Author Topic: Did Anyone Work At Belfast City Hospital?  (Read 5919 times)

Kathleen2

Re: Did Anyone Work At Belfast City Hospital?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
My mother worked at the BCH but as a domestic. Her name was Maud McGimpsey.
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
tipperdarby, you're last post was interesting. I'm not sure where in the world you are so forgive me if you already know this. about two weeks ago there was an article in the papers saying that nursers were going to be given lessons in compassion!  :o The reason being is they are university trained now and haven't time to spend with patients. I always thought that the reason for going into nursing was to look after people.  It used to be when you went into hospital nurses looked after you and made you feel safe,  i hate to say this but my recent experiences of the nursing profession has not been good.
Oh Belle, how can they possibly be taught compassion!!! Isn't that just ridiculous?
Unfortunately I have had experience of poor nursing care, for myself 17 years ago when I  had surgery for breast cancer and more recently in 2009 when my beloved Dad had a massive heart attack and was allowed to walk to the bathroom by himself the next day. He was in hospital for 10 days  and he only had a shower once during that time. I would have gladly helped him but he was a very modest man and he would have been totally affronted and my wee Mom wasn't physically capable of helping him.
Last year though, my Mom fell and got a brain bleed and was admitted to hospital. I was in Arizona at the time so by the time I got home to Vancouver Island she was already unconscious and was dying. The care in the regular ward was not great as far as I was concerned but I was able to get her admitted to the Palliative Care Unit and my faith in nursing was restored!! The nursing care was second to none, they were amazing. They cared about our whole family and even though Mammy was unconscious they wanted to know all about her, where she was from and what kind of woman she was. We didn't have to do anything, just be with her. They fixed up a bed for whoever was staying the night and they would bring us warm blankets. They remembered our names and, most of all they were a team.I believe that is what is missing today, no teamwork.
My daughter is a University educated nurse (nurses aren't trained any more don't you know, they are educated!!) During her student days I was pretty horrified at the lack of hands on care they did so I encouraged her to seek out nurses who she thought would be amenable to having her learn from them. She did that plus she got a job at the end of her first year as a care aide on a busy medical unit and boy, did she learn basic nursing care then.  In her 3rd and 4th years she worked as an undergraduate nurse which meant she carried a full patient load so by the time she graduated she was as well trained as I was. Interestingly, the head nurses on those 2 units were from Ireland and they had high expectations. Today she works in a large ER in Calgary, Canada and she is still a good compassionate nurse but also a very knowledgeable one. Her manager has received a number of letters from patients and their families, praising Elaine and that does not happen very often in ER. I have asked her about her colleagues and she said a lot of them are excellent but she is very disappointed in some of them.
I retired 6 yrs ago as an Occupational Health Nurse so it had been a long time since I did bedside nursing. Part of my job was to meet all the new employees and make sure their immunizations were up to date. I used to be horrified at times, I would call up to a unit and ask for so and so and be told they had never heard of her. They didn't even know each other!!! What does that say about some of them?

Tipperdarby

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
My mother worked at the BCH but as a domestic. Her name was Maud McGimpsey.
Kathleen, I knew quite a few of the domestics but I didn't know a Maud. Those women worked very very hard back in the day but we would have the best craic at times. We were a team!

Kathleen2

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
Kathleen, I knew quite a few of the domestics but I didn't know a Maud. Those women worked very very hard back in the day but we would have the best craic at times. We were a team!

Tipperdarby my mum loved the nurses on the wards where she worked. I remember she would often come home and tell my dad and I that so many of them were very worried about passing their exams and she said she would always try and make them a cup of tea and give them words of encouragement.
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

Tipperdarby my mum loved the nurses on the wards where she worked. I remember she would often come home and tell my dad and I that so many of them were very worried about passing their exams and she said she would always try and make them a cup of tea and give them words of encouragement.
Yes Kathleen, that is how it was in those days. So many of the nurses were from "the country" and the domestics were like a bunch of mothers looking after their wee hens.
They also took great pride in their work, they could teach today's hospital housekeepers a thing or two!

