Author Topic: Etta Wilson-  (Read 1080 times)

DanS

Etta Wilson-
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:47 AM »
Hello: I am new to this forum. My father, Bruno H. Schwandt, was in the US Army in WWII and spent some time in Belfast before shipping out to North Africa. He died July 23, 2011. Before he died we talked about many things. One thing he brought up was a lady he met while in Belfast. Her name was Etta Wilson. In fact, he and one or two other soldiers stayed at Etta's home for a few days. After he left Belfast, he wrote to Etta regularly, but the Army took away all his letters after the war. My dad wondered whatever happened to Etta? After his death, and while going through his things, we found a photo of Etta. It had a stamp on the back, Louis Morrison, 10 Donecall Place. I Googled this name, which led me to this site. I am wondering if anyone knows or knew Etta Wilson? I would love to hear from anyone who did. I know this is a long shot. All I know is that she lived with her mother and her brother was killed in the war before my dad stayed at Etta's house. I appreciate your assistance. Best regards, Dan Schwandt

DMW

Re: Etta Wilson-
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:35:59 AM »
Hi Dan - Welcome to Belfast Forum.    Saw your post about Etta Wilson.   I googled Henrietta Wilson, Belfast, N I (Etta is short for Henrietta), and came across an obituary for
Henrietta Wilson Vise.   Born in Belfast, N I April 1924 --- Died Sept 29/1977 in Chicago,IL.   Met : Albert Vise (in Belfast ?)in 1941 - could he have been one of your dad's army mates?
Married June 1946 in Chicago,IL.
If you google Henrietta Wilson, Belfast, NI - you can see the notice in -- The Deseret News - Oct 2, 1977.
Good luck in your search.   

DanS

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »
Thanks for your post. I will check it out. Wouldn't that be something to think that Etta was in the USA all those years and my dad didn't know it? Wow! Thanks much for your help. Best, Dan

DanS

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:59 AM »
DMW: Well, I checked out the lead and read the obit for Etta Vise. Boy, hard to know. Her birthdate would seem close. My dad would have met her in 1942, I suspect, before he shipped out to North Africa. I note this Etta met her soldier, and later husband,  in August of 1941. I wonder? I know so little about Etta. I have her picture. I know the photographer and I know my dad talked fondly of her before he passed away. He said he always wondered what happened to Etta. So much history lost! I will continue the search. Thanks, again! Best, Dan

merseyperson

Re: Etta Wilson- Deseret news obit ?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:53:32 AM »
Good piece of lateral and creative thinking there by DMW.

She's not showing up on any post WW2 ships pasenger lists from U.K. to the States.

IF that is her though, you couldn't have struck luckier for researching it.

Because that's a Salt Lake City, Utah newspaper, AND it's owned by the LDS = Mormons AND they've got a mountain of genealogy records nearby, literally so, Granite Mountain, and no wonder they've got so much material, they've been collecting it since about 1948.

Granite Mountain is their records storage facility, they keep most of that stuff on microfiche, AND they have free local research centers just about everywhere AND they can order in any records for you from Granite Mountain for free.

AND they have a free online search engine AND just before I read DMW's last message, I was checking their search engine AND there are a whole bunch of birth record listings for Henrietta Wilsons in and around Belfast in the first half of the 20th century.

I'll clue you in to all of that tomorrow.

Checked your profile again btw Dan, still can't see your email address.

Typo btw - it's DONEGAL Place, obviously a photography studio.

DMW mentioned, what was it, of yes, perhaps she married an army bud of your dad, well perhaps, but also, are you in contact with any of the guys from his unit, VFW posts perhaps. ?

You don't need much to work on, a name or two, a street name, or even a district name, it's surprising what you can dig up based on very small clues.
Regards, Steve.

