Author Topic: old barbers  (Read 50594 times)

toon army

Re: old barbers
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Joseph Totten at work.

My uncle Joe RIP photo looks to have been taken mid 60s no 77 Falls rd.He also cut st Patricks home boys hair.he was also a part time photographer, manys a short back and side i had in that shop

cannon

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:19 AM »
Used to get my hair cut sometimes in O'Kane’s on the Falls Rd across from the brothers house. More often than not I also had a haircut in 'Ernie’s" [/font]in Clonard Street. I did go to Rab Maguire’s only once to get a Bee Bop though.
 I wish I could do that today but alas, time has taken it's toll,
 there’s not enough left on top to do it.     :) :haha:
I used to go to Ernie Toal in Clonard St, also went to Joe Totton's and Rab Maguires.       Colm Mc Evoy, who went to St.Finians in the 40/s and 50/s ,opened a shop in Cavendish St. in the early sixties.
                                                                                                                                         cannon

brianmckeever

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:59 AM »
Any one remember Hackett's barbers in Shiels St (a good name for a barber).
I remember he had mirrors the full size of the front and back walls.
You could sit and look at your reflection being repeated again and again to infinity.
I was in there one Grand National day. He lived next door and there was a small hole in the wall between both houses
The radio from next door was placed by the hole to let us hear the race. Convenience!

sweenytodd

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Cannon used to work with Colm Mc Evoy still keep in contact with him he was a good barber i would say better than the famous Rab Maguire

rathlin

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
I was in the same class as Colm for many years.  Always wondered how he got on.  John Blake was our teacher for many years.  I have a photo of our first comunion class and he may be in it. 
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

rathlin

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the great photo Rathlin great to see the inside off old shops the history and the stories any more from anybody would be great where was his shop I now live in dublin and my 2 sons have both became barbers I collect old Junk [My wife says} and i have a basin which looks like one in photo think photo about late fifties thanks bbj for joining You are known as a starve the barber getting it done at home Ha Ha

I would think that the photo was from the 60's as he is using an electric razor.  Saying that, I bought an electric when I was 13 in 1956 for the some of Three Guinnies.  It was an American make made by a firm called Rychine.  Lost it in 1969 with the rest of my home.  I detested going to the barbers as all they done was talk about football and you may as well talk to me about opera.  I started cutting my own hair from about 15 and I have done so ever since.  I now use only number 3 setting as I lost most of my hair in a hair raid.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

BBJ

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
thanks bbj for joining You are known as a starve the barber getting it done at home Ha Ha

I hasten to add, sweeney, that herself being a hairdresser was not my main reason for entering into the nuptial state with her! In any case, it doesn't take her too long nowadays to mow the little that is left of my thatch.
We live in Dublin too - in Knocklyon. We've been here, apart from spending all of 2011 and the first 4 months of this year in England, since 1979. 
Kindness is the essence of greatness. (JOSEPH B WIRTHLIN)

doare.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »

Remember Rab very well. Its where I got my first flat-top or Bee-Bop as we called it. It was the first step to getting a Tony Curtis!  Rab would singe the top using a lighted taper which made the ends of the hair turn over.  If you went back a few weeks later and he found out that you had used brylcream or the like,he would fine you!!!  Great barber though.
rab also would'nt cut yer hair unless it was washed lol do you remember the "tony curtis" cut ? or the one about the guy who asked for a tony curtis and when he awoke from his doze he was bald, he yelped at the barber "thats not a tony curtis? the barber replied is'nt he  the guy who acted in the king and i? :D
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

cannon

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 01:57:02 AM »
Hi Rathlin and sweenytodd, I lived up the street from Colm and went through same years at St Finians and St. Malachys with his older brother,Sean.
                                                  cannon

doare.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
Hi all any  old Belfast Barbers on the forum would love to hear some off there old stories  trying to put a little collection together have gathered a few old bits and pieces would like to know if anybody else is intrested
there was one on the boomer st thread for a short while, his shop was at the corner of durham st and divis st, he is 92 now his da was also a barber in that same spot he was mine until the place was demolished when they built the divis flats, his name was seamus mc grady fluent irish speaker was a very intelligent and interesting guy his da was a good water colorist.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

sweenytodd

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Hi Rathlin Think the old clipper is a Whal which were not in belfast well into the sixties the one before was a forfex which was in common use in 1958 when i started serving my time Cannon Sean is back living in belfast  have told Colm about this site dont know weather he looks in on it or not think he would post if he did BBj i came down a little before you i am here since 1972 where did she work in belfast

BBJ

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »
BBj i came down a little before you i am here since 1972 where did she work in belfast
We met in London (though Mrs BBJ is from Mayo) so her hairdressing career was mostly in the West End. (She once washed Lady Churchill's hair.) Once the babies started arriving, she gave up working outside the home. Nowadays, besides herself, her clipping is restricted to some of the grandchildren and me.

Bugsy

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
I used to get my hair cut in Eddie Donnelly's in Albert Street.  He had a board he put across the arms of the big chair and never asked you what way you wanted it cut - short back and sides for all!

What was the name of the barbers on the corner of Durham St and Divis St? Went to St Marys PS with the son.

sweenytodd

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
Guys did ye all get the add at bottom off our page ( free consultation on Hair transplants think they are trying to tell us something i say bring back the rug lol)

BBJ

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
Guys did ye all get the add at bottom off our page ( free consultation on Hair transplants think they are trying to tell us something i say bring back the rug lol)
I don't have an ad for hair transplants - mine asks if I'm a British expat in Israel wanting to claim my pension.