Author Topic: Pudysburn Mental Hospital  (Read 22233 times)

harrydunn

Re: Pudysburn Mental Hospital
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Good post hkennedy, My mother in Law spent 28years there she was mentally ill, we visited every other Sunday never saw any patient mistreated in all the visits we made over the years despite some very vicious attacks on the nursing staff from the patients who sadly were unaware of the damage they were doing, my Mother in Law would never leave the home even to go on a daytrip or a drive out in our car on a Sunday she had many friends in the Nurses and treated the place as her home,  unfortunately in the past the medical profession thought electric shop treatment was a cure for many mental health problems.

doare.

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:16 PM »
Good post hkennedy, My mother in Law spent 28years there she was mentally ill, we visited every other Sunday never saw any patient mistreated in all the visits we made over the years despite some very vicious attacks on the nursing staff from the patients who sadly were unaware of the damage they were doing, my Mother in Law would never leave the home even to go on a daytrip or a drive out in our car on a Sunday she had many friends in the Nurses and treated the place as her home,  unfortunately in the past the medical profession thought electric shop treatment was a cure for many mental health problems.
re shock treatment ,the medical people have brought it back in again, they let most of the patients ( long stay) out on the street here, they rely on drugs to keep them in order, a lot of the "drug addicts"and mentally ill in downtown Vancouver is a sad sight to see, we have one of the biggest skid rows in north America, there was a great doctor here who opened a hotel to treat them, showers medical help, he says 95 % of them will not recover, the damage to them as kids is too much and too deep, his name is gabor mate... his book on all this is called "in the realm of hungry ghosts". the phenomena of mental health is sure a complexissue, in the usa in the thirties they legislated to re-introduce the lost minerals and vitamins back into the bread, apparently a half of the mental hospitals were emptied, a lot of patients with" schizophrenia" had pellagra a b vitamin deficiency.a lot of the people in Belfast I am sure were not getting adequate nourishment.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
1935  The Pellagra Incident. After millions of individuals    die from Pellagra over a span of two decades, the U.S. Public Health Service finally acts to stem the disease. The director of the agency admits it had known for at least 20 years that Pellagra is caused by a niacin deficiency but failed to act since most of the deaths occured within poverty-stricken  black populations.journal of orthomolecular medicine andrew saul.....pellagra is also mistaken for schizophrenia.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Giannineo

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »
I'm concerned that so many people are so keen to relate horror stories about the hospital where this man died. Surely it would be more empathetic to try to assuage this man who lost his grandfather. None of you know what experiences he had whilst in hospital so why be so negative?
My grandfather also died in Purdysburn and I tend to dwell on the good memories.  What's the point in telling people what terrible treatment he may have had?
great post hk- Staff in these hospitals have  a very difficult job- some Staff crack under the strain of  the very difficult work- things have changed and the protection in place now re vulnerable people  with mental illness is ever improving.. It is a difficult field to work in  - mistakes and bad treament are not common nowadays but make for good press--the vast majority of good works goes unnoticed as it is not dramatic, scandalous or appealing to the media and readers/ viewers.

doare.

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
1935  The Pellagra Incident. After millions of individuals    die from Pellagra over a span of two decades, the U.S. Public Health Service finally acts to stem the disease. The director of the agency admits it had known for at least 20 years that Pellagra is caused by a niacin deficiency but failed to act since most of the deaths occured within poverty-stricken  black populations.journal of orthomolecular medicine andrew saul.....pellagra is also mistaken for schizophrenia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

welder01

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »

Thank you doare,I had no idea such a disease existed.
With all the E numbers and additives in our present diet causes concern.
If not now when?

doare.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »

Thank you doare,I had no idea such a disease existed.
With all the E numbers and additives in our present diet causes concern.
when I read of the pellagra incident in the states many years ago, I often wondered about Ireland as a whole, ...
 schizophrenia;
prevalence
ABSTRACT  This article reports a study of the prevalence of schizophrenia in 3 counties in Ireland based on case-register data and using a standardized diagnostic instrument the Present State Examination. The estimate of prevalence varies depending on the criteria of schizophrenia employed. A middle-range estimate of 3.9 per 1000 population does not differ substantially from previous estimates of prevalence obtained elsewhere. Over 60% of all schizophrenic prevalence patients and over half of schizophrenic inpatients did not score as cases, suggesting that the continued hospitalization of symptomatically recovered cases has given rise to the mistaken impression that the prevalence of schizophrenia is unduly high in Ireland. The work reported here indicates substantial differences between the results of case ascertainment by hospital admission data compared with those arrived at by standardized interview diagnostic techniques.

