Author Topic: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's  (Read 2895 times)

belfastsunshine

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
I grew up in Taughmonagh Estate and it was really great fun :) , lots of people thought because we lived in Aluminum Bungalows we were rough people and turned their noses up at us :( I am proud to come from Taughmonagh we could have left our doors unlocked without problems and went in and out of each others homes to play. I remember we all had big familes in Taughmonagh just a few of the names I remember, The Thompsons, Meehans, Forsythes, Lights,Wrights, Cahoons, Mackins, Matchetts, and of course us Carlisles with 6 girls and 3 boys. Playing kick the tin, piggy back fights, hide and seek, 2 ball, skipping, and many more games that dont come to mind at the minute :D but didnt cost any money and was great fun. Any one who remembers the good old days in Taughmonagh feel free to contact me. xx

eros

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7801
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
welcome to the Belfast forum, I didn't live there, but I worked in the butchers shop good old days plenty of young girls for a teenager like myself :D Eros
my boss was owed a lot of money from the "snobs" and he asked the manager (jimmy) how could he get it back so jimmy and mysels got all the information of how much money each person/house owed  so we put the invoice into an envelope but we put the neighbours address on it we got back about 90% we figured the other 10% were either does or left the area but it was a success
you see when each person got the bill but the wrong address they thought they must have got mine by mistake so they paid up,  cleaver or what ! Eros
Lest we Forget

davyb

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 109
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Hi sunshine i was from Taughmonagh lived at 4 Finch Grove Davy Butler moved away in 69 but remember all the names you mentioned,if you look through the forums you will find more info on the old place and welcome aboard
 

olelad

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1935
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
sure there was a guy called mcmullen ? who came from early 70s

mastermagrath

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 73
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »
hi belfastsunshine , i married another tintown girl she was one of the eve twins , im sure you know them , like yourselves there was six sisters and three brothers , no tvs then or something in the water, she talks of great days in summer up in barnetts or just playing rounders in the street when the whole family would be out playing( like the bloody waltons), all before games consols and laptops, hours of fun playing cribby, they moved into a brick house around 1981, must have been near the last phase of redevelopement, she was wondering which carlisle you were, and she knows all the other family names mentioned, still has two sisters , father and brother in taughy. welcome to forum , good craic for wet days
no-one is born racist , homophobic , transphobic or prejudice

Millarb

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
Hi I went with a girl called Anne McNaught and knew all the names you said
I lived there through some sad times when friends were taken to early 
I went back a while ago and it has changed no more tin houses

william60485

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
Can anyone help me. I am looking for a picture if the Taughmonagh Presp Church in t he early 60
Billy Hoey

davyb

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 109

Tonyho

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
Re: Anyone from Taughmonagh Estate in the 60's and 70's
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 02:35:20 AM »
I knew a Billy Thomson who was married to my niece Janet in Tin Town in the late 60's - early 70's

davyb

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 109