Author Topic: Old Graveyard Near Donegall Pass.  (Read 4419 times)

acheux_rifleman

Re: Old Graveyard Near Donegall Pass.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 09:12:25 AM »
Hi again Brian and thanks for the PM.

Just sent the picture of George Russell to your active e-mail.

Let me know if there are any family resemblences??

Best Wishes and many thanks again,

Acheux.
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

Volvic

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi Acheux,

Thank you so much for your PM, it is really most kind of you to suggest doing that - good luck with it.

The photo of George is excellent, lovely to have a photo of one of my relatives.

There doesn't seem to be much of a family resemblance as far as I can tell, although that photo is face on while any I have of Granda are side face. I suppose with the cap on he looks quite different also.

Can't thank you enough for all this,
Best Wishes,
Brian.

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
Hi there Brian and thanks for the copy of James Alexander Russell's MIC.

On the image of the card, at the top right corner, there is a number - 392 - followed by roman numeral. Can you make out if this number is XXV or is it XXVI - this is the King's Regulation under which he was discharged.

KR 392 (XXV) - His service being no longer required (end of the conflict)

KR 392 (XXVI) - At his own request after 21 (or more) years service (with a view to pension under the Pay Warrant)

The latter would indicate previous service in the Colours (regular Battalion) and would also infer reciept of pension. This details should also be available, as well as the roll for his Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

He was discharged from the Army on the 14th August 1919 and enlisted on the 26th June ?? (can't make this out).

The referral to 'list' number is the actual medal roll itself, which will give entitlement and may give details of other service. Originally he was on list LC/5491 then for some reason was resubmitted and appears on list LC/5620.

Maybe this was something to do with his pension or the award of another medal? Hard to tell. To be honest, this is a strange format for one of these cards. If you look at the other downloaded alongside James's, you will see the medal entitlement - ie 1914-15 Star, War and Victory medals. Usually you also get the theatre of qualification - nothing apparent on this one.

Will investigate further and be in touch.

Best Wishes,

Acheux.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

bookworm

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 11:26:27 PM »
I remember being told that a children"s playground at Barrington St on the Donegall Rd used to be a graveyard in the early 1900"s It was beside the railway and had a wooden bridge which led into Utility St.  Used to play there a lot in the late 40"s . There was also a funeral home right beside the entrance of the park  on the Donegall Rd.

Volvic

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
Hi Bookworm,

That is very helpful, thankyou.  I will see what I can find out about it.

Best Wishes,
Brian.

panjandrum

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
OK, I know it is 13 years since this question was asked.
But as it has not been completely answered, and I believe I have the answer, I joined the forum just to post this.
My grandmother was Matilda Margaret (Tillie) Russell.
She lived in Virginia Street.
Three of her sisters, Mabel, Eva and Florence, died of the Spanish Flu in 1920.  This was a resurgence of the 1918 flu that killed so many in 1918 or so.
They are buried in Belfast City Cemetery: Glenalina, G133
I have a photo of their headstone ...