Dockominiums

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »
My great aunt a twin brother there .he came back from the war "shell shocked" over the years my great aunt visited her brother every fortnight bringing him fresh fruit ,Warhorse tobacco apple cake and knitting him a sweater every few months.when my G/a became frail I went with her on these visits for afew years I was about 15 at the time.This man had a wife and family who choose to forget all about him .In the years I visited I never saw any thing upsetting usually he would meet us at the gate show us the latest part of the garden he'd been working  then to the large visiting room where every one seemed to be enjoying their visits.I don't doubt there were horrible experiences there for patients and visitors who witnessed them.My great aunt died after a short illness and my mother took on visiting duties but mot for long as he died peacefully in his sleep a couple of months later from no apparent illness.

welder01

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »

I'd to think my GF died peacefully in Purdysburn as I cannot find any medical records.
If not now when?

welder01

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »

I found what I's been searching for

My Grand Father, Samuel Irvine died Purdysburn Mental Hospital 1/3/1940
He was buried City Cemetery-Glenalina Extension 5/3/1940

I found this from Belfast City Council burial records

RIP
If not now when?

welder01

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »

The man in the avatar photo is his Son Samuel my Father b1918 - d1990

RIP
If not now when?

sj

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »
  Well done Welder

It's a good feeling when you find details that you couldn't find ...I recently found a lot of records in the Braid burials where all of the burial grounds around Ballymena are listed ....I had been looking in Ballymena burial grounds. ;)   Good luck.  My grandfather also died in Purdysburn but I have a copy of all that I need.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

magsgr

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
Hi, I worked in the laundry in Purdysburn in the early eighties.  About 10/20 patients from the hospital also worked in the laundry and I became friends with them.  Some of them had been in the hospital for 40 years or so and had been put in for something as simple as having a baby out of wedlock.   A few of the ladies that I knew were being reintroduced into "society"  and where given a flat to live in and were supervisored.    It touch me badly then to think that they had went in at an early age, had spent what should have been the best years of their life there and then in old age they were release.   It was too late for some of them.   All the ones I knew that worked in the laundry were lovely people and I have fond memories of my time there.

Giannineo

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »
Hi, I worked in the laundry in Purdysburn in the early eighties.  About 10/20 patients from the hospital also worked in the laundry and I became friends with them.  Some of them had been in the hospital for 40 years or so and had been put in for something as simple as having a baby out of wedlock.   A few of the ladies that I knew were being reintroduced into "society"  and where given a flat to live in and were supervisored.    It touch me badly then to think that they had went in at an early age, had spent what should have been the best years of their life there and then in old age they were release.   It was too late for some of them.   All the ones I knew that worked in the laundry were lovely people and I have fond memories of my time there.
great post magsgr- the worst stumbling block to people with mental health problems is the ignorance of those whom profess to be sane.

doare.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 07:20:15 AM »
great post magsgr- the worst stumbling block to people with mental health problems is the ignorance of those whom profess to be sane.
that is what happened in the Magdalene laundries, it was how it was in those days, what they do now is fill them with drugs" the pharmaceutical companies) and "farm" the situation for the rest of their lives. they seldom get much better and become dependant on the meds, studies have actually shown the drugs shrink their brains over time. things are beginning to change slowly, aware people are pushing for a different treatment model...this video of 77 minutes is at trinity college Dublin, the speaker is a medical journalist showing the stats of mental treatment since the 50s, very interesting for anyone who may desire to watch, this video is not as concerned with stats as his other talks, his book is "an anatomy of an epidemic" his name is Robert whittaker.