Author Topic: Did Anyone Work At Belfast City Hospital?  (Read 6561 times)

Tipperdarby

Did Anyone Work At Belfast City Hospital?
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »

I trained as a nurse at BCH and they were wonderful years. I started in July 1968 when I was only 17, finished my training in 0ct 1971 and continued working there until I left for Canada in 1977. I am still in touch with a number of my nursing friends, we had our 40th reunion in Belfast in 2008 and the craic was great. There are plans to have our 45th reunion in Edinburgh later this year, not sure if I will make that. I would love to hear from anyone who worked at the City in those years in any capacity.

belle

Re: Did Anyone Work At Belfast City Hospital?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
oh tipperdarby, you're very beautiful :-*
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
oh tipperdarby, you're very beautiful :-*
Bless your heart Belle, that is not a word I would ever have used to describe me. However, I can look back now and think I was kinda cute.
Thank you for that though.

belle

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
Bless your heart Belle, that is not a word I would ever have used to describe me. However, I can look back now and think I was kinda cute.
Thank you for that though.
you're very welcome and i mean it, you are :-* :-*

Farnsbarn

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

I trained as a nurse at BCH and they were wonderful years. I started in July 1968 when I was only 17, finished my training in 0ct 1971 and continued working there until I left for Canada in 1977. I am still in touch with a number of my nursing friends, we had our 40th reunion in Belfast in 2008 and the craic was great. There are plans to have our 45th reunion in Edinburgh later this year, not sure if I will make that. I would love to hear from anyone who worked at the City in those years in any capacity.
    Hi Tipperdarby,
      You haven't changed a bit,
           Regards,
                farnsbarn.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
Ok smart Alec Farnsbarn. .You saw me a week ago, are you trying to tell me that the face I looked at this morning looked like that when I was 19 :) :o

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »

[/quote

Hi Eileen you were really cute. Elizabeth

barry

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »

Oh  Nurse -Nurse, I'm  getting  worse  (  bet  ya  heard that  a  few  times Eileen )     :D
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:11 AM »
Thanks Elizabeth. I cannot believe that there is not one person on this forum who worked at BCH !!!

I loved the picture of you in your red onesie, it was brilliant and the red cowboy hat just set it off beautifully.
Eileen

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:50 AM »
Thanks Elizabeth. I cannot believe that there is not one person on this forum who worked at BCH !!!

I loved the picture of you in your red onesie, it was brilliant and the red cowboy hat just set it off beautifully.
Eileen

That is the kind of silly stuff i get up to when i am let loose Ha Ha.
Amazing was there not on reply you would think there would be someone. Liz.

jack8960

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:27 AM »
Hello - I didn't work at the hospital  but I did have a good friend who trained there around the same time- her name was Mary McGrath.  I have tried to find out where she is now and have posted on other sites on the forum - I think Mary went off to work in the USA for a time and I know she returned to Northern Ireland for a while.  I remember one of her nursing friends called Ann Laird. 

Tipperdarby

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »
Hello - I didn't work at the hospital  but I did have a good friend who trained there around the same time- her name was Mary McGrath.  I have tried to find out where she is now and have posted on other sites on the forum - I think Mary went off to work in the USA for a time and I know she returned to Northern Ireland for a while.  I remember one of her nursing friends called Ann Laird.
Sorry Jack, I don't recognize those names. Did they do their training between 1968 and 1971?

jack8960

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
Hello Eileen - yes Mary trained during those years - and stayed on for further training as a midwife - another one of her friends was called Elaine - who married a then student doctor called Greg Heaney.  I also knew a nurse (not the same training intake as Mary) called Isabel Keily.  Maybe some of the names will jog someone's memory.  Jacqueline 

Tipperdarby

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47:13 AM »

Oh  Nurse -Nurse, I'm  getting  worse  (  bet  ya  heard that  a  few  times Eileen )     :D

Sure did Barry.
You know what though, most people back in the day respected nurses a lot. I remember one time  when I was about 18 going home from night shift wearing my outdoor uniform and a wee older man was going to work and he lifted his cap to me and said "Mornin' nurse, I hope you sleep well the day" I remember thinking "Oh Mister, I know nothing, you don't need to lift your cap to the likes of me. I should be showing respect to you." I hardly ever had to pay bus fare if I was wearing my uniform. The conductor would just walk on by and if the inspector got on the conductor would rush down and give me a ticket, which meant of course that he paid the fare himself.
Changed times for all of us, there isn't a lot of respect shown to anyone these days.     Oh boy, now I sound as if I'm ancient, rabbiting on "We'll in my day. Blah blah blah" :)

belle

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
tipperdarby, you're last post was interesting. I'm not sure where in the world you are so forgive me if you already know this. about two weeks ago there was an article in the papers saying that nursers were going to be given lessons in compassion!  :o The reason being is they are university trained now and haven't time to spend with patients. I always thought that the reason for going into nursing was to look after people.  It used to be when you went into hospital nurses looked after you and made you feel safe,  i hate to say this but my recent experiences of the nursing profession has not been good.