Author Topic: Everton School  (Read 68818 times)

Rob1943

Everton School
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
Hello ALL in Belfast Forum,

I'm just wondering if any folks out there went to Everton Primary which then became Everton Secondary and I believe afterwards it became a Girls only school ?  I'm talking about back in the 50's as I left there in 1957 as a 14yr old and started my first job as a grocery home delivery boy for a grocery store which was up the top end of Woodville Parade.

Some teacher names I recall back then were :  Mr. Cathcart ( I think he was our Religion Teacher ) and Miss Fanny Freeburn ( I think she was our English Teacher ) and Mr. Barnes ( who I know was our Maths Teacher ). Sorry but my wee old grey cells are burning out fast but I also remember when Everton was having some renovations done we were ALL sent up to Wheatfield School.

Anyhow, I would be thrilled if anyone of that era could add anything to this thread :)

Thanks and Cheers,
Rob
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

liz17

Re: Everton School
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
I went to Everton School, I left in 1961 i was 15, trying to remember the music teacher's name, Iremember mr Cathcart big man always standing at the door, also remember Mr McCleary he was a good teacher..Liz.

manitoba

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:55 AM »
I left Everton in 1956, I was only there for three years transfered from the Henhouse.
Like you I can't remember the teachers but then I didn't really like school. I think I transfered mid term as I remember the first week I was there I had to sit a science test. there were good teachers there. I remember Mr. Barns for math as he tried to drum some learning into me.
Everton wasn't as tough as the henhouse though.
It's too bad I didn't pay more attention as I seemed to have spent the last 40 years trying to catch up.

Rob1943

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »
Thanks so very much Liz & Manitoba for sharing in this and yes Mr. Barnes did try really hard Manitoba and seeing my sister was 3 years ahead of me and she had been his star pupil can you imagine his disappointment when I came along and couldn't add 2 and 2 together for quids LOL  :-\

There was a boy there when I was there called Peter and I think his last name was Smith and his Da had the barbers shop in the Ardoyne shopping area near the Forum Picture House ?

OMG do any of you remember the National Health System that use to visit the school    what a balls up was that ?

nella

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
Hi Liz17,The music teacher was Miss McCullough. Don"t know if I got the spelling right! Rob,Mr Cathwright taught Maths.I left Everton in 62 . I loved school and had a wee cry the day I left.I remember Miss Hall was the cookery teacher and there was Mr Smith who taught Geography, Mr Redpath,Miss Morrow,Miss Grant who became Mrs Jordon when she married,she was the worst teacher !! Always kept me in after school for one thing or another !I hated gym days having to wear those horrible navy blue knickers out on the playing fields with all the boys having a good geek at us !!!  Mr Keers was the Head Master! Anyone remember his secretary"s name?  Small blond and had a big bust :o  Nella..

theengineer

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
Hi Rob and all,
I was at Everton from 1947 until 1952 approx. and left to go to Forthriver. I think my folks new the headmaster at Forthriver and persuaded him to take me on and try and instill a bit of education! It must have worked as I passed the "qualli" from there!
Sadly I dont remember any of my schoolfriends from Everton, but do remember there was a bakery out the back (I think it may have been O'Haras) where we could buy penny baps and hide them up our jumpers.

liz17

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
Hello to all x Everton Students, Nella as soon as I logged in remembered miss McCulluck.   All us standing in the side room trying to sing when she was picking out the ones that maybe could sing,  :D  I also remember going to the Forum flicks Sat. morning. good times some of it  ::)  Liz

liz17

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
I've forgot to put in about the navy nickers hated that, we had to make our own purple skirts for second year that was bad,  They would get done for that now..LOL   :o >:D Liz

liz17

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
I got the name wrong nella.Good topic rob  keep it going..
McCLOUGH....

jmac

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
Barnes became the principal of Somerdale Boys Secondary School & Cathcart became the vice principal :)
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Rob1943

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
Hello nella, jmac and theengineer,

So nice of you ALL to join in this thread and it's wonderful how a collection of memories can twig the ole grey cells into remembering more  ??? .  Nella I sincerely hope I wasn't one of those geeking boys LOL as I was about 5yrs older but I do confess to having a wee look at the girls in my era and the poor things having to wear those navy bloomers  :o .

Now was that Mr. Redpath the one who drove an old MG car ?  Yes theengineer I remember those penny baps as they use to make a real mess under the jumper from the flour that was all over them LOL !  and Nella I do remember Mr. Keers blond secretary   NOT her name but most certainly her BUST   we didn't mind being send to the Head Master's Office purely because of her  ;) .

Thanks jmac it's very interesting to hear that Barnes went on to become Principal at Somerdale, did any of you that knew him know of the tale that he had a steel plate in his head from a serious accident many years back ?

Liz I spent many a Sat morning in the Forum and yes I was one of those [censored] that dropped stink bombs and cause havoc and it was there where I had my first smoke  .. mind you it was a cinnamon stick not a cigarette  :-\

Did any of you guys get the girl's hair that sat in front of you and roll a strand or two onto a match stick then tread the match into the ink well and wait till class ended as they stood up and took the well with them  . I'm sooo sorry girls  :-*

Rob1943

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »

Let's see if this works    Time for a wee laugh at my expense  ;) if this photo gets posted here then it will show my School Photo of 1954 at Wheatfield School during the period we were all sent up there while Everton had some work done to it and the "DORK" five in from the top row is me  ??? LOL

Cheers ALL,

Rob

liz17

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
Hello Rob,  I'm glad one of you has owned up, Great photo very well dressed for the times and not long after the war.Do you remember the bus depot at Ardoyne, I think the bakery was not far from it, Down below the Forum was the chippy we used to go in lunch time to play the duke box :o :o .Liz

Rob1943

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 05:56:53 AM »
Hi Liz,  I only owned up in case someone in here knows me and let's face it I'm far enough away now so I don't think anyone will chase me way down here to smack my head  ;) .  Yes I certainly do remember the bus depot as it was almost right at the top of my street and the bakery I think was O'Hara's where we got penny baps with all that floured topping that made a mess on our uniforms  :o .  There use to be a Newsagents some where close there where I always bought my comics ... it was a wee tiny shop ?

:-* Thanks for answering Liz

Rob

liz17

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
Hello Rob, Do you remember at Ardoyne the bus conductors had to clock (not sure in or out) and they had to wait a bit before they could go again also the shoe menders, my first pair of slip on shoes where left in, went back to get them they lost them >:D  ended up with lace ups well sick :o  Liz.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy