Author Topic: Old Families of Carrickfergus & Ballynure  (Read 8671 times)

valkerr

Re: Old Families of Carrickfergus & Ballynure
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »

Ballynure Old Graveyard
CLEMENTS
[Two tablets (Castle espie limestone and sandstone) flank the sealed entrance of a basalt vault.] Here lyeth the bodies of Ellinor, the wife of Edward Clements of Mvlligan-Hill gent, and eldest daughter of Alexander DALLVAY of Bally Hill Esqr., who departed this life the 3rd day of March 1628 aged 35 years.
This tablet to mark the burying place of the ELLIS family of Straid & Prospect was placed here by their last representative Jane Anne Clements NICOLEY in July 1884. Tablet in opposite pillar has been placed there for safety.
[Captain Robert Ellis obtained a burgess share in the 1606 division of Carrickfergus lands. He had three sons John, Edmond and Henry. Edmond was provost-marshall under Sir Henry Dockwra and had five sons Foulk, Edmond, Francis, Anthony and Henry, who were all active in the military struggles of the civil wars. Edmond was governor of Carrickfergus in 1649. Henry served as a major under the Commonwealth, acquired lands in Leinster, and had four sons Henry, Francis, Hercules and Edward, of whom the eldest (Henry) married Sarah, daughter of Edward Clements, Straid, and was sovereign of Belfast 1717, 1720, and 1722. Francis settled at Prospect and married Anne, another daughter of Edward Clements. They had two sons Henry and Hercules. Hercules was the mayor of Carrickfergus in 1770 and 1774. He married Catherine Barry, a granddaughter of Sir Robert Adair, but left no children. The elder brother Henry was mayor 1754-57 and again in 1773. He married Eleanor, daughter of Waterhouse Crymble of Clements Hill. They had three daughters. Millicent married Charles Adair of Loughanmore in 1775; Nancy married Rev. Dr C. Benning; and Mary did not marry. Their only son Henry Clements Ellis inherited Straidland on the death of his uncle Edward Crymble and married firstly Jane, daughter of William Burleigh of Dublin, who died in 1795 without surviving children. His second wife was Jane, a daughter of James Craig of Carrickfergus (q.v) and their daughter Jane married firstly Duncan Wilson, and secondly Christian William Nicolay. See McCrum ed. of McSkimin: History and Antiquities of Carrickfergus (1909).]
CLEMENTS
[Red sandstone next to Mary Clements who died 1867.] Erected by Mary McCURDY in memory of her husband Henry Clements who died on the 2nd March 1831 aged 75 years. The above-named Henry Clements' first wife Martha SIMM died the 9th July 1800 aged 48 years.
CLEMENTS
[Small unshaped stone.] Here lyeth the body of Frances Clements aged 82 years. 1812.
CLEMENTS
In memory of Mary Clements, the beloved wife of Wm. Clements, who departed this life on 5th March 1867 aged 63 years. And an infant son. Also her son Andrew who was lost at sea in May 1852 aged 22 years. Also the above-named Wm. Clements who died 16th March 1882 aged 76 years.
PHILLIPS
[Reversed against Clements vault, reused by Crowe.] Erected by Mary DOLLAR of Dekalb, State of New York, in memory of her father John Phillips who died in May 1832 aged 80 years. In this enclosed spot rest the remains of her mother Ann CLEMENTS, her sister Jannet, and her brothers, viz. William, John, Henry, James, Samuel & David.
Carrickfergus Old Graveyard (St. Nicholas')
CLEMENTS
[Recorded in McSkimin: History and Antiquities of Carrickfergus (1811) p.43 as "slab on the floor near pulpit" but it was lost by 1909.] Here lyeth the body of Henry Clements of Strade Esq. aged 52 years who departed this life the 2d. day of November 1696 being then Mayor of Carrickfergus.
[The Clements family, who settled locally in the early seventeenth century, held a modest estate at Straid acquired from John Dalway of Bellahill in 1609 (P.R.O.N.I. D1905/2/153B). In the late eighteenth century the estate passed to Henry Clements Ellis of Prospect, Carrickfergus and subsequently to his daughter Jane Anne Clements Nicholay. The Clements and Ellis families were prominent in the corporate life of Carrickfergus throughout the later seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. See P.R.O.N.I., Adair Papers D3860; McCrum ed. of McSkimin: History and Antiquities of Carrickfergus (1909) pp. 418-9 (Clements family) and 478-82 (Ellis family).]
CLEMENTS
[Next to Henry Eccleston d. 1829. The style of this stone would place it in the second quarter of the nineteenth century.] (Er)ec(ted) by George ECCLESTON in memory of his grandmother Agnes Clements. Also her son James and his wife Isabella Clements.

hilaryc

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 05:27:48 PM »
 Hi would you please look to see if there are any ERDIS burials ? Came from EDEN, Carrickfergus, Larne.and the surrounding areas . Thank you so much.

valkerr

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 10:14:08 PM »
hilaryc, you already pm'd me about Erdis burials and none were found!

