Author Topic: RIC stations and barracks  (Read 1149 times)

stiofan78

RIC stations and barracks
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
I've in the middle of building a family tree and came across that great grandfathers brother served in the RIC and have gotten information on were he served and his RIC number  and was looking to find is there a way of knowing what particular station he might have served in.He only served for a short time as he fell ill and died a young man.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pentio

Re: RIC stations and barracks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
I've in the middle of building a family tree and came across that great grandfathers brother served in the RIC and have gotten information on were he served and his RIC number  and was looking to find is there a way of knowing what particular station he might have served in.He only served for a short time as he fell ill and died a young man.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi stiofan

A very welcome to the Belfast Forum, I hope you enjoy the site. This thread may help you, good luck with your search.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,23945.0.html

FJ

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Where and when did he serve?
The Street directorys might list him but that depends on where and when. I've found RIC men that way before.

JohnKelly

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 06:37:45 AM »
Here is an interesting video which will give you an insight into police history in Ireland and in particularly the RIC,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWM3eaMcj7I&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps Jim Herlihy who is the speaker in the video could point you in the right direction.

The video was linked from the following website,

http://www.policehistory.com/index.html

gray_marian

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:45:04 AM »
Here is an interesting video which will give you an insight into police history in Ireland and in particularly the RIC,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWM3eaMcj7I&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps Jim Herlihy who is the speaker in the video could point you in the right direction.

The video was linked from the following website,

http://www.policehistory.com/index.html

Thank you for the links John, half way through the first so far, fascinating. Jim Herlihy deserves a medal for the ground covered. :)

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:55:59 AM »
Iíve asked this question before on another thread but no luck so Iíll try here.

Does anyone have a photo of the old RUC Station Main Street Dungiven ? This is not to be confused with the old RIC Barracks at the top of the town which is now a FOLD . The station in question was near the middle of Main Street beside the Finvola Hotel , on the left side as one travels from the Maiden City to Belfast . It originally had been a wealthy families town house and was originally called Greenwood Villa . Legend had it that it was requisitioned by the newly formed RUC in 1922 and over the years , like many old stations , was modified and heavily fortified especially after 1969. This Station was subsequently demolished in the 1990s and a new station built on the same site which then after the disbandment of the RUC and formation of the PSNI was sold to Dungiven Presbyterian Church as a Sunday School /Community meeting place and is now officially known as The Station.

This was my first Station as a young Constable and I would love to have a photo of it , Iíve tried various other sources like the Police museum etc but no luck.

Hereís hoping.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

JohnKelly

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »

....This was my first Station as a young Constable and I would love to have a photo of it , Iíve tried various other sources like the Police museum etc but no luck.

Hereís hoping.

I recall that my parents and grandparents always referred to the Police Barracks and not the Police Station.

Not sure how far you go back Bigali but as young Constable did you live in the Police Barracks or did you have to find your own accommodation?

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
I recall that my parents and grandparents always referred to the Police Barracks and not the Police Station.

Not sure how far you go back Bigali but as young Constable did you live in the Police Barracks or did you have to find your own accommodation?

Yes my parents would have called it barracks as well but the Chief Constable at the time , Sir Jack Hermon ,encouraged calling them stations instead of barracks the same way as he changed the name of the RUC Depot in Enniskillen to RUC Training Centre.

I was stationed in Dungiven from 1983 until 1986 and myself and a few other single men lived in the station until the threat of attack on the station was deemed too high for men to be sleeping in and we were then given accommodation in Limavady station which  was a bit of a contradiction really as we had to drive from Limavady every day and there was only one road in and out of Dungiven from Limavady so it would have been easy to target anyone coming on or off duty , thankfully no actual attacks took place during shift changeover times , but we were made aware that several attacks had been planned and aborted for various reasons.

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

JohnKelly

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »

I was stationed in Dungiven from 1983 until 1986 and myself and a few other single men lived in the station.   

I don't know why but I imagined you went back a bit further than that. :)

My reason for asking was I recall the police stations of Ballyhackamore, Dundonald and Newtownards in the mid 1950's and in their previous life would have been two story residential dwellings; the one in Ballyhackamore was on the Upper Newtownards Road just about opposite Wilson's Pub; it was much the same as those in Dundonald and Newtownards.

I'd always wondered if the single police officers lived in those so called police barracks.

I recall also around 1960 the RUC had a big recruiting campaign with the attraction being that with their pay rise they were on £1,000 a year

Bigali

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
I don't know why but I imagined you went back a bit further than that. :)

My reason for asking was I recall the police stations of Ballyhackamore, Dundonald and Newtownards in the mid 1950's and in their previous life would have been two story residential dwellings; the one in Ballyhackamore was on the Upper Newtownards Road just about opposite Wilson's Pub; it was much the same as those in Dundonald and Newtownards.

I'd always wondered if the single police officers lived in those so called police barracks.

I recall also around 1960 the RUC had a big recruiting campaign with the attraction being that with their pay rise they were on £1,000 a year

I think I go back far enough , I was nineteen in 1983 and thatís 36 years ago !  :D

JohnKelly

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
I think I go back far enough , I was nineteen in 1983 and thatís 36 years ago !  :D

Indeed, how time goes by when you are having fun.

Bigali

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »
Indeed, how time goes by when you are having fun.

I meant to say yesterday that the police station in Ballyhackamore is now a solicitors office.

ms

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 06:45:51 AM »
Police Museum | Police Service of Northern Ireland

https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/our-history/police-museum/
[/size][/b]
[/color]
[/size][/li]
[li][/size][/li]
[/list]
Our collection includes police uniforms, equipment, medals and archives[/color] from ... the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and early Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC).

ms