Author Topic: Iveagh  (Read 6160 times)

pat0000

Iveagh
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
Who do you know from Iveagh,Fallswater,etc. I reember playing in Our Lady's (if Im right they were called Riddles fields) before leisure centre was built.

Joe 90

Re: Iveagh
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
Who do you know from Iveagh,Fallswater,etc. I reember playing in Our Lady's (if Im right they were called Riddles fields) before leisure centre was built.
I was born at 28 Iveagh Street (the house next to the narrow alley) and lived there till 1958. In our house there were Mum and Dad and 12 kids (the 13th was born just after we left in '58). Don't ask how we all fitted in. I used to play with the Gatts and the Larkins, and I was a cousin of the McCluskeys who lived in Fallswater Street (they all went to Australia, eventually).
I was run over by a car on Broadway in 1953, just before the Coronation - I had been playing "car tig" with Gerry McCrudden and Bill Burrows who lived on Broadway.
I spent many hours playing round the "Blackie", and fell into it at regular intervals.
You don't say when you were there, but maybe some of this rings a bell with you. By the way, there is another thread about Iveagh District, that has been going for a couple of years.

pat0000

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
Hi Joe.
I'm Pat.
I lived in Fallswater st 1967/8--1980 . Yes a lot of bells rang. Many times I fell into the Blackie, we use to sneak into Celtic Pk. We would go round the back of Iveagh Crescent, behind Sean Greenes house jump over the river and climb into Celtic Park and watch dogs.
I remember the Semples,Mawhinneys,Shreeys.
Are you still living there.
They were the days.
Gonna have a look into Iveagh District thread.

Noel_Maguire

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »
Hi Joe,

Im one of the Maguires from 24, Noel Maguire is my Father and his brother Daithi still lives there ;)

teasy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Hi joe small world I also lived in that house it was lucky  to us but sad that the present  owners now have sad memory there and I dont intend to go over it
It is there sorrow
I lived there from 72 left it around 15 years later
Noel dont be put off by the name my two kids were born there  Small world getting smaller 

Joe 90

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Joe.
I'm Pat.
I lived in Fallswater st 1967/8--1980 . Yes a lot of bells rang. Many times I fell into the Blackie, we use to sneak into Celtic Pk. We would go round the back of Iveagh Crescent, behind Sean Greenes house jump over the river and climb into Celtic Park and watch dogs.
I remember the Semples,Mawhinneys,Shreeys.
Are you still living there.
They were the days.
Gonna have a look into Iveagh District thread.

Hi Pat. I remember the Semples, but not the other people you mention. Our family left Iveagh Street in '58. When I married in '72, my wife and I moved to Sussex, where we still live. However we still get home to Northern Ireland quite often. I feel a greater attachment to Ardglass now, as that is where most of my relatives come from, and I spent every summer holiday of my childhood there. We bought an apartment there about 7 years ago, and try to visit it as often as possible.

bhelena

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Hi Pat. I remember the Semples, but not the other people you mention. Our family left Iveagh Street in '58. When I married in '72, my wife and I moved to Sussex, where we still live. However we still get home to Northern Ireland quite often. I feel a greater attachment to Ardglass now, as that is where most of my relatives come from, and I spent every summer holiday of my childhood there. We bought an apartment there about 7 years ago, and try to visit it as often as possible.
Hi Joe 90 as you know I lived in Gartree Place in the 60s a family came to live in Kenard Avenue they were called the Duffy's from Iveagh I was friends with one girl she had red hair cant remember her name now ??? also in the mid to late 60s I lived in Beechmount for a time I moved around a  ;) ;) lot

Joe 90

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
Hi Joe 90 as you know I lived in Gartree Place in the 60s a family came to live in Kenard Avenue they were called the Duffy's from Iveagh I was friends with one girl she had red hair cant remember her name now ??? also in the mid to late 60s I lived in Beechmount for a time I moved around a  ;) ;) lot
Could your friend be Eileen Deepo - she had a beautiful head of red curly hair. She lived at the bottom of Fallswater Street, and played with my sisters. As far as I remember she became a teacher and worked in St Louise's with my sister. I don't remember the Duffys but I do remember the Duff family (Margaret has contributed to the other Iveagh thread).

chesterroad

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
Hi Joe90
I remember the alley at the side of your house.  The house on the right side of the alley their fireplace was on the inside of that wall and in the winter we used to lean our back against it to get warm. Do you remember the Muldoons in Iveagh street they also had a large family.  I also remember Shelia Larkin, Gerry and Isobel Toner who lived a couple of doors from you.

Dommo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:47:28 AM »
I lived in La Salle Drive, "Rillses" was our piece of countryside. We even saw cows in ther at times! Picked blackberries too!

if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Dommo

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »
I was born at 28 Iveagh Street (the house next to the narrow alley) and lived there till 1958. In our house there were Mum and Dad and 12 kids (the 13th was born just after we left in '58). Don't ask how we all fitted in. I used to play with the Gatts and the Larkins, and I was a cousin of the McCluskeys who lived in Fallswater Street (they all went to Australia, eventually).
I was run over by a car on Broadway in 1953, just before the Coronation - I had been playing "car tig" with Gerry McCrudden and Bill Burrows who lived on Broadway.
I spent many hours playing round the "Blackie", and fell into it at regular intervals.
You don't say when you were there, but maybe some of this rings a bell with you. By the way, there is another thread about Iveagh District, that has been going for a couple of years.
I was there 3 weeks ago, the Blackie is all covered over, what a shame!

if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Joe 90

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
Hi Joe90
I remember the alley at the side of your house.  The house on the right side of the alley their fireplace was on the inside of that wall and in the winter we used to lean our back against it to get warm. Do you remember the Muldoons in Iveagh street they also had a large family.  I also remember Shelia Larkin, Gerry and Isobel Toner who lived a couple of doors from you.
Yes, I remember the Muldoons and the Larkins (we played with Robert and Sean, and Sheila was big sister, Paddy was an electronics wizzard).  I remember the other names, but not the faces. I also remember that the wall used to be warm from our fire, in the alley. When I was a certain height, I used to put my feet on one wall, and my hands on the opposite wall, and do a sort of spider walk up the walls. I got to about 6 feet before chickening out, but I was tempted to go higher, which could have been very dangerous!

chesterroad

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
Hi Joe90
I remember Paddy and his electronics intrest.  I recall him having a crystal set and also having a intercom system with
his mate next door with copper wire and a couple of old tin cans one on each end.  Isobel Toner and Shelia Larkin were
good friends and I think Gerry Toner went to live in New York.  Mrs Toner was a good friend of my mother.  It was a long time ago but great to see a lot of Iveagh history that was inthe era when I was a boy playing around Iveagh.
My Grandparents lived in Breamer Street.

Joe 90

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Hi Joe90
I remember Paddy and his electronics intrest.  I recall him having a crystal set and also having a intercom system with
his mate next door with copper wire and a couple of old tin cans one on each end.  Isobel Toner and Shelia Larkin were
good friends and I think Gerry Toner went to live in New York.  Mrs Toner was a good friend of my mother.  It was a long time ago but great to see a lot of Iveagh history that was inthe era when I was a boy playing around Iveagh.
My Grandparents lived in Breamer Street.
You are right about Paddy and the crystal set. I think he got his interest in electronics from his Dad who used to mend people's TV sets. I think Paddy's little radio was more sophisticated than you suggest - he had a friend in Iveagh Parade (Raymond Mooney? - not sure of the name) and they could actually communicate from house to house.

mauram

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
My brother and his family lived in 21 Braemar Street and I lived in 20 Irwell Street