Author Topic: Everton School  (Read 59560 times)

homesick harry

Re: Everton School
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
lived in a lot of places and always missed Belfast. Moved to Cornwall and it is a second home. If I won the lottery I'd have a home in both places. Next best thing is talking on these links!

asp1

« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
Hi Rob/Peaser  just wondered if the names Ernie or Harry Maginnes rang any bells.

Peaser

« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi asp1
Sorry, those names don't ring any bells with me.

Rob1943

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Hi a big welcome Browner and no sorry asp1 I also don't recall those names but with my grey cells that don't really mean much LOL it's so great to see that people are still finding this thread and supporting it so Thanks to you ALL I hope everyone gets a little something out of it and memories are so rewarding so it's great to share them  ;)

Cheers ALL,
Rob  :D
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

homesick harry

« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Rob1943 are you still in Belfast? I think it's great that so many people are interested in keeping memories going. Keep it up everyone!

Peaser

« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
I was actually only at Everton for a year when I started school before transferring to Wheatfield when it was built. But I still recall many of the teacher names from Everton. Everton when I went there in 1950 was
overstocked with students.Kids everywhere. The school iron fencing had been removed during the war and so we were left with those low walls which were great for sitting on as there was nowhere else to sit in the playground...no grass..., and  the low walls were great for jumping over. Across the road in one of the houses was a little hole in the wall shop that sold fresh baps...penny baps...which were very popular.
A place rarely mentioned on this thread is the " Enny" properly known as the NFS...or National Fire Service I think. It was a big wooded area next to the school, and I think that at one time it was owned by the NFS. It was a great playground...to me at the ages of 5-9 it was like Sherwood Forest. Many happy days playing in the Enny.

homesick harry

« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:03 AM »
found another link under Wheatfield school choir. I was in the choir in the late 1950s. There is a photo posted but it is a bit after my time. Mr Boyd is on it but I don.t recognise the teacher. The link has been dormant for some time, but give it a go and see what happens!

Rob1943

« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
Hello Harry no mate my family left Belfast in 1959 and we came to Melbourne, Australia where I am still funny you should mention the choir as I was in the Everton School one and we actually got picked to go to London on a School Choir Competion and it was right at the time my voice started to break    needless to say I did'nt last much longer in the choir after that LOL !   ( Besides girls became a much more hobby than singing  ::)

Peaser those penny baps sure made a mess of the school blazers LOL

Cheers, Rob  ;)

Peaser

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
Crumbs everywhere.

homesick harry

« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
you must like Australia to have stayed all this time, Rob1943. We have family in Sherpparton  and Adelaide, and a few places that don't seem to be on the map! Our cousin's son is Sid Brisbane. Would love to go and see Australia but my husband will not fly. Will just have to continue reading the travel books.

Rose1950

« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »
I have just found this  website I went to Everton school from1961 1965 I have recognised a lot of the teachers  some before my time   I can remember a few more teachers that haven't been mentioned most of the people on this site where at this school either 50s or 70s there doesn't seem to be many in my era maybe some more will join in the discussion  :) :)

homesick harry

« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
Hi Rose 1950. I'm a newbie myself. and it's great meeting people who know what you are talking about. Did you live near the school. I lived in Glenbryn Park and went to Wheatfield before I went to Everton.

Rose1950

« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »
Hi homesick Harry I didn't go to wheatfield primary I went to riddell memorial at Malvern st  shankill rd

Rob1943

« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »
Hi and a big welcome to you Rose1950 good of you to drop in and there are some fine folks here enjoying exercising our wee grey cells trying to remember Everton and anything else about the area  ??? was it an all girls school then Rose as I left it in 1957 as a 14yr old to start work and then we left Belfast to come to Australia in 1959 ! 

Harry I'm ever so greatfull to my parents for the great deed they did for my sister and me in leaving their home and family and bringing us to Australia it's been wonderful and I would never live anywhere else  ;)

My son has got married to a American lady and as soon as he gets his Green Card from this end he will take off over to her in LA  . it will be a sad time but you can't hold your children back from what they want in their life :)   ( besides free rent in LA will be a bonus LOL  :D )

Cheers all.
Rob  :)

homesick harry

« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
Thanks for answering Rob1943. Everyone I know that has settled in Australia all say the same thing. It sounds as if you are another. Can't be bad having a son moving to LA. Plenty of holidays!
My son lives in Shrewsbury, not nearly as exciting but it means the grandchildren are nearer.