Author Topic: st.patricks school donegall st.  (Read 10840 times)

Moondog40

Re: st.patricks school donegall st.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
I was one of 3 blind mice but Paul Malone  beside. Us should have been.  He was smaller

Moondog40

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »
I was one of the mice ,Paul Malone   Hughduffy jim Morrison. Eanonn mc cotter matt caravan. Liam jordan p white.    2mc cafferty Paul Kearney  ? Daley with kettle. Bill tierny.    And there's more

haonghusa

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
But Malone was good looking, Moondog. :D  Who were the other mice and three pigs?

Liam Barry, McCotter, Coyle, Liam Barr, Osborne, Canavan, Petesy White, ?, Hegarty, Jones, ?,?, Charlie McCann, Patsy Hannan, ?

?, Henry O'Neill,Liam Jordan, Billy O'Neill, McCaffrey twins, Kearney, Sean Maguire (King and Queen of Hearts), Denis McGrath, Seamus Beattie, Morrison, McKeating, Sean Mackle, Hennessy (bun boy -I repeat BUN- who met Simple Simon the pieman)

Jim Daly, John Torbitt, ?, 3 pigs, ?, Malone (the knave of hearts who stole the tarts), 3 blind mice (not the 3 little kittens that lost their mittens?), Liam Duff, Wallace, ?, Kevin Gibney (where is Sean his cousin?), Yankee Doodle Dandy Duffy (teacher's pet got the best part)

Maher (maybe), ?, ?, Brendan McKeown, Kennedy, ?, ?,?, ?, Joe McCrudden, ?, Ronnie ?, ?, ?, ?, McVicker

I can't see Michael McGiinity, Fergus McMullan, another McMullan, Brian McLaughlin, Gerry Savage - could be they had to have their faces hidden as well.

John Corbett

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
Unfortunately I was one of the three kittens! I remember Pat Mc Grath, from Ladbrooke Drive, Ardoyne, Paul Malone from Carrick Hill - Hugh Duffy, Ted Jones, John Daly, Eamonn Cotter, and I think Brendan Mc Keown Brilliant photo. I remember Bro. Beirne giving me a severe beating for mitching. Sullivan used to make us put our hands on the desk where he would examine our fingers for signs of nicotine - and if you had any - he would strap you across the knuckles with his strap! Happy Days? If you have the 11 Plus class photo I would love to see it. John C.
Sands

Moondog40

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
Nice to hear from u john.     Barney

haonghusa

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
I knew they were kittens and not mice. So two of them were Barney Mooney and John Corbett. Who was the third and who were the three little pigs? Sullivan also had an obsession with nail biting. Anyone with the habit had their nails painted with bitter aloes and if that didn't work, as was the case with poor Paul Malone, Sullivan made them suck a dummy in class. You got caught mitching, John! Wouldn't have believed it - always thought you were a goody-goody. Bet you it was a Monday morning when Sullivan corrected the practice test papers. Remember that, two whacks with the leather for every sum wrong. Some poor guys got 38 slaps. And they say school days are the happiest days of your life. Sullivan was a real bully, got the majority of the class through the 11 plus but at what cost. I'll post the 11 plus qualifiers photo in due course.

Joe

haonghusa

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Posting qualifying class of '55, John, as promised.

JC, Con Haughan, Charlie McCann, Brendan McKeown, ? McMullan, Kevin Gibney, Patsy Hannan, Uncus McLarnon

? Kennedy, John Daly, Brendan Devlin, Jim O'Hara, Gerry Savage, John McDonald, ? McMullan, Billy O'Neill, ? Kearney,
Liam Barr
Michael McGinnity, Dermot McKeating, Joe Hennessy, Brian McLaughlin, Robert McAuley, Barney Mooney, Ted Jones, Hugh Duffy

Missing from the lineup are Sean Gibney and Pat McGrath

mikemac

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
Great photographs haonghusa, __  brings back all sorts of memories! Now that we are all in/around 70 it makes me wonder where all the years have gone. Wouldn't it be interesting to know what we made of our lives?

Moondog40

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
thres  a few no longer with us, but will u post the  names as per rotation   barney

haonghusa

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »
Hi Mikemac. Haven't been on the site for some time now and have just seen your query re school photo. You are right about Hugh Duffy (RIP) the teacher's pet who got the plum role as always. John Daly was Polly put the kettle on. John Kennedy had the large bonnet. Kevin Gibney was next to Duffy and Eamonn McCotter 2nd in at back row.

John Corbett

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:23 PM »
Hi Joe. I didn't realise that Hugh Duffy had died (RIP). Do you know of others in that photo who have passed away? Our school photos were few and far between. I can only remember that one and the 11 Plus photo. (Only the Christian Brothers would have us infants dressed up with animal heads over our faces rendering us completely anonymous!)
Sands

haonghusa

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
Yes, John. Duffy has gone as has Liam Jordan, Jimmy Morrison, Sean Maguire and both McCaffrey twins. Don't know of any others.

Preshaw

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
I went to St. Pats CBS Donegall St. from around 1949 to 1955 and then to St. Mary's CBS Barrack St.
I remember Bro. Beirne being headmaster at St. Pats, also Bro. Sullivan who tok me for the eleven plus. There was also a Bro. Leonard and Miss/Mrs. Mc Eldowney who taught me in "babies".
[/quotemy dad Eddie preshaw went there around those dates so did his brother joe McDonald did you know him

boxer1949

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
Bigger photo anymore names