Author Topic: Everton School  (Read 68818 times)

Rob1943

Re: Everton School
« Reply #360 on: August 14, 2016, 02:27:32 AM »
Hi Peaser excellent recount there mate but I honestly don't remember that canteen as I either ran home for lunch or had a wee lunch box with a sandwich and an apple or piece of fruit in it !  It's really sad how some of us like myself forget a lot of those early days  . I had an extremely stern and strict Mum and my sister and I were rarely allowed to go anywhere by ourselves so it's only those times when I actually got away from her that have left an impression in my wee brain !  For example my cousin Hugh Irvine and I rode our bikes to Whitehead one time and had a terrific day and then because we didn't get home till 9pm my Mum had me grounded for a week ;(

Still I survived and life does go on  :P

Rob  ;)
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

Peaser

« Reply #361 on: August 14, 2016, 02:45:03 AM »
Hi Rob. Yes I know what you mean. My mum was strict too...or rather I'd say, she was protective, but there came a time when she let us have our wings a bit, and at the age of 13 or 14 I was allowed to go Youth Hostelling with two mates. We hitch hiked , rucksacks on our backs, from the end of the lines on the Antrim Road all the way up the Antrim Coast Road to White Park Bay, stopping at hostels at Ballygally, Cushendun, and a few others I can't recall. It was a great holiday, and we hitch hiked back to Belfast in one piece about a week later. No phones, enough money to pay our two bob a night hostel fee, and a shilling for a sleeping sheet, and enough to feed ourselves...just. The rest was fresh air and fun. But would a parent let a 13 or 14 year old go hitch hiking for a week these days...without hearing from them every night with a phone call....or maybe five times a day by text? No chance. But I remember when I was about 10 doing a similar bike trip to you and Hugh....we went down to Holywood or somewhere and it being the long summer nights we just lost track of time and got back home too late. I wasn't grounded but I wasn't a popular boy.
On the canteen....I too would often go home for lunch, or take a sandwich, but the school dinners were very cheap, and they were filling enough that you probably wouldn't need another meal that day. I think the " dinner tickets" were about 6d in those days.

Rob1943

« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »
I know this thread is just about dead but for anyone who has visited and may even check in I would just like to Wish you a Very Merry Christmas and A Safe and Happy New Year 🍰🍰🍷🍷🍕🍕😻😻😻😻

Maybe we shall meet up in 2017 !  But if not thanks for your input and for your visiting   be well  

Peaser

« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2016, 05:55:26 AM »
Not so fast Rob. The Everton thread dead? Not by a long stretch. I'm sure there are plenty of other ex Everton people, and former residents of the streets around it still to get here. A good new year to yourself. We just need a couple of stories to kick it along again.  We all remember the wee shop across the road from the school...near what became the bus station...the shop was no more than a front room of a house with the open window used as the counter, They sold great baps....well, at least they were baps we used to buy and enjoy. But down in the Ardoyne shops there was a hardware store called the OK Stores. It was an Aladdin's cave of hardware. Hard to imagine how much stuff she had crammed in there. Yes...it was run by a woman...who seemed old to us then...she wore an apron, and a beret, and
rarely smiled. She knew where everything in the store was ..to the smallest screw.

Rob1943

« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2016, 03:23:54 AM »
Hi and thanks Peaser and yes I remember that lady infact I remember the food ration stamps we got after the war and my Mum would send me up to that wee shop for bread and I could get a wee bag of mixed lollies at the same time ;)

I certainly hope some more people join in with different stories as it's so nice to share and recall past times  

Rob1943

« Reply #365 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
Hello to anyone who might come into this old thread  . I would like to apologise for not posting anything in for quite some time and I probably won't be back in here or the forum as 6 weeks ago my beautiful wife of almost 50 years suddenly pasted away and I'm completely lost at the moment and honestly can't see a future without her  :'(

Thanks to those of you that contributed to this thread and I can only wish you ALL the very best for the future and please take care !

Rob1943

udini

« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts,and I'm sure lots of other members, are with you.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

gordy

« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
Hello to anyone who might come into this old thread  . I would like to apologise for not posting anything in for quite some time and I probably won't be back in here or the forum as 6 weeks ago my beautiful wife of almost 50 years suddenly pasted away and I'm completely lost at the moment and honestly can't see a future without her  :'(

Thanks to those of you that contributed to this thread and I can only wish you ALL the very best for the future and please take care !

Rob1943

My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. May God give you the peace that you seek.

GandT

« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. May God give you the peace that you seek.

I would echo every thing said here. My friend lost his wife - a year ago this week - exactly the same number of years married as you, Rob1943. He was low - very low, much more even than I thought he would be. And I visited him at least 10-12 times over that year. I know that people genuinely sympathise and empathise - they do and they really, really mean well. Nonetheless, that sort of bereavement, no matter how much others feel it, is a process in which of us is unique and alone. Family are of great support but not even children and siblings can experience and know the depth of an individual's bereavement. Time may not heal - in fact, there may be reason not to want to feel 'healed' but it does eventually lend order, shape and meaning to a life lived in love between two people. 5o years means that there must have been a great deal of all of these. May you find the peace and opportunity to know, recognise and accept with great grace and pride what the two of you achieved in a married life well lived.

Rob1943

« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2017, 02:39:12 AM »
I would just like to thank from the bottom of my heart udini, Gordy and GandT for your very kind words eight weeks along and it's still so very raw and hurting but yes your absolutely right GandT when you say that in our 50 years we created so many wonderful memories plus two of the most amazing children that we love and are loved by plus so many close and lovely friends we were truely blessed 😍  I owe her this promise that I will live the rest of my life to the fullest as she would want me to and I shall support our children to my very best for her and me.

Thanks again for visiting this thread and thanks for being thoughtful wonderful human beings 💕💕💕💕💕

Rob1943

Robina

« Reply #370 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »
Hi. I have just found this site and would love to see some posts form anyone who attended Everton from 64 to 69. I'm new to all of this. Time marches on and I've got to wondering what happened to some of the girls I knew.

asp1

« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
There was a Robina Munn in my class G1.

Robina

« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
Hi asp1. That was definitely me. Can I ask your name? I was G1 too.

asp1

« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2017, 10:37:57 PM »
Hi Robina, I have sent you a message.  regards Sarah

Robina

« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
Hi asp1
I've sent you a personal message. I hope you got it.
 :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy