Author Topic: Pudysburn Mental Hospital  (Read 23061 times)

welder01

Pudysburn Mental Hospital
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »

Late last year I was asking about medical records regarding my GF who died in there 1/3/1940

Well I wrote to them at Saintfiels Road Belfast.

A long time passes and I was beginning to think my letter had got lost or was ignored.

I received a letter from the senior managrt data protection no less saying that because the notes were so old they had been destroyed.

What a pity they hadn't been put on micro fische.

But they did reply and I thank them fot that.
If not now when?

arder lavery

Re: Pudysburn Mental Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:03 AM »

Late last year I was asking about medical records regarding my GF who died in there 1/3/1940

Well I wrote to them at Saintfiels Road Belfast.

A long time passes and I was beginning to think my letter had got lost or was ignored.

I received a letter from the senior managrt data protection no less saying that because the notes were so old they had been destroyed.

What a pity they hadn't been put on micro fische.

But they did reply and I thank them fot that.
yes, the place did exist, i called there on a weekly basis to visit some one. as you got off the bus and walked inside the main gate there was the singing kettle cafe, and as you walked up the hill there were some horrible sights looking up at the barred windows with poor people screaming out.
i think the reason they told you that the records were lost was because purdysburn was famous for electric shock treatment.
a vicious way to treat humans, with no proven medical results. and now, no way to take these sicko's to task.
visiting was akin to going to the zoo.
arder.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

pajamo46

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:10:30 AM »
yes, the place did exist, i called there on a weekly basis to visit some one. as you got off the bus and walked inside the main gate there was the singing kettle cafe, and as you walked up the hill there were some horrible sights looking up at the barred windows with poor people screaming out.
i think the reason they told you that the records were lost was because purdysburn was famous for electric shock treatment.
a vicious way to treat humans, with no proven medical results. and now, no way to take these sicko's to task.
visiting was akin to going to the zoo.
arder.
I went there twice to visit a sick relative, I was about 12yrs old and the awful memory of that horrible place is still with me, I remember saying that I never wanted to go back ever.

kate.o

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
went to visit my wee brother who was convalescing in another part,
but did see the poor souls in there it was a nightmare, not a good memory. :( :(

sj

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
 Someone will tell us about the use of Purdysburn but I thought that it was originally a fever hospital. ..and then a mental facility? :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

arder lavery

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »

i was visiting and sitting in a ward one day. when nurses walked past and drew curtains around a bed.
the screams and pleas for help that came from behind those curtains will haunt me till the day i die.
i have no idea what was going on, but it scared me to death.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

doare.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
it was once known as "Purdysburn fever" there was  grahams clinic,  it had 2 wings one for females and the other for males. it was used for alcoholics and those with other mental issues, in the grounds  rhododendrons and other such shrubbery helped the less pathological one's to relax. the villa's kept the longer term patients, villa 11 was for the more chronic alcoholics, habitual returners. 
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

welder01

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »

I'd hoped to learn it was an asylum from poverty,but it seems my GF was a sick man.
With no existent records I will never know.

He was a dock labourer.Wouldn't imagine he would earn enough too have an alchohol problem. ???
If not now when?

Astor

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »

I'd hoped to learn it was an asylum from poverty,but it seems my GF was a sick man.
With no existent records I will never know.

He was a dock labourer.Wouldn't imagine he would earn enough too have an alchohol problem. ???

He didn't have to be an drinker to be in there welder01, he could have had any of a number of different health problems to have been in there, the ones mentioned on here are obviously the worst scenaria.   When I was a child my mum used to take us ther to see an old lady who my mum and dad lived with they first got married, she'd gone in there because her mind just started to wander.
Que Sera Sera

barry

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
i was visiting and sitting in a ward one day. when nurses walked past and drew curtains around a bed.
the screams and pleas for help that came from behind those curtains will haunt me till the day i die.
i have no idea what was going on, but it scared me to death.

Who  was  making  all  that  racket  Arder----the  Nurse     :D
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

doare.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45:19 AM »
grahams clinic was only a part of the hospital, it held people with mental issues breakdowns things like that also alcoholics.it was for short term patients.

"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

welder01

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

My Father told me his Father was gassed in the big war 1914-18
Said he didn't last long after that.
Perhaps the out break of WW11 caused him to have a break down?
Only guessing.
If not now when?

Grannylil

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »
As a child, I went with my granny to visit my Mother who spent 10 years on an off in Graham's Home as it was known then.  We went on the green bus every week.  I was terrified of the walk up to and back from the big house.  Many of the mentally ill patients walked around the grounds and were quite frightening to a child.  My Mum had been in a "melancholy state"after suffering severe shock following my father's war death and being blitzed out of 3 homes in England (Manchester, Birmingham and Coventry). My Mum would would whisper her fears to me to pass on to my Granny. She was terrified of the electric shock treatment. The Nurses were like jailers, carrying keys to the wards.  When we left would watch my Mum staring out the window after us.  She passed away (aged 39) after ten years of non-responsive treatment. I suffered nightmares about the place for many years after. Thankfully, mental health treatment has made some progress since then. I hope it will continue to do so.

Astor

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

My Father told me his Father was gassed in the big war 1914-18
Said he didn't last long after that.
Perhaps the out break of WW11 caused him to have a break down?
Only guessing.

Well, after what happened his father W, it would be quite likely that that happened.
Que Sera Sera

Astor

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
As a child, I went with my granny to visit my Mother who spent 10 years on an off in Graham's Home as it was known then.  We went on the green bus every week.  I was terrified of the walk up to and back from the big house.  Many of the mentally ill patients walked around the grounds and were quite frightening to a child.  My Mum had been in a "melancholy state"after suffering severe shock following my father's war death and being blitzed out of 3 homes in England (Manchester, Birmingham and Coventry). My Mum would would whisper her fears to me to pass on to my Granny. She was terrified of the electric shock treatment. The Nurses were like jailers, carrying keys to the wards.  When we left would watch my Mum staring out the window after us.  She passed away (aged 39) after ten years of non-responsive treatment. I suffered nightmares about the place for many years after. Thankfully, mental health treatment has made some progress since then. I hope it will continue to do so.

Very sad times for you and your family Grannylil, and to lose your mum so young must've been dreadful for you.   Like you say, things have definately moved on since those days. We don't know how lucky we are when we hear stories like this about the past.  :-*
Que Sera Sera