Author Topic: Glandore Nursing Home, Antrim Road, Belfast  (Read 1074 times)

Redwood

Glandore Nursing Home, Antrim Road, Belfast
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Glandore Nursing Home, 349 Antrim Road, Belfast? I was born there on 31st May 1965 and can't find any information about the place. Any help would be most appreciated.

stickyra

Re: Glandore Nursing Home, Antrim Road, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
Sorry, Redwood, I lived in Glandore for thirty years from 1970 but dont remember the home at all.  It obviously closed prior to 1970.  Will ask my brother to check out the address
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Redwood

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
It was situated at 539 Antrim Road, right beside what is now Fortwilliam Post Office and was definitely operating as a nursing home in 1965, although a nursing home back then was for newborn babies and their mothers.

stickyra

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
I know the exact building you refer to.  Fortwilliam Post Office is now located at 537 Antrim Road, which was the McManus family home in those days.  I was a regular visitor to the McManus house.  I think next door was a private residence by the 70s.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

koneill

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »
Any other info on the place ?
Kieran

koneill

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Glandore Nursing Home, 349 Antrim Road, Belfast? I was born there on 31st May 1965 and can't find any information about the place. Any help would be most appreciated.

did you find any info ?

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »
It opened in 1943:

I can see an unsuccessful planning application, mentioned in a 1967 news article, to convert if from a nursing home to offices, but in the event it seems to have been bought or leased by an antiquarian book seller called John Gamble.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.