soft? Ah ha, like shet I am!"
You met all sorts of people in Rabby Maguire's. One morning we were all entertained by the late Derek Dougan who regaled us with stories of the shennanigans that went on during a club tour by Aston Villa.
However, as Mrs BBJ is a hairdresser I've not needed to go to the barbers since 28th September 1968 (two days before I was best man at my brother's nuptials.)

Kindness is the essence of greatness. (JOSEPH B WIRTHLIN)

sweenytodd

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the great photo Rathlin great to see the inside off old shops the history and the stories any more from anybody would be great where was his shop I now live in dublin and my 2 sons have both became barbers I collect old Junk [My wife says} and i have a basin which looks like one in photo think photo about late fifties thanks bbj for joining You are known as a starve the barber getting it done at home Ha Ha