Author Topic: Iveagh  (Read 6455 times)

chesterroad

Re: Iveagh
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
Hi Joe 90
I think I was talking about 1955-1956 that era and I know it was not electronic at the time.  I am not surprised he went onto more sophisticated communications at a later date.  It set the seed for me to listen to shortwave radio from around the world.  I found it a great pastime but there is very little shortwave stations of intrest anymore because of
the internet  Skype and satellite mobile phones.  Mindboggling to the world to when I was a young boy.  Cheers

chesterroad

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
Hi Mauram
My grandparents lived on the righthand side going down Breamer St next door to the McSheerys.

mauram

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
Knew the McAtamneys and Stitts at the top of the street.  Wasnt too much in Irwell Street spent most of my time "down the Falls" my mammy used to say I only got bed and breakfast there lol

Joe 90

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »
Hi Joe 90
I think I was talking about 1955-1956 that era and I know it was not electronic at the time.  I am not surprised he went onto more sophisticated communications at a later date.  It set the seed for me to listen to shortwave radio from around the world.  I found it a great pastime but there is very little shortwave stations of intrest anymore because of
the internet  Skype and satellite mobile phones.  Mindboggling to the world to when I was a young boy.  Cheers
Actually, I'm talking about 1957 or so - we left in '58. I think Paddy was about 14 then, so he did well to construct a radio transmitter/receiver at that age - and it seemed pretty sophisticated to me.

chesterroad

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
Hi Joe90
I am like yourself I think paddy was a wizard to be able to construct a transceiver at 14 never mind as an adult.  I would
give my right arm to be able to do it now and I am 69 years old.  Even to be able to fix one would be enough.  I do remember Paddy very well as I think the Toners lived next door to the Larkins.  I remember playing outside your house
and the boys playing handball against the side of the houses in Iveagh Crescent just before the Blackie and Celtic Park.
In those times children had a lot more fun because they entertained themselves and were not sitting with their eyes staring at a computer.  Paddy was a prime example using his brain and ability.  Cheers.

broadwaykid

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
Hi Joe, if you still are keeping an eye on the Forum, Its Bill Burrows here and yes Gerry Mc Crudden is still in touch with me although he lives in USA nowdays. I just happen to to mention the Belfast Forum to my brother in law who has never seen it before and seen your post. Best regards for 2013.  Bill

broadwaykid

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I was "Bill" in Joe,s story above about his accident back in 1953, Gerry Mc Crudden now lives in the USA and I am in constant touch with him, I lived just round the corner in Broadway, in one of the block of 4 houses at the corner of Iveagh St, I knew Gerry Mc Nulty very well and my mother was friendly with Mrs Cosgrove who lived near Gerry on the same block. Further down the street we were friendly with the Gatt family, Philip, Freddie, Billy, Ralph, Tony, Marie ,Carmel and there was another girl I cant remember her name just now. Other names from the area Terry Lyons, Shannon.I am sure there are others whose name I will remember today sometime. :)

broadwaykid

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
Mr Larkin must have lived close to the Gatt family, I remember him well coming round to fix our TV, sometimes he would take it away and it was always a valve that was the problem, he was a really nice man nothing was to much trouble for him.

Joe 90

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »
I was "Bill" in Joe,s story above about his accident back in 1953, Gerry Mc Crudden now lives in the USA and I am in constant touch with him, I lived just round the corner in Broadway, in one of the block of 4 houses at the corner of Iveagh St, I knew Gerry Mc Nulty very well and my mother was friendly with Mrs Cosgrove who lived near Gerry on the same block. Further down the street we were friendly with the Gatt family, Philip, Freddie, Billy, Ralph, Tony, Marie ,Carmel and there was another girl I cant remember her name just now. Other names from the area Terry Lyons, Shannon.I am sure there are others whose name I will remember today sometime. :)
Hi Bill - Great to hear from you after all these years. By the way the 2 names you missed from your list of Gatts are Ann and Florence. Ann became a window dresser for some of the department stores in Belfast. I don't see much of the Gatts these days (I live in England) but I met Tony a couple of times some years ago (you may know he is a priest), and Billy has an art studio in what used to be Nazareth House Convent (Ormeau Road) - you probably know he is an artist. My sister ran into him a few years back.
As for my accident, I believe you were present when it happened. You probably remember more about it than I do. All I remember is waking up in a car, with a very sore leg, on my way to hospital. I remember you and Gerry visiting me at my house after I got out of hospital.
My wife and I have a flat in Ardglass (my mother's home village), which we get over to about 4-5 times a year, so we haven't lost touch with Northern Ireland.
Keep in touch
Joe

