Author Topic: Peter Woods RIP anyone know this man?? 41 years ago  (Read 4709 times)

Dargan

Re: Peter Woods RIP anyone know this man?? 41 years ago
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
Otherwise, read this thread for a few personal tributes.
One brandy ball later.  

PaulineRooney

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »

In the late 1950's and early 60's I went to dances with Gerry Woods and his cousin Marvin Blake and Leonard Hughes and quite often the Rocks brothers, Brendan, Paddy and Tom went with us.  We stayed in Tom's house in Dublin when we went to the ALL Ireland Final ( the second time that Down won ). Gerry and his father ran the pub at the bottom of Brougham St / York St before he was shot.   Gerry, Leonard, Marvin and Tom all seem to have died too early. :o  Do you have any information about Brendan & Paddy.

HI Sj, yes i am currently in contact with Brendan Rocks' children, and grandchildren in Canada, he passed away around 2003 in Canada, As for Paddy im still on a mission to find him, he emigrated to america somewhere and has sons, apparently Paddy and his sons came to Ireland around 15-20 years ago looking for family members. Tom being my grandfather died at the age of 29 around 6 months before Gerry woods was murdered. My reason for asking about Gerry woods came about after i visited a medium and he came through, as he was unknown to be (i wasnt born til 85) i recorded the information given and started asking questions. Im told he was close with my granda Tom and just thought it may jog peoples memories of my granda :-) i shall add on a picture of Tom, Paddy & Brendan X

PaulineRooney

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »

Tom Paddy and Brendan Rocks

PaulineRooney

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »

Brendans wedding to Lydia Harrison, with Mary Rocks & Tom Rocks

sj

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 07:57:01 AM »
Hello Pauline.

I can remember sleeping on the floor of your grandparents place in Dublin before the All Ireland Final about 1960.  I met Paddy about 1978 and he was still in Belfast and working on the Antrim Road.   I have a photo someplace taken at a birthday party in Leonards parents house about 1961 and Brendan and Paddy & his to be wife were present. Those photos that you have posted bring back many memories. :)

I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

PaulineRooney

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »
Sorry Sj, my above post regarding Paddy Rocks ive confused him with their fathers brother Paddy who emigrated, Last we know of Paddy, he left his wife May  the kids and apparently ran off with a nun!! Last known whereabouts is somewhere in Cork. Im glad the pictures have given you some nice memories, so that would be my Granda Tom & Nanny Joan's you stayed at. Not sure how long they remained in Dublin as their eldest son Felix was born in Belfast, my mum the eldest girl Mary, was born on the  fireplace of Marsden Gardens. I do have many more pictures of the Rocks' if you wish to send me your email i can forward those :-)

Kess

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »
Does anyone know where Gerry Woods grave is? My mother was a good friend of him back in the day. Kess

PaulineRooney

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Kess, the burial took place at Clandeboye cemetery in Bangor. His father James Woods ran the redcliff hotel in Bangor.

sj

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
There were 8 of us who went to dances at various times around 60 & 61.
Leonard, Marvin . myself went to dances from we were about 15 yrs with Paddy and Brendan and Tom sometimes as he and his wife Mary were around.  Tony Jordan was around, he was Mark Anthony of retail fame, in the early days when we mainly went to the Astor.  As Brendan & Paddy were older they tended to go to the Orchid.   Gerry Woods came with us a few times later to Fruithill but he and I worked shifts in hospitality.  He worked from the family pub near the Midland and I was a trainee manager at the Midland hotel.    Leonard went to America about 61.  It seems that only Tony, myself and Paddy are still alive? :(
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...