Author Topic: 2nd BB and Old Boys Broadway Presbyterian  (Read 4589 times)

Nick Keene

Re: 2nd BB and Old Boys Broadway Presbyterian
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »
Hello Nick. My hubby is interested to know your family name. Is Keene your Dad's brothers' family surname? We are still in contact with a few members of the BB and Broadway Church and will mention to them at the weekend.

Please ask if anyone may recognise this young man taken with his new bride around 1940 - 1943 on their wedding day and the picture of the other gentleman, his brother taken possibly 1950's, both residents along with their family lived in Thames Street, Belfast, thank you.

Bigali

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
Sorry can't help but I have to say that is one good looking bride  ;)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Nick Keene

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »

Yes a beautiful lady who brought an awful lot of joy and happiness to us all and only departed this life 2 years ago at 96 yrs of age, thank you for your kind comment.

Nick Keene

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:55 AM »
Hers another couple of pics of men, once residents of Thames St who were also members of 2nd BB in Broadway Pres Church, anyone recognise, and the lady between the two men who was a sister.       

LONE RANGER

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
         Hello Nick I stayed on this site for a long time waiting for some contact but nothing and now along comes great photo`s , sorry to say they were before my time never the less its great to hear from people from the Broadway Area especially Thames Street I lived there from !952 - 1968 went to the 2nd Life Boys never got to join the BB with all the troubles we had to get out , I knew The Dawson`s of Thames Street , The Baxter`s , Billy Irvine , Louie Smith , The Gardener`s , The Todd`s ,The Wirery`s , The Aiken`s , The Keen`s or King`s , The Conway`s , The Stevenson`s , The Creighton`s , Irwell Street The Gibney`s , The Hall`s , The Curry`s who were connected to The Curry`s of Broadway at the Fall`s Road end , The Cleland`s , the Morgen`s , The Gardner`s , Just a few from Breamar Street , The Wallwyn`s , The Cleland`s , The Kerr`s , The Montgomery`s , In Broadway The Waterworth`s , The Curry`s , The Rankin`s , There are plenty I have forgotten from both the divide`s I will be 70 soon so the age bracket maybe a might to young or even to high . Merry Xmas And A Happy And Peaceful 2017 .     

LONE RANGER

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »
Amongst the names mentioned in these photos were Flash King and Alex Todd, as I was related to both and pics are before my day lol, can someone please point them out on the pics here, thank you all.
           Flash King was the goal keeper and Willie Walwyn from Breamar Street is standing next to Alex Todd the rest are so young to identify .

Davy Taylor

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
Hi, with regard to the fotos of the football team members in the 4th picture it would be best to get Jim Baxter to do the honours with the names--I can say which ones I know & they are as follows:-
Bill McKeown, Roy Thompson ( just recently deceased), Billie King (dec.), Willie Walwyn, Norman Todd, Stanley Baxter, the bottom row is :-Jackie Williamson from Benburb St.,  Fred Curry, Donald Ross, the rest I'm not sure about but if that helps anyone then good.
Cheers
David Taylor
Lecale Street.

cookstown

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Just another wee bit of Broadway Church history.  I played in the 46th Old Boys Silver Band back in the 1950's.  On the 12th July
for a few years we took Broadway Church Lodge to the Field at Finaghy.  The band formed up in Richview Street, marched up to
the Church on the 12th morning where we had tea and something to eat.  Then band and Lodge marched down to Sandy Row to
join up with the district before marching off to Carlisle Circus.  The return was the same route in reverse.  On one of the Sundays
before the 12th there was a sandy row district parade to the Church which was the only time Orangemen walked on the falls road.
How times have changed.  Another district parade also went to the Drew Memorial church on the Grosvenor Road.

Regards Cookstown

Dawson

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
I believe the Parade to the Drew Memorial was held on the Sunday before the 12th.

cookstown

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
you could well be right and I certainly wouldn't argue with that.  The lodge was called Broadway Total Abstinence. I don't remember their Lodge Number.

Regards Cookstown

heresjohnny22755

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 11:38:58 AM »
Does anybody remember John Bell. I left in 1967.
John Bell