broadwaykid

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »
Hi Joe, I do remember Gerry and I calling to see if you were ok, infact I sent Gerry an Email about 20 mins ago to check out the forum, he is in Miami for 3 months!!! Yes Florence was the girl with glasses and Ann was the youngest girl and your 100% right she worked at window dressing at some of the big stores in Belfast. I know about Tony being a priest ok he used to visit my mum in Broadway when he was training. I was an Engineer for British Airways and I remember been in Malta for our yearly visit in the early 80s when along came this dapperly dressed young priest,my wife pointed that he looked like Tony Gatt, it was him!!! We knew their family in Malta as I was often asked if I would drop little items with relatives out there, presents and the like, lovely people. Their mum used to look after me round in the old house in Iveagh st, while my Mum went out to work. I see Ralph on the road quite often but not so much of Billy these days. I retired from BA in 2006 as normal retirement for Engineers is 60 and went to work at Rathmore Grammar as a Physic Tech and have been there ever since!!! I have been trying to trace some of our old friends we knew in Beechmount especially from Clowney Street but no luck really dispite posting for a couple of years!!!. Anyway its great hearing from you and I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year. Take care. Bill

Budore

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Hi Joe, I do remember Gerry and I calling to see if you were ok, infact I sent Gerry an Email about 20 mins ago to check out the forum, he is in Miami for 3 months!!! Yes Florence was the girl with glasses and Ann was the youngest girl and your 100% right she worked at window dressing at some of the big stores in Belfast. I know about Tony being a priest ok he used to visit my mum in Broadway when he was training. I was an Engineer for British Airways and I remember been in Malta for our yearly visit in the early 80s when along came this dapperly dressed young priest,my wife pointed that he looked like Tony Gatt, it was him!!! We knew their family in Malta as I was often asked if I would drop little items with relatives out there, presents and the like, lovely people. Their mum used to look after me round in the old house in Iveagh st, while my Mum went out to work. I see Ralph on the road quite often but not so much of Billy these days. I retired from BA in 2006 as normal retirement for Engineers is 60 and went to work at Rathmore Grammar as a Physic Tech and have been there ever since!!! I have been trying to trace some of our old friends we knew in Beechmount especially from Clowney Street but no luck really dispite posting for a couple of years!!!. Anyway its great hearing from you and I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year. Take care. Bill

I know Philip Gatt from Ladybrooke and his son, Mike and his wife Mary. Philip used to work for BT and the last I heard of Mike was that he is a manager in the Ramada at Shaws Bridge. I wonder if they are related to your Gatts as Philip told me that the Gatt name is from Malta.

Broadwaykid, I know of the people you are asking about but it is 30+ years since I lived there and although I know of these people I would not know what has happened to them over the years. As I has said in another thread, I was a paperboy for 10 years and I got to know quite a lot of names of people from the Beechmount area.

B

Dommo

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
I know Philip Gatt from Ladybrooke and his son, Mike and his wife Mary. Philip used to work for BT and the last I heard of Mike was that he is a manager in the Ramada at Shaws Bridge. I wonder if they are related to your Gatts as Philip told me that the Gatt name is from Malta.

Broadwaykid, I know of the people you are asking about but it is 30+ years since I lived there and although I know of these people I would not know what has happened to them over the years. As I has said in another thread, I was a paperboy for 10 years and I got to know quite a lot of names of people from the Beechmount area.

B
in Barrack street we had a Maltese art teacher! Very exotic!
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Budore

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
in Barrack street we had a Maltese art teacher! Very exotic!

I'll bet if you seen Philip or Mike you would definitely not describe them as EXOTIC.

B

Dommo

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:50:42 AM »
I'll bet if you seen Philip or Mike you would definitely not describe them as EXOTIC.

B
well this was a whike back. We weren't too sophisticated so nothing from beyond Glenarm seemed exotic to us. I rember not being able to telnet diff between Maltese and maltesers.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

broadwaykid

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
Its terrible how streets can be cleared of the past although not everywhere,we helped get my youngest daughter on the houseing ladder a couple  of years ago in Shanlieve Rd, my wife was from Benraw Road next to it. Her brother is still the old family house and numourous other decendents are in the old family houses in Shanlieve. It appears that Clowney St has lost most of its past family connections. I guess the world has to move on. :o