Lakemba

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
If it's not too much trouble and you have a chance could you have a look for any DONALDs in Carrickfergus area please?

Carolhill

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 12:47:54 AM »
Hi thanks for the offer of help, can you look up Robert Speers in Carrickfergus for me please, it's for a cousin in Canada whose gg grandfather was the mill manager of Taylors Mill and passed away in 1871. We know he was buried in the 'Carrickfergus burying ground' according to the death notice and we're trying to trace where this was - North road, St Nicholas or other graveyard.
Many thanks

valkerr

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 02:27:54 AM »
Lakemba,
Carrickfergus Old Graveyard (St. Nicholas')
DONALD
[Slate.] Erected by Isabella Donald in memory of her husband William Donald died 7th March 1839 aged 40 years. Also 3 of her children John, Jane & William.
DONALD
Erected by William Donald in memory of his brother Robert Donald who died April 1852 aged 4 years. Also his brother Robert John who died 30th Decr. 1861 aged 3 months. Also his sister Ellen who died August 14th 1862 aged 4 years. And his son Robert John Donald who died 30th June 1870 aged 8 years.
DONALD
[Slate beside AGNEW.] Erected by Thomas Donald in memory of his beloved wife Margaret who departed this life 2nd Sept. 1856 aged 65 years. She was a most affectionate wife and mother, and has left her husband five sons & one daughter to lament their loss. The above Thomas Donald died 15th Oct. 1862 aged 72 years.
[Thomas Donald, servant of the Town, was made a freeman in 1813.]
DONALD
Erected by Alexander Donald to the memory of his son John who died on the 12th of May 1871 aged 29 years.
DONALD
[Cast iron plaque lying close to the preceding.] The family burying place of Robert Donald, Carrickfergus, 1903. [Cast by:-] James Moore & sons Ltd., ironfounders, engineers, Belfast, Millfield Foundry. 
AGNEW
Erected by Daniel Agnew in memory of his two children Robert & Lizzie who died in infancy. The above Daniel Agnew died 5th June 1895 aged 76 years. Also his wife Elizabeth DONALD who died 20th Jany. 1904 aged 77 years.

valkerr

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 02:33:56 AM »
Sorry Carolhill, nothing for Speers.

Lakemba

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »
Thank you so much for all that information, valkerr. You've given me lots of new led to follow up on searching for the Donald family from Carrickfergus.

scorpy

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
Hi valkerr. I would be grateful for any info on the surname  Carmichael  in that book when you  get a wee chance. Cheers.

valkerr

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
Hi valkerr. I would be grateful for any info on the surname  Carmichael  in that book when you  get a wee chance. Cheers.
Sorry scorpy, no Carmichaels, there are Carmichaels from Carrickfergus in my own family tree and I can't find anything on them except a birth in 1832!

scorpy

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
Sorry scorpy, no Carmichaels, there are Carmichaels from Carrickfergus in my own family tree and I can't find anything on them except a birth in 1832!
Thanks for looking anyway valkerr.  Interesting that you have Carmichaels in your family tree. I was able to find (through lds family search), if my assumptions are correct, my lineage of Carmichaels starting in Larne, but mostly the Ballycarry area (around 1850), some moving on to Lisburn (around 1900) and then Ardoyne in Belfast (about 1910).  The reason i hoped there may be something in your book was that, one of them, Patrick, married a Tiney? Mcferran in Joymount Presbyterian church in Carrickfergus. Actually i came across a couple of Carmichael/ Mcferran  Mcferran seems to have been a common name in Carrickfergus. Incidentally i have saw  Carmichael graves in  Glynn, Templecorran and Gleno. Alas they dont seem to be the direct line im on. If you want i will pm you some of the names and dates i have if i can hoke them out. Cheers.

Bongos1

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Hi, if you are still able to could you look up the names Shearer and Bennett.
Thank you it's very much appreciated.

valkerr

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 04:11:54 AM »
Hi, if you are still able to could you look up the names Shearer and Bennett.
Thank you it's very much appreciated.
Sorry, nothing for either name.

Bongos1

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to look it's very appreciated.

kellysmith1976

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
Hi.. Would you be able to look up Loughan Or Bailey ?..

Thank you so much x