DanS

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:04:08 AM »
Steve:  Thanks for your help. I do not know why my e-mail address doesn't show. I'll check further. I appreciate your help. Best, Dan

Tischris

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
Hi, There's a tree for her on Ancestry, also her grave on findagrave where her headstone says "My Irish Rose"
Name:Etta W ViseService Info.:S SGT US ARMYBirth Date:10 Apr 1921Death Date:29 Sep 1997Relation:Wife of Vise, Albert MCemetery:Utah State Veterans CemeteryCemetery Address:17111 S Camp Williams Rd Riverton, UT 84065Buried At:Section A Site 72b
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=49095748&PIpi=57925782
 Etta WilsonBirth04/10/1921inBelfast, IrelandDeath LivingDeath29 September 1997inSalt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USAChris

DanS

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:26:53 AM »
Chris: Thanks. Not sure the same Etta. I'm trying to figure this out. I noted in the obituary that this Etta did not have a brother listed that died before her. My dad said she had a brother killed in WWII. So, I am wondering if this is the same Etta Wilson? Dan

maura

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
There a baptism for a Jeanetta [ could be shorten to Etta] Wilson 1919 Fitzroy Presbyterian church Belfast, daughter of Thomas Wilson & Maria Mackey. She didn't marry and is buried in Dundonald Cemetery Belfast 15th December 1996.

maura

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
Between 1910 -1922 theres only 2 Henrietta Wilson born in Belfast, & 1 born in Lisburn. BMD's stop online at 1922 for N.Ireland.

There also a Henrietta Wilson born 1918 Belfast naturalized in New Zealand 1953, but doesn't state whether is married or single

Kathleen Wilson

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
Hi

I have just seen your forum post ref Etta Wilson and I am writing to let you know that she was my Aunt as my father Thomas was her youngest brother and they had another brother Edmund who was taken prisoner during the war.  They lived in the centre of Belfast and during the war their mother took in boarders who were mostly serving soldiers.  I have a 'guest book' that visitors signed and I can see your fathers signature on the page dated November 15th 1942 - he has signed Tech, Sgt Bruno Schwandt, Appleton, Minnesota.  Unfortunately Etta, Edmund and Tom have all passed away.  I live in Belfast would be happy to give you further details if you would like to email me directly.  (Just joined now to reply to you so I'm not really familiar with this site yet but there does seem to be a mailbox facility).

Best regards

Kate McMaster (formerly Wilson)     

DanS

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
Kate: I sent you a personal message. I am stunned by your post. Finally, I have found Etta's family. I am so moved by this. I want to know more about Etta and her life. I will tell you all about my dad, his life and about our family. My father talked about Etta while in the nursing home. He always wondered what happened to her. He spoke of her fondly and always with a smile. This is simply amazing! Thank you so much for your post. My best to you. Dan

sonnyboy

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Wow What a result i hope there is a happy ending

DMW

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:28 AM »
Kate - First of all - Welcome to the Belfast Forum -  How did you find it?
Really great news you can provide Dan  with some information on Etta.  I know he will be really happy

Where are you in Belfast? I was born and grew up in Sydenham, moved to Canada in 1965.   

mar

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 02:12:16 AM »
Hi I was just speaking to Etta's husband Albert who is still living here in Salt Lake City.  He is amazing and 101 years old.  I was just asking him about how he met his wife. [size=78%]Then I decided to look up her[/size] obtituary  since he told me she had passed away.  Then I came across this thread.  Here is her obituary:[/size]
[size=78%] [/size]

Etta Vise, cherished wife, mother, nana, sister and friend, passed away Sept. 29, 1997 with dignity and courage after a battle with cancer. Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, April 10, 1921 to Margaret and Thomas Wilson. She met her beloved husband of 51 years, Albert M. Vise during the fall of 1941. World War II was instrumental in bringing their lives together. They were married June 5, 1946 in Chicago, Illinois. Making their home in Utah brought many joyous years, four children, eight grandchildren, many loving friends, a life filled with adventure and a successful career partnership working together in their own business, Al's Hair Design.
Etta is survived by her husband, Albert M. Vise, Salt Lake City; brother, Thomas Wilson, Belfast, Northern Ireland; daughters, Pamela (Stephen) Hutchinson, Salt Lake City; Sharon M. Parks, Twin Falls, Idaho; Marilyn (Mick) Behunin, Ferron, Utah; son, Philip M. (Terri) Vise, Salt Lake City; eight grandchildren, her most treasured possessions.

[size=inherit][/size]

Report ad[/size][/color]Private memorial service will be held October 2, 1997 at Veterans Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society.
IRISH BLESSING
May the roads rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sun shine upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again...
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
Etta's gracious demeanor and loving smile will be greatly missed.

[size=inherit]

[/size]