belle

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
I'll tell you a wee story, but i know we all have our own horror stories. I went into hospital for an operation, quite serious really. The bed i was shown to wasn't  made. Underneath the bed was a dirty blood stained dressing. The bedside cabinet was covered in something sticky, i have no idea what it was. When i said to the nurse about the dressing and the sticky stuff she shrugged her shoulders, left me in the chair and when i looked down at the nurses station she had her feet on the desk laughing with the other nurses and drinking tea/coffee and dipping biscuit's in! i was worried sick about what would happen to me. I was brought my tea, a sandwich and a cup of tea, the sandwich fell on the floor and the orderly wiped it on her overall and left it on my tray. I didn't eat it.... I signed myself out two days after the operation.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
I'll tell you a wee story, but i know we all have our own horror stories. I went into hospital for an operation, quite serious really. The bed i was shown to wasn't  made. Underneath the bed was a dirty blood stained dressing. The bedside cabinet was covered in something sticky, i have no idea what it was. When i said to the nurse about the dressing and the sticky stuff she shrugged her shoulders, left me in the chair and when i looked down at the nurses station she had her feet on the desk laughing with the other nurses and drinking tea/coffee and dipping biscuit's in! i was worried sick about what would happen to me. I was brought my tea, a sandwich and a cup of tea, the sandwich fell on the floor and the orderly wiped it on her overall and left it on my tray. I didn't eat it.... I signed myself out two days after the operation.
Whaaaaat!!! That is the worst I have ever heard.  Please do not tell me there are worse stories. Where do you live Belle?

belle

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
I live in Bristol. I could tell you more but i know you wouldn't believe me! My dear mum and dad had and my lovely mother in law had dreadful experiences as well. Heart breaking.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »
I live in Bristol. I could tell you more but i know you wouldn't believe me! My dear mum and dad had and my lovely mother in law had dreadful experiences as well. Heart breaking.
I don't suppose people would get anywhere complaining to the "powers that be" ? What on earth is happening in Health Care?  God help us all, what is ahead of us???

belle

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
Yes indeed, love, God help us all :-*

isabell lee

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
yes I did in 1963,I did SEN training then after that went to do general training in the same hospital . I was wearing a green dress on Sunday night on a late shift, and on Monday I changed into a  blue dress. We stayed in Adelaide Park or gardens.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
yes I did in 1963,I did SEN training then after that went to do general training in the same hospital . I was wearing a green dress on Sunday night on a late shift, and on Monday I changed into a  blue dress. We stayed in Adelaide Park or gardens.
Hi Isabell,
We spent our first 6 weeks up the Malone somewhere, maybe Adelaide I don't remember. Mrs Lamb was the warden and she was a piece of work! If she was upset at someone she would get us all out if bed at whatever time suited her and give us all the rounds of the kitchen. She had a "skelly eye" and we never knew which one of us she was looking at!!
Did you work at BCH for long? After I finished my training I worked in CCU, that was a great place to work. When someone had a cardiac arrest in another ward we had to bring the crash cart and there was such an adrenaline rush from running like mad through the hospital and then trying to save a life! It was very gratifying when we were successful and very sad when we were not.

J J Murray

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
 . I cannot believe that there is not one person on this forum who worked at BCH !
I currently work in the BCH as a porter, have done since 1980. A few names that might have been there when you trained: Alana Rock ( nursing officer) May Dawson (sister ward 2) Mary Grant (sister ward 10) Mary Smith (Theatres) Sharon Uprichard (Theatres) ???

Tipperdarby

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »
I currently work in the BCH as a porter, have done since 1980. A few names that might have been there when you trained: Alana Rock ( nursing officer) May Dawson (sister ward 2) Mary Grant (sister ward 10) Mary Smith (Theatres) Sharon Uprichard (Theatres) ???
Who can ever forget Assistant Matron  Alana Rock!! As young students we were petrified of her. .she would appear on the ward doing her rounds and Heaven help us if the patients were not all in their beds and not a wrinkle to be seen in the bedding. The bedside tables had to be in place and perhaps just a drink of water on them. She would be turning in her grave at the state of the wards nowadays. One of her many idiosyncrasies was that we were not to have red and white flowers in the same vase.....apparently it was the sign of an imminent death!! The best story about Miss Rock (who knows if it was true) .she got off the bus one night going home to her place up the Malone Road when a guy"flashed" her. She lifted her umbrella and threatened him with it saying "put that thing away, I have seen too many of those in my day, you don't scare me you dirty brute"
I remember Sisters Dawson and Grant but I don't remember the Theatre sisters.Did you know Jo Trainor who was a Theatre sister? You would know Anna Gribben (I don't remember if that is her married name or not, when I visited BCH in 1997 I was told she was a nursing officer) I worked with her in CCU, a lovely person. Did you know Ruby Patterson sister CCU and Eileen Mc Mullen sister ward 8?
Boy, you have worked there a long time, you have certainly seen many many changes.
Thanks for your response JJ.
Eileen

auldhand

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 11:24:33 PM »
Hi Tipperdarby,
From Belfast now live in Canada. I was a patient at the BCH 1965, I know you started a little later, but would you remember a nurse called Nurse Houston or Huston. She made my stay over Xmas wonderful. I was 15 at the time. She was a bling girl probably in her early twenties.
Hope you are keeping happy and well.
Kind Regards