Author Topic: Peter Woods RIP anyone know this man?? 41 years ago  (Read 4708 times)

PaulineRooney

Peter Woods RIP anyone know this man?? 41 years ago
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
Does anyone out there remember a Peter Gerard Woods known as Gerry. He is pictured in the St Malachys Collegian 1950s. He ran THE WHITE LION pub on the corner of york road. He lived in Lowwood Park. He was followed home from the pub on the 08 Jan 1972 and was shot dead, apparently for the nights takings. Does anyone remember anything about him, the pub, or his family and friends. He was a good family friend of my grandad Tom Rocks. My mum has memories of getting of the train from greenisland and going to the white lion to wait on her dad, Gerry used to give my mum some money for sweets for her and her brothers and sisters, he would give them stew and a bottle of fizzy orange.

08 January 1972Peter Woods (29) Catholic
Publican, shot during armed robbery at his home, Lowwood Park, Skegoneill, Belfast.
[/font][/size]

maura

Re: Peter Woods RIP anyone know this man?? 41 years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
Pauline are you connected to the Rocks that used to live in the corner house between Harcourt Drive & Rosepenna

PaulineRooney

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
I am indeed   :)

maura

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
Which one of the girls is your mum?

PaulineRooney

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
Mary is my mummy (molly) :-) do you know them ?? xx

maura

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Yes I know them I'll send you a pm.

PaulineRooney

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »
great thank you Maura   :)  shall look forward to the pm xx

rolohosick

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »
paulinerooney
i do remember that killing ,but  im sure the woods had two bar on york road both owned by brothers and if im right peter woods was the son of one of the bothers the other brother had a son called martin woods who has owns and runs a bar in lambeg for many years  called robbie cahoons  witch do meals,if you want to find more about that faimly he's your man

PaulineRooney

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »
thank you for that info, that must be the same family, peter was known as Gerry, are his brothers still around today?? Any info you have would be great if you can share it with me   

Mari34

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
Does anyone out there remember a Peter Gerard Woods known as Gerry. He is pictured in the St Malachys Collegian 1950s. He ran THE WHITE LION pub on the corner of york road. He lived in Lowwood Park. He was followed home from the pub on the 08 Jan 1972 and was shot dead, apparently for the nights takings. Does anyone remember anything about him, the pub, or his family and friends. He was a good family friend of my grandad Tom Rocks. My mum has memories of getting of the train from greenisland and going to the white lion to wait on her dad, Gerry used to give my mum some money for sweets for her and her brothers and sisters, he would give them stew and a bottle of fizzy orange.

08 January 1972Peter Woods (29) Catholic
Publican, shot during armed robbery at his home, Lowwood Park, Skegoneill, Belfast.
[/font][/size]
[/quote
I lived in Lowwood Park and remember the night Gerry was shot.  I new them very  well his wife Ailish and two.kids lovely family. I used  to look after their kids. M

sj

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 04:14:34 AM »
paulinerooney
i do remember that killing ,but  im sure the woods had two bar on york road both owned by brothers and if im right peter woods was the son of one of the bothers the other brother had a son called martin woods who has owns and runs a bar in lambeg for many years  called robbie cahoons  witch do meals,if you want to find more about that faimly he's your man

In the late 1950's and early 60's I went to dances with Gerry Woods and his cousin Marvin Blake and Leonard Hughes and quite often the Rocks brothers, Brendan, Paddy and Tom went with us.  We stayed in Tom's house in Dublin when we went to the ALL Ireland Final ( the second time that Down won ). Gerry and his father ran the pub at the bottom of Brougham St / York St before he was shot.   Gerry, Leonard, Marvin and Tom all seem to have died too early. :o  Do you have any information about Brendan & Paddy.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Dargan

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
This was a well-liked family torn apart by wickedness of the first degree. I have a vague memory of them all and of Mrs Woods' mother who helped her daughter pick up the pieces. I recall them leaving in an absolutely devastated state. Good luck to them all wherever they are. The following morning after the heinous crime, detectives questioned most people in Lowwood Park and the horrific details became known. All of this is indelibly marked in my mind and I hope that somehow the survivors managed to find a reason to go on in this world. Regards.
One brandy ball later.  

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
This was a well-liked family torn apart by wickedness of the first degree. I have a vague memory of them all and of Mrs Woods' mother who helped her daughter pick up the pieces. I recall them leaving in an absolutely devastated state. Good luck to them all wherever they are. The following morning after the heinous crime, detectives questioned most people in Lowwood Park and the horrific details became known. All of this is indelibly marked in my mind and I hope that somehow the survivors managed to find a reason to go on in this world. Regards.
as dargan said , a well liked family , they lived round the  corner from me ,,
I would of been bout 18, when this crime happened , I spoke to peter on passing in the street
 I don't know much about the white lion , but peter ran/owned the GIBRALTAR BAR on York street
the killers entered his home for the takings that night , he willingly gave them the money and they still
shot him , it was said by the central citizens defence committee , to of been the first sectarian assassination
very sad story ,,, regards tommy
ps HELEN WILL PM YOU SOON , :-*
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Dargan

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
Cheers, tommy  :-* , and I'm glad you came on to speak up about Peter Woods and the utter horror that befell that family - a dark time in the history of our old area. Years later I entered that particular house, knowing the family who took it over. They seemed blissfully unaware of the happening and got on with things, but tragedy struck there for them too as the lovely Mother died suddenly at a very young age. I hope wherever the members of that family are that they are well  too, for they were very welcoming and made great friends and neighbours for the people nearby. And on a lighter note, another family member of theirs was, at the time, either the tallest  or second tallest man in Scotland at a whopping 7ft. 4"! His kilted form was on a photograph on the sideboard. Regards, H.
One brandy ball later.  

Ballintoy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »

As regards Peter Woods, Google this : "08 January 1972Peter Woods"  andyou will
get lots of information.  ;)