Author Topic: BILLY McCRAKEN  (Read 2537 times)

reg fletcher

BILLY McCRAKEN
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
good evening, i dint know if any of members can help me .i have been trying to trace  the family of BILLY McCracken ( the footballer).i know he left BELFAST around 1904  to play for NEWCASTLE UNT, i think the family home was around TENNENT ST ? IN BELFAST he may have worked in one of the local mills ,maybe some of your older members will have some information about him. this is my first time on your forum so please forgive me for my lack of details, thanks for your time

reg/merseyside

stewie

Re: BILLY McCRAKEN
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi reg i know who your talking about,dont have any info on billy myself ::) but a guy i know is the oracle when it comes to these things O0 if he was from tennent street he will know him O0 problem is he,s on holiday for two week,s >:( if nobody replies i will speak to him when he gets back O0

reg fletcher

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »
hello stewie, thanks for your quick reply i have been looking for information for around 7/8 years,it only took you 1 hour, hope  to hear from you soon.

reg

stewie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »
hello stewie, thanks for your quick reply i have been looking for information for around 7/8 years,it only took you 1 hour, hope  to hear from you soon.

reg
O0 no probs reg O0 will start asking about in the next couple of days,im sure there is folk around here that know the family O0 but if not  :-[ my mate is sure to know when he gets back :) cheers

stewie

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »

reg
oh reg forgot to mention :idiot2: watch out for Hendy on here he knows a lot about the shankill area O0

Pastor Joe

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »
OK I may be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs but...

You need to find someone in Belfast to go to the Central Library and ask to look at the Kellies Directory for a couple years before he left. Look at Tennament St and see if he's listed there. If so, you're on a winner. Now move forward a year and see if he's still listed. And so on untill he dissappears. Then look up his name in the oter part of the directory and find out if he's moved within Belfast. You'll get the names of others living in the house as well.

Now this is not sectarian in any way but... If he was Protistant the local Orange Order may well be able to help, I've had an adopted friend find his birth mother this way.

Hope this helps.
I work to dance I don't dance to work.

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/countrymusic

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »
The Belfast and Province of Ulster Directories published by James Alexander Henderson or the Belfast Newsletter would be better than Kelly's Directories (They're better known as a Trade Directory). The Irish and Local Studies of each of the five Educational and Library Boards have a reasonably good collection of the directories so as well as the Central Library there's a collection in Armagh, Ballymena, Ballynahinch and Omagh. Don't forget that the Linenhall Library and the Public Records Office also hold collections of the directories. You could also send a message to Mary Lennon's Lookups website. There's no sign of a McCracken of Tennent Street in the 1901 or 1911 Census on www.belfastfamilyhistory.com

The following streets ran off Tennent Street ... Riga Street, Matchett Street, Ambleside Street, Sydney Street West, Danube Street and Langley Street on one side and Upper Riga Street, Eccles Street, Bootle Street, Madras Street, Bromley Street, Sydney Street West and Edenderry Street on the other side.

David McCracken and Nellie McCracken, 103, Tennent Street signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912.  

Alex McCracken and Samuel McCracken, 22, Matchett Street also signed the Covenant   

Christopher 

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
Sorry about that rude interruption   the ten minute rule doesn't apply on sites such as Irish Genealogy on the NET or Rootschat ... it's only Belfast Forum that has peculiar rules

Margaret McCracken, 52, Danube Street is another one who signed. I've only checked three streets. 

It would be as well to check the card index files in the Belfast, Ulster and Local Studies section of the Library as there may be cuttings about Billy McCracken. Then there may also be articles about him in old local newspapers.

rattler101

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
 ;) is he any relation to phil? :-\

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »
Hi Reg,

You won't find Billy in the street directories around 1904. He was born in Belfast on January 29th, 1883 and as you say was playing for Newcastle from 1904. He'd not have been a head of household prior to leaving Belfast. There'd be no harm posting on Newcastle Forum   Do you know his precise date of death ... Wikipedia only says 1979 ... and where he lived at the time of his death ? Death notices in the local newspaper for that town and notices in Belfast papers may give more information.

If you haven't already done so send a message to the Editor of the Belfast Telegraph. The email address is [email protected] I understand the readers of the Tele provide helpful information to such queries.

Christopher

reg fletcher

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:36:30 PM »
hello Cris, thanks for all your digging, i have in the past been intouch with NEWCASTLE F.C. to see if they had any contact numbers or addresses but they had no info on him apart from the general football stuff but they did put me in touch with PAT JENNINGS who played for SPURS, i did manage to talk to him, he said he knew of BILLY and that he may have some info on the family, but that was a few years ago now he never did get back to me. i have also been in touch with MALCOM BRODIE the sports writer of the tele well i got as far as his assistant who i gave all the details about BILLY but never got a reply. i have in the past spoken to people connected to DISTILLARY F.C. which was one of the clubs he played for, they intern passed me on to N.I.FA who where very little help at all.it looks like i will have to keep on looking i may have given you the wrong name of the street i said it was TENNENT ST but it may have been TENNYSON ST  i know it was in a area where there where MILLS, i dont know in which area you live in Cris but i have been told in the passed that there is an  old guy in his 90 who sits at the bar in the N.I. supporters club on the shankhill who may have known the family but it may be an other wild goose chase, can i thank you for all the help you have been also pass on my thanks to some of your other members STEWIE//JOETHEBLOW and all who helped

reg

stewie

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:49:10 PM »
hello Cris, thanks for all your digging, i have in the past been intouch with NEWCASTLE F.C. to see if they had any contact numbers or addresses but they had no info on him apart from the general football stuff but they did put me in touch with PAT JENNINGS who played for SPURS, i did manage to talk to him, he said he knew of BILLY and that he may have some info on the family, but that was a few years ago now he never did get back to me. i have also been in touch with MALCOM BRODIE the sports writer of the tele well i got as far as his assistant who i gave all the details about BILLY but never got a reply. i have in the past spoken to people connected to DISTILLARY F.C. which was one of the clubs he played for, they intern passed me on to N.I.FA who where very little help at all.it looks like i will have to keep on looking i may have given you the wrong name of the street i said it was TENNENT ST but it may have been TENNYSON ST  i know it was in a area where there where MILLS, i dont know in which area you live in Cris but i have been told in the passed that there is an  old guy in his 90 who sits at the bar in the N.I. supporters club on the shankhill who may have known the family but it may be an other wild goose chase, can i thank you for all the help you have been also pass on my thanks to some of your other members STEWIE//JOETHEBLOW and all who helped

reg
Hi Reg still not spoken to my mate about Billy yet :-[but you will be first to know when i do O0i think you where right with Tennet st reg ive heard of him about this area :)i noticed you said about an old guy in the NI supporters club on the shankill,give them a ring reg and ask for jason croft the bar manager good bloke :)tell him your problem and im sure he will ask in the bar O0 decent bunch in there :)

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Reg,

Have you thought of trying Alan Green?

He's a Belfast lad who commentates on BBC Radio Five Live these days. There's an email address in the link.

Christopher

jemmy hope

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
As an aside to the story, we had a lady who live on Linview St. on the Grosvenor Rd. Her name was Bella McCraken. She had a picture of Billy on her wall. I think she may have been his sister. She died in the 50's.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

ulsterstan

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »
  I   think  there's a photo and info.   on Billy McCracken      in Malcolm Brodie,s  100   years of   Irish football   ,a friend passed this info. on  so worth a check .
Stan Sloan.