Author Topic: General grave grants at Milltown Cemetery.  (Read 1740 times)

rathlin

General grave grants at Milltown Cemetery.
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
On doing more research into my family tree I obtained this lease (Notice of grant) for for a grave for a person with my surname.  It is dated 23 june 1873.  It clearly states that the grave lasts as long as Milltown Cemetery is used as a cemetery.  I went to Milltown cemetery a few weeks ago and I asked as to how long the lease lasts on this grave.  I was informed that the lease was for 99 years.  I then produced the form of grant and stated that the information as to 99 years is not correct.  The fact is that there area three time periods for grants in Milltown Cemetery.  Early ones, like the one that I produced is as stated on the form of grant.  In the 1970's they were reduced to 75 years and in 2010 they were again changed to 99 years again.  I have full permission from the owner of the grant to use it.

Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

hicky

Re: General grave grants at Milltown Cemetery.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
  Must say found this very interesting, I hold a few leases in different names within my family worth taken a look at

matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:48 AM »
Yes thats seems to be there rule another is if the lease is not used or claimed in a 70 year period then the lease is viod i found a lease in my mums home about 8 years ago it was from around 1860 i registerd my name the last buriel there was 1934 so i was on the deadline the lease belonged to a pawnbroker my grandfather worked for the pawnbroker several of his customers are buried there sadly my mum passed in 2009 my dad in 2011 they are laid to rest in the pawnbrokers gravei i remember my grandmother telling me  the story of the pawnbroker who was a very holy man was buried in him sunday bestso now with him rest my parents

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
matrix, your story is so sad.  Just proves how long this lot have been at this game!  Shame on them all.  hick, did you get any further with yours?

rathlin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
Matrix, Milltown Cemetery opened in 1868 and if your grant was from then the grant would of had ended in 1938.  I was wondering do you have or see the original grant.  The lady who owns the grant, that I reproduced, went to get the grant information on another grave a number of years ago.  She was informed that it was due for renewal and that it would cost 350.  The lady withdrew her savings from the credit union.  The next day she went to Milltown Cemetery and a different man was in the office.  He told her not to give the money and no reason was given. 

I would suggest the when anyone going to Milltown Cemetery inquiring about a grant for a grave that the evidence of the original grant should be produced for the person inquiring about the grants renewal.  A listing of who is buried in the grave should also be given.  This is to assure that the grave contains the correct number of persons buried in it.

I would also ask that anyone who has a grant renewed to check that the grant has the Bishops signature and seal of office on the grant.

Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
Hi rathlin now sure how it works with deeds in milltown i remember i paid money to transfer the deed in to my name in 2004, they said then if the grave was not used in a seventy year period they could reclaim it thats there rule i believe the grave before my parents died was last reopened 1934 so that was on the 70 year mark so i able to transfer over to my name for a fee must double checkvthe deed rathlin i understandcits around 3000 for a lease there now they have recently sold a few plot there i was told

gerald mc mullan

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
i would like to know does this rule of 77 yrs apply to the bishops and cardnels at the  posh end of the cemetary. no doubt that cost them nothing, it seems that money is the catholic religon real God .