Author Topic: Pudysburn Mental Hospital  (Read 22794 times)

doare.

Re: Pudysburn Mental Hospital
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

sj

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »
  Hello Doare...a big problem here is that patients are prescribed medication, assigned a case manager but there doesn't seem to be any supervision.  Half of them don't take their medication and the politicans won't spend the money on residential places so  we have a big number of people walking around who need help. ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

doare.

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »
  Hello Doare...a big problem here is that patients are prescribed medication, assigned a case manager but there doesn't seem to be any supervision.  Half of them don't take their medication and the politicans won't spend the money on residential places so  we have a big number of people walking around who need help. ;)
f you read this guys article, or better still listen his lecture at trinity college , he says the poorest countries have the best outcomes, because they do not jump in and heavily medicate the first mental incident, they use a watch and wait system, and the patient does not become addicted to the meds, and in the long term they have a better recovery record, they give them low doses, the present medical model is called "psychiatry chemotherapy" by the orthomolecular medical practitioners. the ortho guys use vitamins, nutrition plus low dose psychotropic drugs. the long term patients on meds deteriorate and die in their 50,s usually, their brains shrink, this guy and many others are calling for a new model. the big pharmaceutical companies do not want the model changed, so it will not come from them, they are "farming" it. watch the video or read the article.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtM1R2CKB30
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

tommytwotoes

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 02:00:24 AM »
f you read this guys article, or better still listen his lecture at trinity college , he says the poorest countries have the best outcomes, because they do not jump in and heavily medicate the first mental incident, they use a watch and wait system, and the patient does not become addicted to the meds, and in the long term they have a better recovery record, they give them low doses, the present medical model is called "psychiatry chemotherapy" by the orthomolecular medical practitioners. the ortho guys use vitamins, nutrition plus low dose psychotropic drugs. the long term patients on meds deteriorate and die in their 50,s usually, their brains shrink, this guy and many others are calling for a new model. the big pharmaceutical companies do not want the model changed, so it will not come from them, they are "farming" it. watch the video or read the article.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtM1R2CKB30
doare can i ask have you studied in mental health you seem very clued up on this ,some of this treatment of paitents in scary and abruped not to mention destressing( for the paintents i mean) you see these things in old movies but to think it goes or went on in real life is quite beyond me, i remember purdysburn as a very young boy thut it was just a hospital , rgds tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

doare.

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
doare can i ask have you studied in mental health you seem very clued up on this ,some of this treatment of paitents in scary and abruped not to mention destressing( for the paintents i mean) you see these things in old movies but to think it goes or went on in real life is quite beyond me, i remember purdysburn as a very young boy thut it was just a hospital , rgds tommy
hi tommytwotoes, I have not studied in mental health, I have done some reading on it, I have a personal interest which I wont get into here, so I am aware when I read something that will bring hopefully some change my interest picks up on it,.in the usa this medical journalist points out there was something like 400 million spent on mental health in 1955, the long term care was not like now, many of them went back to work, the model changed in the early sixties to the "chemical treatment" psychotropic drugs were used, the patients were kept on these, now it is something like 25 billion and there are more patients than ever .The lecture at trinity shows many people in the medical system are looking for change.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »
hi tommytwotoes, I have not studied in mental health, I have done some reading on it, I have a personal interest which I wont get into here, so I am aware when I read something that will bring hopefully some change my interest picks up on it,.in the usa this medical journalist points out there was something like 400 million spent on mental health in 1955, the long term care was not like now, many of them went back to work, the model changed in the early sixties to the "chemical treatment" psychotropic drugs were used, the patients were kept on these, now it is something like 25 billion and there are more patients than ever .The lecture at trinity shows many people in the medical system are looking for change.
wow doare thats unreal 400 million ta 25 billion thats mind blowing amounts of money, wen i was little i new a friend of my mum who was in purdysburn obviously we got told she was just in hospital(as in the norm) i thut maybe u had worked there in the past with the knowlage you seem to have on the topic rgds tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Maria webb

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2016, 02:51:52 AM »
My grandfather James maxwell passed away in the hospital sometime in the early 70s he was a merchant seaman who suffered brain injuries in ww2 does anyone remember him ? We are trying to find out the date and year of his death as no one in the family even knows wher he's buried if anyone has any info please feel free to comment many thanks
Maria webb

doare.

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 04:54:42 AM »
My grandfather James maxwell passed away in the hospital sometime in the early 70s he was a merchant seaman who suffered brain injuries in ww2 does anyone remember him ? We are trying to find out the date and year of his death as no one in the family even knows wher he's buried if anyone has any info please feel free to comment many thanks
Maxwell is fairly common name, there were Maxwells in coates street or hastings street these were beside each other...check the directory...

Maria webb

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
Maxwell is fairly common name, there were Maxwells in coates street or hastings street these were beside each other...check the directory...
[/quote I know my grandad lived in pilot street with his wife Mary Jane  maxwell we have records of Mary maxwells death but we are unsure of a date for grandads death as there seems to be no records of him
Maria webb

sj

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
Maria this subject has come up before. .There are hospital records someplace and also a death certificate was issued.  It is hard if you don't have the date but maybe someone else will be able to help?  Happy Christmas :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Maria webb

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
Maria this subject has come up before. .There are hospital records someplace and also a death certificate was issued.  It is hard if you don't have the date but maybe someone else will be able to help?  Happy Christmas :D
Thank you and a very happy Christmas to you too 😀
Maria webb

macroyal

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2016, 12:41:38 AM »
My Granny was in a ward there for the last year or so of her life, Mum visited her a couple of times a week, i went to see her often although i was only young, she was in a geriatric ward, it was bright , clean and tidy and the staff were dressed like normal nurses, I remember when we went as a family to see her she thought one of my older brothers was her husband ,there was a similarity as both were tall and had the same coloured hair, near the end her voice had gone, but when the sunday services were broadcast on the wards she would silently mouth all the words to the hymns. i have her death certificate here it was not issued by the hospital, but somewhere else ,but it does say ,place of death Purdysburn hospital, that was late 60s i think will get it out, sometime and see if there is any additional information on it, i am away for Christmas so have a good one all of you's lot.

jacq.mcc

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »
My Mother. Elsie McClenaghan was a patient in Purdysburn, circa 1965
I have tried over t