Author Topic: Great War Belfast Newspaper Clippings Collection  (Read 32908 times)

hen190782

Great War Belfast Newspaper Clippings Collection
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
 I have been trawling through the local Belfast newspapers and I have now put together a website in which I provide lists of the various articles and pictures that I have in my Newspaper Archive - www.greatwarbelfastclippings.com

I am happy to share the catch from my trawls and happy to answer any questions about the articles.

You can contact me through the email address on the website.

Servicemen Pictures

The section contains a list of 10,200+ individual pictures - the list specified the JPEG filenames and contains the following information:
 Surname, Forename/Initials, Rank, Service, Address, Reason

The details in the Reason segment relate to why the picture appeared at the time - so, if a man is recorded as Wounded it does not mean that he did not subsequently die.

Unfortunately, I did not record the date in which the picture appeared in the newspaper.

Whilst the majority of the men are from Irish regiments, there are men from English, Scottish and Welsh regiments as well as men from service regiments (Artillery, Engineers, RAMC, ASC, etc.).

If you want to identify men from a particular service/regiment or Belfast/Town/County, you can copy and paste the list into a notepad file and save with the extension .csv, then you will be able to open the list in Excel and filter on elements of the filename - alternatively, you can contact me with details and I can provide a breakdown.

Nigel

Re: Great War Belfast Newspaper Clippings Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Nigel,  WHAT A STAR  ... just what we needed, thank you. I'm sure many will find this most helpful

magsgr

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:59:03 PM »
Hi Nigel, what a brilliant idea.  I had a look at the site and it looks fantastic.  How do we get to see the pictures?  I seen a few names that may be of interest but there doesnt seen to be a way of seeing the pictures.  Its the brothers in arms section. There's a family that may or may not be related but I cant see the christian names to be sure.   Mags

hen190782

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Mags

With over 10,200 servicemen pictures it was not feasible to upload them to photobucket (or a similar storage area).

Basically, each item in any of the lists reflects the filename in the Newspaper Archive on my computer.

If you copy the description of the item(s) that interests you into an email (using the email address on the website homepage), I will email the image to you.

Alternatively, if you specify the description on the forum, I could provide details from the caption to the newspaper photograph.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

hen190782

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »
Should also have said that I have downloaded the BNL's "Ulster & The War" columns from November 1914 to August 1919 and am happy to provide copies - either in person or on disc.

Nigel

magsgr

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Thanks Nigel.   My gr greatfather was called Joshua Beattie and I don't have a picture of him at all.   He was wounded in Gallipoli and in France and luckily survived the war but died before I was born.   You have Beattie brothers in the brothers in arms section from the area that they lived and I was hoping that it may have been him and one or two of his brothers.    Thanks for you help, Mags

hen190782

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Mags

The Beattie Brothers (Palmer Street) features:
Corporal Herbert Beattie (Royal Irish Rifles)
Private Samuel Beattie (Royal Army Medical Corps)
Corporal Robert Beattie (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers)
Private Henry Beattie - father to above three.

Sorry, no Joshua Beattie

Nigel

snaggle

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »
Hi Nigel

What a fantastic site  :) 
My great uncle David Magee RN is mentioned on the servicemen's list and I've sent you an email in the hope you have a picture for him.  We've already got his RN records, so any further info you have from the newspapers would be fantastic.

Harrowing to see how many deaths there were from his street alone....

magsgr

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »
Thanks so much Nigel.  I am so disappointed.  I had hoped at long last I would actually get to see a picture of him.  I'm not giving up hope yet, there could be one of him somewhere.  Just have to keep looking.   Thanks again, Mags

hen190782

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
Mags

Are you on Ancestry?

If so, there is a Pension Record for a Joshua Beattie (Royal Irish Rifles, S/N 10719)
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1114&path=B.Be.Bea.18835&sid=&gskw=Joshua+Beattie

It specifies woundings at Gallipoli (11/05/1915) and France (26/04/1916).  Next of Kin recorded as his wife Elizabeth (nee Tumelty) with address at 12 Wellwynne Street, Shankill Road.

If you are not on Ancestry, let me know and I will download the pages for you.

Regards

Nigel

magsgr

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
Hi Nigel, yeah thats my gr grandfather.  I got that information from ancestry.  It was all very exciting.  I just wish I had a picture.  Thanks for looking that up for me anyway, it was kind of you.   Mags

hen190782

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
Mag

No problem, only sorry I could not turn up a picture of Joshua.

Nigel

geri_hill

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
Today is Canadian Thanksgiving and I am so very thankful for this website and Nigel.  I emailed him in hopes of getting copies of pictures of my relatives who passed in WW1
I received said pictures within a few hours. Amazing!  I got shivers looking at them, especially my great-grandfather.  My great Aunt had told me stories, but she was very young when he passed.
Thank you so much Nigel! hugssssssssss from Canada

hen190782

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
Geri

Thanks and glad you are pleased with the pictures ... apologies that some are poorer quality as they were photographs from microfilm.  It always gives me a buzz when I can provide a photo for a family member.

Nigel

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
Thank you again Nigel.  I am thrilled to have my uncles' photographs.
RosemaryJoan
As ye sow, so shall ye reap