Author Topic: st.patricks school donegall st.  (Read 10838 times)

peejay

st.patricks school donegall st.
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:38:17 AM »
did anyone go to st. patricks school donegall st. 1950-1954

moondog2

Re: st.patricks school donegall st.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
went to  cbs donegall st

John Corbett

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
I went to St. Pats CBS Donegall St. from around 1949 to 1955 and then to St. Mary's CBS Barrack St.
I remember Bro. Beirne being headmaster at St. Pats, also Bro. Sullivan who tok me for the eleven plus. There was also a Bro. Leonard and Miss/Mrs. Mc Eldowney who taught me in "babies".
Sands

peejay

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
i went to st.malacays school at the bottom of the new lodge road it was a primary school,i left and went to st.patricks secondry school donegall st.from 1951-1954 the school leaving age was 14 then,the head master was mr.donelly who enjoyed using the leather strap he carried about with him,the girls school was seperated from the boys by a high wall billy reid was the only one i knew to scale it.

jimmymack

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:49:26 AM »
Barney

Only the best went there!!!!! John, I think I remember you from St. Pats

boxer1949

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »
ST PATRICKS DONEGALL ST 1952

mrsh

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
ST PATRICKS DONEGALL ST 1952
hi boxer can you add any names to this photo.
Show me the man who does not love the land where he was born

boxer1949

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »
hi boxer can you add any names to this photo.
Only one Big John Hickey from Regent St he died last Feb

delane

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
Here is my father in 52..in the front row..& my cousin..in the middle...jackie & patrick..i will ask if they can add a list,of the school mates in this photo..can you name anymore..??.. regards..delane..
the older you get the worse you get..

peejay

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
i think the first photo is possibly 1952,but the second photo is more than likley 1951 ,the teacher is the same.jackie delaney and mardo morrison in the front row patrick sharkey and mcvicker in the middle row francis mcaloram in the back row in the 1951 photo,has anyone got other names

Preshaw

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
did anyone go to st. patricks school donegall st. 1950-1954

Hi My dad eddie preshaw went to St Patricks,  so did his brother and sister Cora and Joe Mcdonald not sure if you know them they lived in Cranbrook Gardens

haonghusa

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »
John, you were in my class at Donegall St CB. I wasn't very fond of McEldowney, she slapped me with the leather on my first day. Loved Miss McKernan in senior infants and then came Gerry Sadlier who kicked us all round the room. Then there was Bro Comerford, I believe, followed by the lovely Dickie McGrain in Form 3 and Bradley in Form 4, another decent teacher. Finally there was the great brute himself, John Sullivan. How we hated Monday mornings when he corrected the practice 11 plus papers. You must rember this photo Where are you? Can you name many of the others? When I show this photo to friends they can't believe we were an all boys school. Do you have the 11 plus qualifiers photo? You definitely feature in that. If not I can post a copy later.

mikemac

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »
Hi Haonghusa,

I remember this photograph taken in the grounds of Clifton House. Some names I remember include, Gibney, Mc Cann, Duffy, McVicker, and Kearney. It's great to see so many faces that I recognise but sadly the names elude me.

haonghusa

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
I know most of the names in this photo, Mikemac, if there are particular faces you want to identify. I would love to know however who the three pigs and three kittens were.

mikemac

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
Hi haonghusa,

Unfortunately, I cannot help you in identifying the piggys or the mice. Maybe you can confirm the following:-

Boy on horse with top hat at extreme right of the image is Duffy (christian name?) Next to him in the second row is Gibney (christian name?)Next in line in front row is Michael Mc Vicker. The King in the centre is Paul Kearney.

Who is the boy at the opposite end front row with the kettle? Sixth in from left, front row with the large bonnet?  Also back row second in?  The grandmother in the back row directly behind the King?