Author Topic: Everton School  (Read 57237 times)

Rob1943

Re: Everton School
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »
Hi Liz yes I do remember the conductors hanging around I think they made their runs quicker so they could have a fag while waiting for right time to get back on LOL  :D .  I don't recall the shoe menders but there was a wee barber's shop and the man who ran it was the Da of one of the boys I went to Everton with and he took over from his Da after he retired.  I don't know how long he went on running the barbers ?

Cheers, Rob
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

liz17

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Just remembered across the road from the shops the fire station and I think the co-op one of my brothers worked there for a while can't think if there was any more feel there might be. Anyway Good night  up in the morning for work at 5am. Liz

moteddi

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
Hi Evertonians! I left in 1967 - Everton was a girls only school by then, and Gladys Richardson was the Headmistress..a.k.a. 'Auntie Glad'! Miss Hall of the grey streak in her hair, not to be messed with..lol..she kicked me out of cookery class for the rest of a term because I refused to handle liver... :o . Ahhh, Mrs Jordan - she taught French and was a dragon, but she also taught History and was a different person - she used to sit on the front desk, put her feet on the seat and just teach history like one big story. Rob I don't know if Mr. Redpath had an MGB, but when I was there he drove a Citroen - very exotic  :)  Also, the rumour going about when I was there was that old Mr. Cathcart, not Mr. Barnes, had a 'plate in his head'..whatever that meant! Does anyone remember Mr. Gibson, who taught English? A lovely gentleman. And oh yes...the navy knickers in first year and the mauve pleated gym skirts from then on. .awful!!  :D
Hi Liz17,The music teacher was Miss McCullough. Don"t know if I got the spelling right! Rob,Mr Cathwright taught Maths.I left Everton in 62 . I loved school and had a wee cry the day I left.I remember Miss Hall was the cookery teacher and there was Mr Smith who taught Geography, Mr Redpath,Miss Morrow,Miss Grant who became Mrs Jordon when she married,she was the worst teacher !! Always kept me in after school for one thing or another !I hated gym days having to wear those horrible navy blue knickers out on the playing fields with all the boys having a good geek at us !!!  Mr Keers was the Head Master! Anyone remember his secretary"s name?  Small blond and had a big bust :o  Nella..

Altoni

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
hi moteddi
i left everton in 1967 we where in different house names ours was blue for currie
there was red green and yellow.
mrs mc cullough music miss dinnen was typing miss turkington pe miss ferguson maths
i was in 4a what class where you in

moteddi

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
Hello Altoni!   When I left in 1967 I was in sixth form...there were only 7 of us, and I think we were the first class to sit GCEs at Everton. You've reminded me of Miss Turkington and Miss Dinnen, but I can't recall Miss Ferguson. I remember that there were 4 houses, but I can't remember mine.. :( ...doesn't seem like 45 years! :o :)
hi moteddi
i left everton in 1967 we where in different house names ours was blue for currie
there was red green and yellow.
mrs mc cullough music miss dinnen was typing miss turkington pe miss ferguson maths
i was in 4a what class where you in

Altoni

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
hi moteddi
miss ferguson looked really old as she had white hair now i dont think the sameway
she taught us maths she was strict i did nt worry as that was my best subject
mrs o neill was our form teacher.
when i looked on friends reunited web site for everton
there was only a few that i knew
i have to admit i loved everton
altoni

asp1

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »
I left in 1969. Miss Ferguson taught maths then she was replaced with Mr Whitton. Mrs Doolan taught french, she drove a green mini. The houses were Curie (blue) Nightingale (red) Austin (green) Victoria (yellow)  Mrs McClean was my form teacher.  Do you remember Mrs Campbell who taught history.

Rob1943

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
Hi Moteddi, Altoni and asp1 so great to see more Evertonians the pity is I left before it became ALL GIRLS as I think I would have enjoyed that  :P  But then again I don't think I would have got away with wearing navy nickers and thoses uniforms  :D

It's lovely to see so many of you join in and share memories of the old school and I thank you ALL for stopping in and Moteddi I was sure it was Mr. Barnes that had that plate as my sister went to Everton as well and he was her Maths teacher and it appears he got wounded in the war and had to have a metal plate put in his head to protect his brain from fragments of bone from the wound ???

Cheers ALL, Rob  :-*

Altoni

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »
hi everyone
i remember a miss hanna her class room was at the front of the school
miss mc cullough music teacher i met a few years back looked the
same as she did in 1966. honestly i could not believe hair samr colour
and style.
altoni

asp1

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
Rob1943, in the school photo I wondered if the boy stood next to you was called Billy Stephenson?

liz17

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Good Morning All, I don't remember all the teachers names just a few, There where a few good ones but not a lot.
Could not wait to leave wanted to get a job to earn my own money still the same to this day a great feeling.
Hope your all good and keeping well.Liz17..

Rob1943

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »
Hi asp1, yes I do believe that boy's name was Billy but sorry I'm way to old to remember his surname in fact at times I forget mine own  :P   and good morning liz17 I hope you had a great day but why do you start work at 5am !!! omg I'm still dreaming about 57 shades of grey then  :-* LOL

Cheers, Rob

asp1

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
Morning all.  If its the same Billy he lived in Montreal Street, had an older sister Betty, who went to Everton as well.

liz17

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Good afternoon Rob, 1943 I wake at 5am lol, I leave for work at about 6am, I will be cutting my hours soon the thought of the dark
mornings, I've done enough of it  getting too old, The plus side is you finish early. Thanks for asking. Off out with my Granddaughter for a walk with the family dog molly, Hope your well, Enjoy your book  I have heard about it some good some not so good.
Did you live near Everton School when you went there? Liz..

Rob1943

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31:33 AM »
Hi liz17, Hope you enjoyed your walk and your so lucky to be a Granny as my wife and I are still waiting for either our 43yr old daughter or 40yr old son to even get engaged  :( it's sad isn't it but they seem to have very different idea's these days so I guess we just roll along in hope  ;)   I was only joking about that book as my daughter and her friends are right into it and from what I hear about it I gave up Playboy mags many many years ago LOL :P

Yes I did live close to Everton in fact right opposite it in Cranbrook Gardens just down from the Bus Depot then there was a wee shop then further down there was a vacant block of land with a pile of dirt on it where we use to skid down off when it snowed and down the street.

Anyways enough from me cheers, Rob