Author Topic: Remembering those who died in Wars  (Read 1682 times)

Christopher

Remembering those who died in Wars
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:56:42 AM »
Well today is a big day in the calendar in this part of the world. It's the Twelfth of July, a day which Orangemen celebrate but which many Protestants and their Catholic friends and neighbours feel should be put to rest after so many years. Like a lot of wars through the centuries God was caring for the lives of those men who fought against each other. I'm sure God is utterly bewildered at the antics of those who put on their bowler hats and their Sunday suits and then proceed to walk for miles on a hot summer's day. There's nothing wrong celebrating Battles but lets make it a Battle everyone can celebrate. Bring out good bands and musicians who can play instruments . . tell those guys who blatter senseless noises on their drums to go home to practice (unless they are Lambeg drummers). Start celebrating Battles that might bring us all together and forget about the ones that part us. Other nations throughout the world are moving forward whilst we are still stuck in the seventeenth century. Lets have a celebration for the lives of our ancestors who fought in the Battle of the Somme. Put away national emblems and bring out regimental flags. If anyone should be burnt on bonfires then burn effigies of the Generals who made bad decisions and allowed your ancestors to go over the top and be slaughtered. Please shake hands . . make your peace and share your sorrows. Forget the seventeenth century and at least move into the twentieth century if you cannot manage to move as far as the twenty first century.   

BLOOMFIELD

Re: Remembering those who died in Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:06:22 AM »
Christopher

Well said.

It is time for a new start, and integration all round.
TRUTH, is in the eyes of the beholder, but it's a pity that some have Cataracts

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »
Thanks Bloomfield. Here's a reply from my sister.

Well done! 
A thing that has always puzzled/amused me is that Uncle Jack marched - a churchman and a man of God - and saw nothing strange in that.
Over here there are groups who re-enact battles between Cavaliers and Roundheads.  And one of our neighbours, a keen horseman, goes over to France/Belgium to re-enact some First World War battles.
There's nought so queer as folks!!
B.

Her Uncle Jack was not an Uncle ... He was her Godfather and a Canon in the Church of Ireland .. St Thomas's on the Lisburn Road.

giannineo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:10:48 PM »
Brave post Christopher and I agree.The Somme is indeed worthy of remembrance.My Grand uncle fought there with the Old Contemptibles of the 36th Ulster Division.He came from Canada for many years each summer to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph at the City Hall.I always remember a clicking noise when he ate.This was a bullet lodged in his jaw and received at the Somme.A bead of perspiration ran down his cheek from the point where the bullet was lodged.
                             Without entering the world of Ulster politics,I agree that we should move on from a battle between two foreign monarchs over 300 years ago.
      A few years back,the Scots remembered the 250th.anniversary of the  battle of Culloden with a dignified ceremony at the battlefield,and that sufficed.
            The Somme involved Ulstermen from a lot of different backgrounds and was fought with the interest of all Ulstermen.
                  Respect each other and assure the future,G.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 04:31:10 PM »
On the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ended. Every year since 1921 the British Legion have had a Poppy Day (originally called Armistace Day) and a Poppy Appeal to help ex-service men, women and their families in their hour of need. Every year on 11th November at 11.00am a two minute silence is observed to remember those who gave their lives for their country.

The Belfast Cenotaph was unveiled by Viscount Allenby as a memorial to those who died in Wars on the 11th November 1929 at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year after
the Armistice. The Last Post is played at the wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph. A Daily Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate memorial in Ypres, Belgium.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We Will Remember Them.

brian

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »
There is a new webiste for Belfast men and womwn who died in WW1. Journey of Remembering.
http://212.69.249.249/index.htm

anne

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »
I find this a very sad time of the year. My grandfather fought in the 1st WW and was in the Seaforth Highlanders and died after he contacted TB in the trenches. My dad served in the second WW and was a dispatch rider. He had many a tale to tell. Many good men both Catholic and Protestant fought and died together. They were comrades fighting for the same side. So in memory of all those who lost their lives I Wear MY Poppy With Pride.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 11:25:59 PM »
Anne, many good men fought and died together.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

dureti

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 09:42:31 PM »
yea, this is a very sad time of year, im gald Christopher you made, this thread.
I respect those, people who fought in the war!