Author Topic: trying to find some friends from Andersonstown  (Read 35519 times)

MAgeeka

Re: trying to find some friends from Andersonstown
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 09:57:51 PM »
Annie
Please tell Jim, that my brother Gerry Rice, from Albert St still talks about him.
I was a wee boy when Jim used to come into our house in Albert St. He wore his white painter clothes . He had good neat hair,always well groomed
Perhaps you also remember a girl from Arizona St named Rita King  ( Very?   She was a friend of my sister. 
I also had several cousins who lived in Andytown Park.
Their name was Mc Avoy.
There was  John,Gerry, Paddy, Mary, Joseph, Gerry, Brendan, Alfie and Ann

anniepepper

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 03:12:18 AM »
I dont remember to much of Arizona St. as I was only 3 when we moved to Glassmullin in Anderstown,  Our Boys are way older than my sister and me but I remember our Jim dressing me up in his painter outfit and singing only a working man to me and having me prance around in these big overalls like Charlie Drake LOL i must have looked real cute to Him as it was a regular form of enjoyment for them ( our boys ) also to have me and my sister play at boxing when they had to baby sit us I remember them shouting come on the big one the wee one's winning , Brothers i tell ya lol but sure they are great memories as well I can remember Him teaching me how to stain wood and put a grain in it i think if i tried hard enough today i could still do it i was his apprentice i guess when he was an apprentice lol and had to learn.

Ann

MAgeeka

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 07:48:59 PM »
Annie
My bruv asked if you could possibly P.M me Jims number, as Gerry would lone to give him a call and speak to him again  Gerry was all excited when I spoke about you and Jim.
Tell Jim that gerry has 4 boys and one girl.  He also has 9 grandchildren
Tell Jim, Gerry is still playing away  He has currently 3 months in the Opera house and doubles up on other gigs as well
He plays Soprano, Alto , tenor and baritone saxes.   B flat and E flat and Bass clarinet, plus Flute..  His son Brian is an excellent drummer

denmagic

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 05:47:38 PM »
Hi Annie,

Would you know any of my family?

My mum, aunts, uncles and grandparents (O'Brien) lived at the bottom of Tullymore gardens in the cul-de-sac.

(_8())
..It's a Kind of Magic!

AL CAPONE

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »
beside the wright family?

teap

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
I know the Wrights from Edenmore Drive beside the egg and sausage. and my aunt lives in Tullymore Walk

AL CAPONE

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
yes collette that's the place.i used to work with one of them.

anniepepper

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
Hi Annie,

My mum, aunts, uncles and grandparents (O'Brien) lived at the bottom of Tullymore gardens in the cul-de-sac.

(_8())

yes i did know O'Brien my sister Geraldine was a good friend of Eileens,  if its the same family.  we lived in glassmullin just up from the cul de sac . sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but i have been out of commision for a spell lol but doing better now

MAgeeka

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »
Hey Annie
Good to see you back
Hope you are well
M

denmagic

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »
Hi Annie,

(_8())

yes i did know O'Brien my sister Geraldine was a good friend of Eileens,  if its the same family.  we lived in glassmullin just up from the cul de sac . sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but i have been out of commision for a spell lol but doing better now

Hi Anne, 

Eileen was my mammy, i've sent you an email.

Please get back to me.

(_8(I)
..It's a Kind of Magic!

anniepepper

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 04:30:46 AM »
I will be over visiting Geraldine and will get her logged in and show her the postings and help her write back to you Hon I remember Eileen well she was a lovely wee girl i used to tag along with my sister a lot she had to take me I was the child I dont think her and her friends really appreciated me to much as i was a stoolie on them they tried hard to ignore me and hope i would just go away lol but well wee sisters are brats
i dont remember any ham and eggs place on tullymore must be up in the new end well i guess it would not be a new end now but it was 40 years ago lol but back then shaws rd was all farmers fields and some old cottages and you could cut over the fields to go to midnight mass up in the barn at christmas there was even cows in the fields back then I took a drive down glassmullin the last time i was home ( about 8 years ago) and wow every thing has changed so much if i go this year im sure it will be changed again i hope to really see Belfast this time around I just want to walk around town like i used to is it still possible to just go into Belfast on the bus and shop in Littlewoods and Marks and Spencers ? i hear the price of smokes is awful i will be bringing my own lol 

denmagic

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
I will be over visiting Geraldine and will get her logged in and show her the postings and help her write back to you Hon I remember Eileen well she was a lovely wee girl i used to tag along with my sister a lot she had to take me I was the child I dont think her and her friends really appreciated me to much as i was a stoolie on them they tried hard to ignore me and hope i would just go away lol but well wee sisters are brats
i dont remember any ham and eggs place on tullymore must be up in the new end well i guess it would not be a new end now but it was 40 years ago lol but back then shaws rd was all farmers fields and some old cottages and you could cut over the fields to go to midnight mass up in the barn at christmas there was even cows in the fields back then I took a drive down glassmullin the last time i was home ( about 8 years ago) and wow every thing has changed so much if i go this year im sure it will be changed again i hope to really see Belfast this time around I just want to walk around town like i used to is it still possible to just go into Belfast on the bus and shop in Littlewoods and Marks and Spencers ? i hear the price of smokes is awful i will be bringing my own lol 

Cheers Annie

I would appreciate that.

The area is really built up now - all the green fields are going, even horners field has even been built on and yes we still have buses and a great black taxi service that bring you into town.

By the way don't expect to smoke in the bars when you come home, they are banning it at the end of April.  You'll have to stand outside.

Den

(_8())
..It's a Kind of Magic!

mia

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 04:58:51 AM »
Mageeka, I remember Gerry Rice when he played in the Dave Glover band. He played 'Stranger on the shore' on the clarinet.
Did your sister marry a guy called Morgan? I forget his first name.

MAgeeka

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:05 AM »
Yes Mia  Small world
 My Sis Patricia
Murty Morgan is her husband
He went to Nam in the sixties
Just before Christmas 2006 he had a dreadful accident in New Jersey  He fell Busted all ribs  two broken shoulders  broken hip and lost an eye
He is still recovering and it will be a long road
Why dont you send me a private message and I will fill you in on a lot more
M

Helens Bay

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 06:05:31 AM »
Hi ,
Pass on my best wishes to Murtagh he and I used to play together as kids when we lived in Iveagh Dr
Must be 50 years since I last saw him.