Author Topic: Fane Street School in the early 50s  (Read 5106 times)

grannyspice

Fane Street School in the early 50s
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Found this pic of Fane Street boys. My husband is in this. Anyone else out there?

RabRow

Re: Fane Street School in the early 50s
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
Passed by Fane St school a few weeks ago. Never went to it but knew a few who did. Think Ruby Murray went to Faney

grannyspice

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »
Thought I'd 'bump this up' to see if anyone does recognise even one wee lad here  :)

Dawson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Grannyspice - It's a nice photo but not for us 'Kelvinites'

muckles

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Hi Grannyspice:
Do you know any of the guys names?
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

Ringo

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
Brian Robb bottom row 1st left lived in Ebor Street

muckles

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:59 AM »
Is this Ringo, that used to run around with Alan Patterson?

Ringo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
Hi Muckles
There was a Robert Patterson who was in Tippys class in Fane street. I am the Ringo you met up with the last time you were home if I have got your name right Earl. The person in the photo Brian is a retired fireman living in Lisburn area.

muckles

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
Yeah"

That's me Bobby.  How are you keeping? Have you retired?  I tried emailing you at your work email but it always came back.  I did another meet with Billy and George a few years ago.  Last time I was at home was for my wife's mothers funeral. 

Ringo

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Hi Earl
I haven't retired yet. Self employed no one else would employ me. Looking back the sixties was a great decade to live through. Not so sure about being in your sixties. I was thinking about you the other night. I turned up an old Alan Ladd movie on you tube. It was shot mainly on location near Lake Pieto. I have been there and also visited Lake Louise. Canada is terrific  to vist. Hope you are keeping well. Never thought all those years ago we would ever travel that far for a holiday. What age did you go to Fane street at? Do you remember Mr Gourley.

muckles

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
YES Bobby, you are correct.  Canada is a beautiful country, but so is Ireland.  We haven't been to western Canada. Not surprisingly.  The only time we go near the city and especially the C.N. Tower is when someone visits from home. Have been to the east coast and most of the states in the U.S. mostly on vacations.  I went to Fane Street between 57 and 60.

Ringo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi Earl
go to you tube type in Lake Peyto or Bannf National Park.
you will look in awe. The first time I seen it my jaw dropped open.
similar effect when I first saw the Alps. Jasper is also nice.
But would I want to live there.
Fane Street School  I was in Mr Bob Gourley's class it was then 4th Standard. The following year I was in Barney Moorhead's then in Mr Bones. He was renowned for throwig the chalk at you. He had a massive head of hair that was swept back when he bent forward it covered his face. His temper was short he ruled by fear. I left in 1958. Then went to Ballygomartin then on to Kelvin left in 1960 at 15 years of age. Worked in Musgrave & Co  on the Albertbridge Road for the next five years. Mr Gourley was superb he would take the class out to the play ground and teach us how to kick a rugby ball from one end of the playground to the other. Then the cricket season would start that meant rounders and cricket in the playground. There was another teacher Mr Maitland or am I confused.
will talk again. Bob

muckles

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:35:28 AM »
Hi Bob"

Same feeling when I saw Confederation Bridge, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Pacific coast Highway and other sights that a wee lad from Belfast only dreamed about when he was a kid and saw all those things in the movies.

I don't remember Mr. Gourley but I remember Barney Moorhead, taught woodworking if I'm correct. Mr. Bones not only threw chalk at you, he would also throw a duster or any thing he laid his hands on.  I remember Mr. Cochrane, English, math and geography.  Mr. Mercer, science.  Mrs. Pollock, religion.  Mr. Thompson, art and Mr. McBride who became headmaster after Mr. Campbell.

Keep in touch.

Morton McDonald

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »
Archie McBride was a very dedicated teacher know that because I was in his class and because I played rugger for him he had to be dedicated to put up with me and my pranks he never found out that I was the one who peeded in his wellington boots up at the rugger field near the lagan

sonnyboy

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
I have just heard of the death of my old friend big Davy Galway past pupil and resident of Fane Street