Author Topic: EMBARRASED TO COME FROM BELFAST  (Read 46293 times)

James James

Re: EMBARRASED TO COME FROM BELFAST
« Reply #495 on: May 02, 2019, 11:43:54 PM »

Interesting and articulate series of recent posts above.

https://www.reddit.com/r/england/comments/85p7z8/what_do_people_in_england_really_think_of_people/

"Posted byu/Ailidh0309 1 year ago"

"What do people in England really think of people from Northern Ireland ?"

"I'm genuinely really interested to know this. I know not all of us over here in Northern Ireland are the same, and not everyone over in England is the same, but I would like to hear opinions you have heard, how you've grown up seeing us, and what opinions you have formed yourselves.
Do you think we should remain as part of the UK or would you rather see us leave and join the republic? And why ?
What are your views on the troubles here ?
And what do you think of Northern Ireland and Brexit? Has it caused any bitterness towards Northern Irish people who mostly wanted to remain in the UK? Do English people feel less like they can relate to us ?
Is it true you all think we're friendly and helpful ? Because I don't know why lol.
Does everyone think we're thick despite us being the smartest region of the UK? I know this is a stereotype but I was wondering if many people believe it.
Do people like the accent or hate it ?
And just everything, really.
You can say what you want. I have a thick skin, a good sense of humour, and I'm just genuinely interested (: "

19 reply comments posted.

Billy Fish

« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
Belfast is embarrassing to come from when you hear some of the views expressed, by 'some'. Lol  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Bigali

« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
The bricks they may bleed
and the rain it may weep
And the damp Lagan fog lulls
the city to sleep
It's to Hell with the future
we'll live in the past ,
May the Lord in his mercy be
kind to Belfast."
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Blake

« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
Belfast is embarrassing to come from when you hear some of the views expressed, by 'some'. Lol  :D
nope. People everywhere have a range of views, some always seem shameful and embarrassing, butís its no different in any other city, uk or elsewhere. Reporters have a knack for finding these people, but Iíve never worked with or gotten to know any group included fringe people . Belfast is pretty famous and I think most people find people from there friendly. In the USA at least theyíre always regarded as Irish. Thatís it a political point, just a fact of life. And most people tend to be positive about the Irish.
artist formerly known as "that wee man from West Belfast"

jimmy hill

« Reply #499 on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
before the troubles started I worked in EWARTS MILL with people from all over the Crumlin road I worked with people with a different religion I would go to a pub on a Friday for a couple of pints it did not matter what religion you were we were having a good time religion was never brought up it was good fun so why cant  people get to gather the way it was then I know the politics have people separated people they were the days for get the politics and get on with your lives

tours

« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2019, 02:48:30 AM »
nope. People everywhere have a range of views, some always seem shameful and embarrassing, butís its no different in any other city, uk or elsewhere. Reporters have a knack for finding these people, but Iíve never worked with or gotten to know any group included fringe people . Belfast is pretty famous and I think most people find people from there friendly. In the USA at least theyíre always regarded as Irish. Thatís it a political point, just a fact of life. And most people tend to be positive about the Irish.
Most positive people, like the Irish, find people respond well to them.
The Protestant 'work ethic' lost a bit of soul, somewhere. Yet was industrialist, and business savy.
I suppose that's where Empires came from.
The British did spread their tentacles.
You got to admire them... Just a little bit.

Billy Fish

« Reply #501 on: June 21, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »
The Protestant 'work ethic' lost a bit of soul, somewhere. Yet was industrialist, and business savy.

???
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

derdrei

« Reply #502 on: June 22, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
never felt that way leaving Belfast I am proud to have been born and bred there. ;)

Billy Fish

« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »

Blimey, finally a truthful statement.  :D
Support Soldier F